U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM

58 posts, read 84,004 times

Advertisements

There are still some houses on big acreage in Katy close to I-10. Fulshear would also be my next suggestion. I live out that way, so I know that it's available. Pearland really got womped in the last hurricane. I knew several people that had roof/rain water damage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,266,086 times
Another option with a longer commute destined to improve with 290 road improvements is in the Cypress area up North of Fairfield community. The pending Grand Parkway might make country living in this area more challenging to find.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM

7,050 posts, read 10,211,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Another option with a longer commute destined to improve with 290 road improvements is in the Cypress area up North of Fairfield community. The pending Grand Parkway might make country living in this area more challenging to find.
That area will be a traffic nightmare for the next 3 yrs not a good idea

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 PM

5,048 posts, read 8,042,032 times
I was going to suggest the older, non sub Katy too. Big caveat. If you're working right in the city of Houston...major time and major headaches commuting though.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM

90 posts, read 153,372 times
If you drive an 30 - 35 miles and an hour or so from the city. Fairfax, or even Vienna, you can reach in those 1 acre or more, non-HOA, semirural properties in western to northern Loudoun (north of Leesburg), western or far southern Prince William , or even the near parts of Fauquier.

But if you drive the same distance/time from the Galleria area, you will still be in the Houston burbs.

The point is that Houston is much more spread out than NOVA, so you most likely will need to go much further out to find that "western end" country property and lifestyle.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM

28 posts, read 57,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorJan View Post
Houston housing gets a reputation for being cheap due to the numerous suburbs with endless tract homes. This is where you can buy a 4,000sf home for $150K. But, this is not what you're looking for. It's going to be very tough to find what you're looking for for $300-400K.
Sadly, I'm starting to realize that. But there got to be a way.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM

4,311 posts, read 5,272,934 times
How far are you willing to commute? Look into Brookshire, just west of Katy. That's pretty country.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Take a look south of Houston around Alvin, Tx which is more rural than most Houston. Also take a look out west around Fulshear Tx, which you can access the Galleria area via west park tollway. It is a tollway so factor in those costs to your affordable equation. Also be aware that Fulshear areas now rural wont be for long as the Energy Corridor is pushing growth and large subdivisions out that direction more so than around Alvin. Good luck
Thanks! I saw a few options around Katy/Richmond/Fulshear which seems like a decent compromise and with some flexiblity in working hours, commute should be managable. Alvin appears a bit futher - is traffic better, worse or the same as Katy?

I also prefer Katy over Alvin for higher elevation - the whole hurricane thing is freaking me out. Or am I being silly about that?

I also have a question regarding your comment that Fulshear area won't stay rural for much longer. If I find a house in a semi-rural neigborhood on a 1+ acre surrounded by a few of the same, even if they later build developments all around it, it shouldn't change anything for me, should it? Or are you saying that developers try to buy out these semi-rural neighborhoods and build subdivisions instead?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thila View Post
Don't forget to look in old Katy. I love it here!
How are demographis in Katy/Richmond/Fulshear area? Schools, crime rates, ethnic breakdowns, access to shopping and other amenities?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Bellville would be a long commute, but many people do it.
How much further/longer is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston