Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times

Advertisements

I can tell you that this morning it was a parking lot from The Woodlands going South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,415,719 times
I have a coworker that makes this drive every day. If she goes early or late (flex schedule) its about 45 minutes to an hour. If she hits rush hour, its not less than an hour and 15 minutes...usually an hour and a half. If anybody tells you its less, they are not being honest.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,756,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I can tell you that this morning it was a parking lot from The Woodlands going South
I can confirm that. All you guys here begging for rain. Well, you got it! Hope you like driving in it.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,368,358 times
Live where you work and a rainy drive is NBD. Heck, rain suits and walking the dog the park in drizzly weather is NBD either. I understand though, commuting changed my personality too. Moving from a place where half the people were miserable, to where 95 % were happy was a savior. Took a few years to detox from it, now its allll good.

Back to rain....Just think of July, and suddenly its not so bad.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,402,808 times
You shouldn't even think about this...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Live where you work and a rainy drive is NBD. Heck, rain suits and walking the dog the park in drizzly weather is NBD either. I understand though, commuting changed my personality too. Moving from a place where half the people were miserable, to where 95 % were happy was a savior. Took a few years to detox from it, now its allll good.

Back to rain....Just think of July, and suddenly its not so bad.
Yeah but you have to feel for people who don't have the money to just up and leave every time they get a new job. I mean, not everyone is 25 and single and moving from one bedroom apt to another. What do you do is you have a wife, 3 kids and a mortgage? And your kids really like their friends and their school? Church? Sports leagues? And so on. Yeah, move where you work when you get that first job. I have some friends in the oil and gas sector who have worked for 5 companies in 5 years.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,368,358 times
Wow. Hope things get better for you.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Wow. Hope things get better for you.

For me? I'm asking a serious question. Surely there are some people on here that are married with kids? What are these people suppose to do? Come on now. Everyone here is loaded? Everyone here can afford to sell their house and hit the bid at a loss and just up and move and pay the offer in a new neighborhood? This is something I have thought about since moving down here and quite frankly, how I find a solution to it will ultimately determine if I stay or move back to a mass transit friendly city. So let me try this again, what are most people suppose to do in this situation? Yes, I get it. For the 25 year old bachelor living in the one bedroom, just break your lease and move. Got it. Now what about everybody else?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,938,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
For me? I'm asking a serious question. Surely there are some people on here that are married with kids? What are these people suppose to do? Come on now. Everyone here is loaded? Everyone here can afford to sell their house and hit the bid at a loss and just up and move and pay the offer in a new neighborhood? This is something I have thought about since moving down here and quite frankly, how I find a solution to it will ultimately determine if I stay or move back to a mass transit friendly city. So let me try this again, what are most people suppose to do in this situation? Yes, I get it. For the 25 year old bachelor living in the one bedroom, just break your lease and move. Got it. Now what about everybody else?
Can't solve everyone's issue, but I know I specifically passed on jobs with long commutes from my house. Some people are more immune to its effects than others too. But if you hate a long commute, reducing it by moving can seriously help your mental health. That's all EA was saying. The other stuff is trade offs.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,347,587 times
I work in the EC and have several coworkers who live in TW.
Most come into work early, around 6amish, most also take the backroads and never hit I45 or BW8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston