Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM

67 posts, read 162,717 times

Advertisements

I'm just a young professional that is thinking about getting involved in some capacity in a charitable or non-profit effort in the Houston area that I can focus on after work or on weekends. I don't really know where to start to look..

Back when I was in undergrad, I put in some time with my school's charitable programs and I just think it's worth the time to take a little bit of time out of your life to explore that possibility in yourself -- does that sound cheesy? Anyways, it was pretty easy... The school organized it, I knew what was available just by talking to people. In this massive city, I don't really know where to start to look for that, other than Google of course

Just looking for some ideas about what kind of opportunities are out there. I've thought about starting my own, but I'm still pretty young for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,527,050 times
Sorry I missed your question yesterday. Doesn't seem to be too many people here who give their time to help the needy.

Join me here if you wish. I work with this group. I can speak highly for them
http://www.eternalfoodministry.org/

Here is another one which I endorse. I know several people here and will be joining them next month.
Mercy Street

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM

184 posts, read 313,621 times
What are your interests? What do you care about? These are things you should look for. Passion projects.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM

363 posts, read 1,141,897 times
There are numerous organizations that have young professional groups such as The American Cancer Society. My recommendation ---If you have a passion for certain cause, google the organization and see what volunteer opportunities exist.

Check out this site to get an idea of some organizations out there---
Top Nonprofit Organizations Around Houston, TX - GreatNonprofits

Do you have a particular cause that you care about?? Ex.. Arts, nature, health, animals, helping needy, children causes/advocacy etc. etc. That might help narrow options.

Last edited by Maybe So; 01-17-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM

498 posts, read 832,991 times
My wife volunteers her time and money to Red Collar Rescue, a very worthy venture in my opinion.

Red Collar Rescue

Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,179,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
What are your interests? What do you care about? These are things you should look for. Passion projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
Do you have a particular cause that you care about?? Ex.. Arts, nature, health, animals, helping needy, children causes/advocacy etc. etc. That might help narrow options.
Looking forward to your response to this. I have always found that passion drives caring.

Personally, I am actively involved in HomeAid Houston. From their web site:

Quote:
HomeAid Houston Is...

HomeAid Houston, a 501(c)(3) charity sponsored by the Greater Houston Builders Association, identifies long term, stable homeless care providers who need additional capacity and pairs them with GHBA builders, vendors and suppliers who donate their time, materials and labor to help build transitional homeless shelters. Our agencies serve those who are homeless:
  • Women in Crisis Pregnancy
  • Victims of Domestic Violence and Spousal Desertion
  • Abused Children
  • Mentally Challenged
  • Adults Living with HIV/AIDS
  • Families & individuals Homeless as a result of job loss or catastrophic illness
  • Individuals and families suffering from drug and alcohol abuse
In addition, HomeAid Houston serves as a housing developer and liaison between homeless care providers, the community at large, volunteers, residential builders, remodelers and developers and their suppliers and vendors. If you are an agency that provides care for temporarily homeless families and individuals, click here.
Since 2003, HomeAid Houston has added 390 beds to the Houston homeless community, providing days and nights of care for over 4500 men, women and children. The agency is currently working on several major construction projects, along with four Homeaid Care projects for 2012.
PS: I have a friend active in Red Collar. I always send them some money every year. GREAT cause!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,142,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sorry I missed your question yesterday. Doesn't seem to be too many people here who give their time to help the needy.
Why do you say that?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,171,815 times
City Wide Club of Clubs | Home
Quote:
City Wide Club of Clubs (CWCC) is the outgrowth of an effort begun in 1975 by local high school and college students wanting to give back to their local community (Harris County) of their time and talent. Students held educational and career discussion seminars for junior and high school students. The panels consisted of professionals from the community who were invited to take part in discussions with students. Some of the topics covered included career goals, scholarships, drugs, teen pregnancy, crime and higher education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: