Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,943,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
Breaking the law is breaking the law.
Oh for the love of...if you can't see a difference between speeding 5mph over and discharging a firearm in a crowd there's no hope for you. Let's get perspective and treat this as what it is, a serious event but not some universal moral dilemma regarding guns in society. Shooting violence is WAY down from hat it was in US history. The difference is in media sensationalism and the decision that laws need to be created from anecdotes rather than statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM

184 posts, read 313,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nice we agree,
that means that 99% of Americans are "criminals" and 99% of gun owners are "criminals", too
How do you reach the conclusion that 99% are criminals? Especially on the firearm front.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Oh for the love of...if you can't see a difference between speeding 5mph over and discharging a firearm in a crowd there's no hope for you. Let's get perspective and treat this as what it is, a serious event but not some universal moral dilemma regarding guns in society. Shooting violence is WAY down from hat it was in US history. The difference is in media sensationalism and the decision that laws need to be created from anecdotes rather than statistics.
You misundersand.
My point is that if you break the law, you break the law.
There are varying degrees of infractions, but the law is broken all the same.
I'm in no way advocating anything in regards gun control. I agree with you.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,943,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
You misundersand.
My point is that if you break the law, you break the law.
There are varying degrees of infractions, but the law is broken all the same.
I'm in no way advocating anything in regards gun control. I agree with you.
Oh, ok, my sarcasm meter gets false positives sometimes. The law however is not a magical line, its a guideline of varying seriousness (mainly because anything that annoys anyone becomes a law nowadays) and the whole comparison to speeding is a bit non-sequitar to me. Whether or not carrying a gun on campus should be allowed, discharging it and especially recklessly, is a moral given that strong consequences must follow. It's a self evident conclusion given the magnitude of risk imposed by this individuals action and the consequences therein.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,895,004 times
Quote:
Oh, ok, my sarcasm meter gets false positives sometimes. The law however is not a magical line, its a guideline of varying seriousness (mainly because anything that annoys anyone becomes a law nowadays) and the whole comparison to speeding is a bit non-sequitar to me. Whether or not carrying a gun on campus should be allowed, discharging it and especially recklessly, is a moral given that strong consequences must follow. It's a self evident conclusion given the magnitude of risk imposed by this individuals action and the consequences therein.
Good post. The law is definitely not a magical line considering the discretion that the police and prosecutors enjoy.

Also, reckless discharging of firearms needs to result in extremely harsh penalties. We need these penalties to punish irresponsible or criminal gun owners so in order to ensure that guns are not taken from those of us who are responsible.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Could not agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston