Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Yeah, I thought I would get a reply like this. Let me clarify. I am an educated (Ph.D in science field), Asian who decided to be a stay at home mom. Due to my husbands' job, we have lived across the US, Shanghai, and London. In all these numerous moves, I have experienced a common phenomenom: in those neighborhoods that we haved lived in that were mainly white (whether native or transplants) I struggled to find any sense of community beyond the polite, distant acknowlegment every now and then. Dinner invitations were rarely reciprocated, plates of home-baked Christmas cookies cooly accepted, and efforts to make eye contact while out in the neighborhood in order to say "hi!" rarely returned.

I love to bike, hike, garden, read (tried joining neighborhood book clubs to no avail), travel, visit museums, am curious about others' life experiences and different cultures, moderate/independent politically. I believe that all these traits should lend itself to being a good neighbor and having some success in making new friends in these neighborhood, but this was not the case. In areas I lived that contained a higher proportion of minorities I had no such problem. Made long-standing friend from people from all over the world of many ethnicities: Afghan, Persians, Greek, Bulgarians, Mexicans, Indians, Chinese, Morroccan, Thais...

Although I would love to live in the 77079 area, with it's mature leafy neighborhoods, parks, and access to those amenities that would enhance my lifestyle, I am hesistant to put down so much money (we were looking at $750,000-900,000 homes) if I find myself in a neighborhood where I will have difficulty in forming a sense of community with my neighbors, playmates for my kids, and just new friends in general.

So I ask this question not to "be with my own" or in order to stay away from "white people" (my husband is a Yankee of English extraction), but to ensure that I will find a welcoming neighborhood community regardless of my skin color.

I found this post to be quite sad. Let me offer a theory on this. For the most part, the large cities around the world you mentioned and didn't mention typically are very segregated where wealth is heavily concentrated. Because of this, these all "white communities" you talk about tend to be less friendly because they are living in a concentrated area not based on culture but on wealth. I saw this in NY, LA, Chicago and even London. In Houston, because it's so affordable, people don't have to all live together in a concentrated area based solely on socio-economic status. In fact, most people in Houston live where they do based on traffic. But many who are more flexible, can choose to live just about anywhere. Houston in my opinion is very unique in this regard. Therefore I don't think you are going to encounter the same issues as other large cities.

I have found the "white" people here to be very friendly and open. As many of mentioned here, most of the burbs are full of transplants now. They are from all over and generally are eager to make new friends regardless of your ethnicity and background.

It just saddens me that anyone would stereotype all "white" people as anything just as it saddens me to stereotype all "black" people or all "asian" people into categories. Especially someone with a PHD who should know better. I guess what frustrates me is "true" integration will never happen as long as people hold these views.

Anyway, I think you will find Houston does not have many of the same problems that other large US cities have where people all live among their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 03:19 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,988,848 times
Quote:
That is something we struggle with - prioritizing our criteria in order to maximize our family's happiness. An approx. 30 min commute is our limit, otherwise my husband and children will not see much of each other during weekdays. My kids go to bed around 7:30pm (they are just entering elementary school).

I just want as much information as possible about what is available in Houston in order to make an informed choice as to where to best live for ALL of us. So, nothing even slightly resembling the demographics of Sugar Land exist? Again, it is not about staying away from white folks, just living in a open-minded, ethnically diverse, welcoming neighborhood.

As for your previous question about my decision to be a SAHM:

1. The demanding nature of my career greatly conflicted with my ability to raise my young children well (according to my values).
2. Frequent moves due to nature of husbands' job, some internationally.
3. Due to #2., not having family support.
4. Evolving interests/priorities from when I decided to pursue the original career choice.

I think when you are young, you tend to live more in the now, and not think as much about the impact of decisions down the road.
Not so much Asian wise. Most tend to concentrate in SL. But I have heard that Jersey Village has a decently high Asian demographics.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I found this post to be quite sad. Let me offer a theory on this. For the most part, the large cities around the world you mentioned and didn't mention typically are very segregated where wealth is heavily concentrated. Because of this, these all "white communities" you talk about tend to be less friendly because they are living in a concentrated area not based on culture but on wealth. I saw this in NY, LA, Chicago and even London. In Houston, because it's so affordable, people don't have to all live together in a concentrated area based solely on socio-economic status. In fact, most people in Houston live where they do based on traffic. But many who are more flexible, can choose to live just about anywhere. Houston in my opinion is very unique in this regard. Therefore I don't think you are going to encounter the same issues as other large cities.

I have found the "white" people here to be very friendly and open. As many of mentioned here, most of the burbs are full of transplants now. They are from all over and generally are eager to make new friends regardless of your ethnicity and background.

It just saddens me that anyone would stereotype all "white" people as anything just as it saddens me to stereotype all "black" people or all "asian" people into categories. Especially someone with a PHD who should know better. I guess what frustrates me is "true" integration will never happen as long as people hold these views.

Anyway, I think you will find Houston does not have many of the same problems that other large US cities have where people all live among their own.
OT but OK, I'll bite...

Nowhere in my comments did I stereotype all white people as anything. Please don't put words in my mouth, or make baseless assumptions. You do know that Bulgarians, Greeks, Russians, and oh yeah, that English chap I befriended in the UK, are "white", don't you?

I agree, it's sad what I experienced. It's sad that there should exist residential areas that is over 90% anything -be it black, white, yellow, brown, purple - in one of the most diverse (if not the most diverse) city in the country. Why is this so? Many reasons I'm sure, ranging from logistics, opportunity (or lack thereof), cultural, or something darker. I love Houston for it's diversity (including straight-talking native Texans), and want to live in an area where I can find it.

But you know what's even sadder? What I experienced is not unique to me, and occurs more frequently than I care for among those I call friends and acquantainces. These include a couple of senior executives of large, well-known Fortune 500 companies, a practicing MD/PhD medical researcher, a college professor, a lawyer, and an engineer or two, or three. All well-educated, well-traveled, out-going people who have lived throughout the US and many parts of the world.

My scientific training taught me to make conclusions based upon facts, observations (both first-hand and second-hand), and statistics/probabilities. Based upon these, I concluded that, statistically, residental areas more than 90% white, in one of the most diverse cities in the US, would probably not be a good fit for me for various reasons. Any problems with that? Sure, there's a chance I am wrong, but why take it? To prove/disprove a point? When we are looking at sinking anywhere from $750,000-900,000 (and not looking at McMansions mind you)?

Now, I can't stop you from making inaccurate assumptions about me (of the kind you presume of me), but do so while contributing to the original query of this thread, if you please. Otherwise, start another thread on this topic and I'll be glad to join in on any intelligent, thoughtful discussions.

have a good day.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,291 times
No worries, Jek74 missed the point.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Yes, hopefully Houston can be as inclusive as Hong Kong one day.....

Somehow I think this thread was a bait, call me silly but...

Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
In 77080, there's an area called rollingwood with a mid century modern listing that is just north of long point rd and the Korean area that might be a nice compromise. Near alot of ethnicity but very large lot ranches. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,177 times
Quote:
OT but OK, I'll bite...

Nowhere in my comments did I stereotype all white people as anything. Please don't put words in my mouth, or make baseless assumptions. You do know that Bulgarians, Greeks, Russians, and oh yeah, that English chap I befriended in the UK, are "white", don't you?

I agree, it's sad what I experienced. It's sad that there should exist residential areas that is over 90% anything -be it black, white, yellow, brown, purple - in one of the most diverse (if not the most diverse) city in the country. Why is this so? Many reasons I'm sure, ranging from logistics, opportunity (or lack thereof), cultural, or something darker. I love Houston for it's diversity (including straight-talking native Texans), and want to live in an area where I can find it.

But you know what's even sadder? What I experienced is not unique to me, and occurs more frequently than I care for among those I call friends and acquantainces. These include a couple of senior executives of large, well-known Fortune 500 companies, a practicing MD/PhD medical researcher, a college professor, a lawyer, and an engineer or two, or three. All well-educated, well-traveled, out-going people who have lived throughout the US and many parts of the world.

My scientific training taught me to make conclusions based upon facts, observations (both first-hand and second-hand), and statistics/probabilities. Based upon these, I concluded that, statistically, residental areas more than 90% white, in one of the most diverse cities in the US, would probably not be a good fit for me for various reasons. Any problems with that? Sure, there's a chance I am wrong, but why take it? To prove/disprove a point? When we are looking at sinking anywhere from $750,000-900,000 (and not looking at McMansions mind you)?

Now, I can't stop you from making inaccurate assumptions about me (of the kind you presume of me), but do so while contributing to the original query of this thread, if you please. Otherwise, start another thread on this topic and I'll be glad to join in on any intelligent, thoughtful discussions.

have a good day.

Don't bother taking the bite. Listen to yourself for a second. You are asking about buying a home for 750k in a city where the avg home price is about 150k and then saying you want it to be diverse? Are you effing kidding me? The very fact that you are looking to buy in the top 1% by definition puts you in a highly homogenous population pool. That is what is sad. It's sad that you are so educated and don't see that. Had you come on here and said I'm looking to spend 200k to 300k on a home and would like to live in a diverse area, with access to decent schools and a strong sense of community, that would be one thing. But no, you come on here and ask to live among the top 1% and then complain about lack of diversity. I'm glad one other poster caught this as bait because that is exactly what it is. I can't believe some of the locals here took it. I swear to God the absurdity I'm seeing on these city board forums every day is reaching new heights. Go ahead and use your higher education to attack me now for calling you out.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Not so much Asian wise. Most tend to concentrate in SL. But I have heard that Jersey Village has a decently high Asian demographics.
Doesn't need to have a lot of Asians (a nearby grocery store would be nice for all my cooking), but thanks for the suggestion. It looks promising locations wise for my husbands' commute...

Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
In 77080, there's an area called rollingwood with a mid century modern listing that is just north of long point rd and the Korean area that might be a nice compromise. Near alot of ethnicity but very large lot ranches. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. Am just starting our home search, so the more locations I can look into, the better. Still trying to figure Houston's real estate market out.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yes, hopefully Houston can be as inclusive as Hong Kong one day.....

Somehow I think this thread was a bait, call me silly but...

I'm sorry you feel that way (although it's always good to have some degree of skepticism, eh?). I can assure you, I wear my heart on my sleeves too much to be a good liar - whether online or in person. My face flushes a deep red and my heart pounds so loud you'd think there was a drummer nearby.

I've always been a pretty frank person, and have found my filter growing more porous as I age. I'm really not use to this type of "chatting" via the internet with total strangers, so I'm probably not projecting the most internet savvy persona.

Not sure what you found unbelievable, but I always try to back up any assertion with specifics, ironically in order to validate it.

Those senior executives? One (now retired) was of Japanese ancestory whose parents and grandparents were forced into an internment camp during WWII. The other? A Moroccan immigrant who started from ground zero, aided financially by his Thai immigrant wife when they were just starting out. She worked cleaning houses for people when they lived in Europe. That MD/PhD? He had some interesting experiences to share, for sure. He and his wife were both black immigrants from a small Carribbean island. He served as a medic during the Vietnam War in some of the bloodiest battle zones. The lawyer and engineers? Asian peers - all immigrants. Me? I was one of those Asian immigrant kids (or more accurately, a refugee) you see running around outside those apartments, living with a single mother whose marriage was torn apart by war. She spoke not a lick of English, but supported us by working at McDonalds during the day while going to night school. My apartment, however, was located in an area more closely resembling Sharpstown than Memorial. I put myself through undergrad through a combination of loans and working second shift in a tomato canning factory 7 days a week during the summer of my junior year. Luckily grad and post-grad school were fully paid for through grants and teaching duties.

So, I would say that through our collective lifes' journies, we had some interesting experiences - both good and bad - as we navigated through the social-economic fabric of the US and beyond. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that just because something does not happen to you, or those in your social circle, does not mean that it does not happen to others. I think we are all guilty of projecting our personal biases onto situations new to us, me included. It's just a matter of recognizing this, and tempering it with moderation instead of absolutes.

Thanks for your tips, BTW. Quite helpful.

Last edited by mingna; 01-20-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston