Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times

Advertisements

PLOT TWIST: they were actually indian.

you should still feel safe. no one was harmed. not saying breaking into homes doesn't make one want to lose it, but no one was hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM

196 posts, read 419,859 times
Vandalism is not accurate either.
This is breaking & entering, home burglary which is much more serious.
Good move to make it public and increase awareness in the area.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
...The guy kept ringing the door bell to see if anyone was home and since no one answered they took the liberty of smashing the back window.
...I thought my area was safe..but unfortunately not so.

No area is safe.

Ringing the doorbell is a common ruse. Although I have an alarm system, I know they dont deter many burglars, who know they can get in and out before the cops show up. That's why I also have these at all entrances:

Amazon.com: STI ED-50 Rex Plus Electronic Watchdog, Barking Dog Alarm: Home Improvement

And I've also installed this kickproofing on my exterior doors:

http://www.doordevil.com/

Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM

148 posts, read 403,217 times
Tell your neighbor to get the alarm company to call your neighborhood constable instead of the police in the future. Constables will show up faster than the police.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
In my travels abroad, I've found window bars and high security doors to be almost ubiquitous. I suspect those installations would at least slow down some of the smash and grab type break-ins. It's interesting that most homeowners stateside don't opt for these installations. I understand the rationale, but given the reality of high crime rates, I'm surprised that so few have chosen to install them outside of the usual minority-dominated areas. I think there's a kind of denial involved - that if we simply wish real hard for Mayberry-like crime rates, we will end up living in Mayberry for real.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
I'm sure Dopo would have had the same comments had they been white
Same thing applies, but Hispanic is more vague.
Color helps, but is useless without height, weight, age, etc.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
In my travels abroad, I've found window bars and high security doors to be almost ubiquitous. I suspect those installations would at least slow down some of the smash and grab type break-ins. It's interesting that most homeowners stateside don't opt for these installations. I understand the rationale, but given the reality of high crime rates, I'm surprised that so few have chosen to install them outside of the usual minority-dominated areas. I think there's a kind of denial involved - that if we simply wish real hard for Mayberry-like crime rates, we will end up living in Mayberry for real.
You have any idea how much burglar bars bring down the home value and the stigma associated with them?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
You have any idea how much burglar bars bring down the home value and the stigma associated with them?
Stateside, perhaps. Abroad, they're ubiquitous. Heck, in New York City, they're ubiquitous - ground floor units all have burglar bars on the windows. And Houston has a burglary rate that's 5x NYC's. In fact, I suspect the difference is partly due to the ubiquity of hardened installations in NYC via things like burglar bars. The combination of homes that are soft targets for burglars combined with a high burglary rate is kind of head-scratching.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Stateside, perhaps. Abroad, they're ubiquitous. Heck, in New York City, they're ubiquitous - ground floor units all have burglar bars on the windows. And Houston has a burglary rate that's 5x NYC's. In fact, I suspect the difference is partly due to the ubiquity of hardened installations in NYC via things like burglar bars. The combination of homes that are soft targets for burglars combined with a high burglary rate is kind of head-scratching.
True enough. There was a home invasion here in La Porte that stemmed from the residents not closing the garage door nor locking their doors. Yikes. Common ense evades people sometimes in their suburban utopia.

As for NYC, it's the lack of po-po in the parks that gets you.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
True enough. There was a home invasion here in La Porte that stemmed from the residents not closing the garage door nor locking their doors. Yikes. Common ense evades people sometimes in their suburban utopia.

As for NYC, it's the lack of po-po in the parks that gets you.
It's not that bad. NYC has 80 cops per square mile compared to Houston's 8 cops per square mile. You're literally never more than a minute away from seeing a cop there.

As to the denizens of Mayberry on the Gulf not having any common sense, the amusing thing is that according to the FBI stats, NYC has a lower burglary rate per capita than most Houston suburbs, including La Porte:

Last edited by Yac; 11-25-2020 at 04:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston