Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,338 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!

We have been looking to relocate from Philly to Houston. We have been looking online at homes and like what we see (and thanks to this board know where to look ) I was wondering if you guys could give some input on how the general construction/carpentry business is going in Houston. Is it hard to get in a construction job down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Right now, some areas are short on people, like The Woodlands area - new construction cannot keep up.

However, remember that our construction work force is non-union. The pay may not be what you get in the NE.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Some don't like what I say because I tell it like it is. The truth is the construction trades suck in Houston. It's barely if at all better then the rest of the country. Which is in the deepest economic depression since 1929. The construction industry in particular has been devastated.

Here are a few facts:

Housing prices have fallen further during this economic depression (26 percent), then they did during the Great Depression (25.9 percent). (source zillow) Approximately 11 percent of all homes in the United States are currently standing empty. In fact, there are many new housing developments across the U.S. that resemble little more than ghost towns because foreclosures have wiped them out. Mortgage delinquencies and foreclosures reached new highs in 2011, and it is being projected that banks and financial institutions will repossess at least a million more U.S. homes during 2012. Meanwhile, unemployment is absolutely rampant, especially in the construction trades and wage levels are going down at a time when mortgage lending standards have been significantly tightened. That means that there are very few qualified buyers running around out there and that is going to continue to be the case for many many years to come. When you add all of those factors up, it leads to one inescapable conclusion.

They call it the American dream because you have to be asleep to experience it. The American dream has become the American nightmare!!!

48% of the homes in America are at least 1 month behind on their mortgage and 12% are more then 3 months behind.

I ask you.......does this sound like the construction and housing industry is booming? I suspect you are leaving your area to find a better economy. Unless you're an Engineer, Machinist, Pipe Fitter or Welder which are the only trades with a very serious demand, then get in line with all the other Carpenters and the like. When this subject came up another time some positive thinking person said construction jobs are growing on trees here. Go check the job boards. There are none. When I posted a job for my store I got so many apps that I took the stupid ad out by noon just to shut the phone up. The majority of applications I received, they could not read, write or speak English. So sad.

While I see decent activity in the Katy, especially Cinco Ranch area which is west of Houston, it is not setting the industry on fire. The unemployment rate among construction professionals are over 50% by all non government statistics. Not very promising by any stretch.

Is Houston a decent place to relocate? Yes if you can tolerate the worst traffic on earth. But when you get here, if you get a job first AND THEN find your residence you can keep that commute at something less then a stressful obstacle course that tests your wits and patience to the core. Outside that, it's a good move for anyone starting over or just wanting something different.

Good luck to ya my friend

Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Some don't like what I say because I tell it like it is. The truth is the construction trades suck in Houston. It's barely if at all better then the rest of the country. Which is in the deepest economic depression since 1929. The construction industry in particular has been devastated.

Here are a few facts:<snip>

While I see decent activity in the Katy, especially Cinco Ranch area which is west of Houston, it is not setting the industry on fire. The unemployment rate among construction professionals are over 50% by all non government statistics. Not very promising by any stretch.
You couldn't be more wrong. You state it sucks in Houston, then proceed to use data & quotes from across the country. Yes, we know the foreclosure rate is scary high across the US. BUT NOT HERE. That's why he wants to move here.

Sales of existing homes are up double digits. New home starts were up about 12% in 2012, and projected to be up 10-12% again in 2013.

One factor limiting our starts is the shortage of skilled trades. Builders are having a heck of a time finding skilled framers, carpenters, cornice crews, etc. Many of our trades left during the crunch, and have not returned.

If you are skilled, you will find a job. 50% unemployment? Not in my world. I work in the home building industry, and can guarantee you good people are once again hard to find. Hiring is up and salaries are slowly rising too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Is Houston a decent place to relocate? Yes if you can tolerate the worst traffic on earth. But when you get here, if you get a job first AND THEN find your residence you can keep that commute at something less then a stressful obstacle course that tests your wits and patience to the core. Outside that, it's a good move for anyone starting over or just wanting something different.

Good luck to ya my friend
Again, WTH are you reading? The unemployment rate in Houston is MUCH lower than across the US. And while we have traffic (you don't get to be #4 in size without some traffic), we have one of the highest regarded highway systems in the country. Houston is an amazingly easy city to get around.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM

94 posts, read 172,388 times
Perhaps someone can offer suggestions on how to get in touch with the builders who need skilled labor on their projects.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You couldn't be more wrong. You state it sucks in Houston, then proceed to use data & quotes from across the country. Yes, we know the foreclosure rate is scary high across the US. BUT NOT HERE. That's why he wants to move here.

Sales of existing homes are up double digits. New home starts were up about 12% in 2012, and projected to be up 10-12% again in 2013.

One factor limiting our starts is the shortage of skilled trades. Builders are having a heck of a time finding skilled framers, carpenters, cornice crews, etc. Many of our trades left during the crunch, and have not returned.

If you are skilled, you will find a job. 50% unemployment? Not in my world. I work in the home building industry, and can guarantee you good people are once again hard to find. Hiring is up and salaries are slowly rising too.

Again, WTH are you reading? The unemployment rate in Houston is MUCH lower than across the US. And while we have traffic (you don't get to be #4 in size without some traffic), we have one of the highest regarded highway systems in the country. Houston is an amazingly easy city to get around.
This is what I am finding. We have less inventory now than in 2004, one of our biggest boom years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProfessional View Post
Perhaps someone can offer suggestions on how to get in touch with the builders who need skilled labor on their projects.
I am hearing it from all of them. Just go online for new homes in Houston and start contacting.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM

47 posts, read 175,626 times
Astrohip hit it on the head. Skilled labor is hard to find. If you are willing to work, especially in construction, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a job.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
You cant find skilled labor for any trade, not just home construction...skilled labor is like a winning lottery ticket these days. All of the people who are unemployed in Houston, are unemployed b/c they are unemployable or they don't want to take a good job that they think is below them.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
oh and you most likely have to pass a drug screen...

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
oh and you most likely have to pass a drug screen...
Yeah, there is that.

Not just construction. I have a good friend who owns a shop that uses machinists. Impossible to find. And they can name their price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston