Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,384,620 times

Advertisements

wow old thread.
Anyway, from the looks of things, the next great suburb is the revival of the older ones close to town. ie. Just north of I-10 in the Sprinch Branch area is really coming to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

264 posts, read 1,089,291 times
At Houston's rate of development, I think my house in Wyoming will soon be in one of your suburbs.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:59 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,423,155 times
Judging from the State's demographic projection models that have the Anglo population in Harris County decreasing to a mere 550,000 by 2040 and increasing to over a million in places like Montgomery and Waller county, I'd say...Montgomery, Willis, Waller and beyond.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,782,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Sugar Land's traffic is horrendous. .... I think it will decline like Sharpstown. I have heard that First Colony Mall is the modern day version of Sharpstown Mall, nice now but in the future...
I think it's funny when people say that.

All of First Colony is in the Sugar Land city limits. Sugar Land has strict zoning. The city would never allow over-building of apartments like what happened in Sharpstown, which is in Houston (no zoning) and Harris County (lax land-use regulations compared to Fort Bend County).

Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I think it's funny when people say that.

All of First Colony is in the Sugar Land city limits. Sugar Land has strict zoning. The city would never allow over-building of apartments like what happened in Sharpstown, which is in Houston (no zoning) and Harris County (lax land-use regulations compared to Fort Bend County).
But with gas prices going up, it would be more prudent to live there especially with the renaissance that will start once the economy starts back up.

The red-light cameras and the constant traffic on Highway 6 from First Colony Blvd to Murphy Road are detracting from the quality of life. Try going from the mall to the Whole Foods (especially on weekends). You'll have to squeeze in to the overcrowded left turn lane and then go through a red light camera on the freeway before crossing it to Whole Foods. So much for zoning!

I wish I could shop in my own county but I'd rather go to The Galleria instead of dealing with horrendous traffic to get to a mall with not as much things as The Galleria.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:
But with gas prices going up, it would be more prudent to live there especially with the renaissance that will start once the economy starts back up.

The red-light cameras and the constant traffic on Highway 6 from First Colony Blvd to Murphy Road are detracting from the quality of life. Try going from the mall to the Whole Foods (especially on weekends). You'll have to squeeze in to the overcrowded left turn lane and then go through a red light camera on the freeway before crossing it to Whole Foods. So much for zoning!

I wish I could shop in my own county but I'd rather go to The Galleria instead of dealing with horrendous traffic to get to a mall with not as much things as The Galleria.
I'd personally rather deal with Sugarland congestion than Pearland. Now that out there is horrible, but luckily they are constructing the feeder roads.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times
Rosenberg and Richmond will never be suburbs in the truest sense, or exurbs for that matter. More satellite cities than anything - those that existed with their own identities and had jobs for people before suburban growth from a larger city was ever a factor.

This is true of Katy and Sugar Land too, although the old towns are much smaller or have less of it remaining with the rest of it being fairly recent subdivision development.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,782,472 times
Quote:
Not that I wouldn't love to see Sharpstown cleaned up and revitalized... because I would. But I don't think droves of people in Sugar Land are going to be leaving their manicured areas free of billboards and similar visual blight, pull their kids out of good schools just to move to an area with crime problems and poor performing schools because they can save 10-15 minutes on their commute into central Houston and some gas money. Not to mention a good number of the Sugar Land people don't even work in Houston... they work in Sugar Land.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM

84 posts, read 204,480 times
Katy isn't going to be a suburb of Houston for very long. It's going to be a sister city to Houston, much as Ft. Worth is to Dallas. It's already a city of 100,000 people, projected to grow to over a million (by 2020 I think).

Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,384,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
Katy isn't going to be a suburb of Houston for very long. It's going to be a sister city to Houston, much as Ft. Worth is to Dallas. It's already a city of 100,000 people, projected to grow to over a million (by 2020 I think).

Actually I think the area has far more than 100,000 if you include all the MPC's to the south and west of Katy. Somewhere, i'm pretty sure, I read 250,000 +/-.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston