Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM

28 posts, read 63,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
Yep, something is going to have to give, budget or commute time.

I tried to buy something with the exact same parameters, and didnt find something in time, so i just bought a normal subdivision house in East Pearland, close to 45. You can buy something like that here, but nothing fit my style, and most of the homes needed serious renovation. Do a search around 518 and dixie farm, go out to a two mile radius or so, and see what you think.

Use har.com
Thanks for the advice regarding 518/Dixie intersecton area. Looks like there are some options, just need to wait for something to go on sale. Although Katy area homes do look a bit more country-like...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Maybe south of Missouri city? Take ft bend toll road to south post oak and up?
Will look into that as well, thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Here are some nice homes in 77061 zip codes with over a 12000+ sqft lot some of these homes need a little updating these homes are way under your max price range

8042 GLENFOREST HOUSTON for Sale Here

7903 GLEN DELL CT HOUSTON for Sale Here

8011 ARLETTA ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

8115 GLEN DELL CT HOUSTON for Sale Here

Here is another idea you could buy a large lot and build your dream home

4504 YALE ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

615 West 30TH ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

0 Basil Houston for Sale Here

1728 TABOR STREET HOUSTON for Sale Here

7038 COTTON DR HOUSTON for Sale Here

4017 MCKINNEY ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

18742 UPPER BAY RD HOUSTON for Sale Here

0 BOONE RD HOUSTON for Sale Here

10215 BRIGHTON LN HOUSTON for Sale Here

3814 BURCH ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

2619 HUTCHINS ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

0 NITIDA HOUSTON for Sale Here 3 acres about 5 to 7 miles south of med center

5543 LYMBAR DR HOUSTON for Sale Here

3129 OAKDALE HOUSTON for Sale Here

3201 AUBURN ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

0 NORTHERN DR HOUSTON for Sale Here

8314 WATEKA DR HOUSTON for Sale Here

6001 MAPLE ST HOUSTON for Sale Here

0 MCAVOY DR HOUSTON for Sale Here
These lots are way too small for what I'lm seeking. I can find quite a few 12k sq ft lots, but I'm looking for at least an acre (46k sq ft), preferrably 100k sq ft lots.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,988,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medved View Post
These lots are way too small for what I'lm seeking. I can find quite a few 12k sq ft lots, but I'm looking for at least an acre (46k sq ft), preferrably 100k sq ft lots.
Smh, you want waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. You're going to have to compromise somewhere. Most likely the

The commute is going to have to give because you sound like you're not budging on the budget. Probably just add 30 minutes, 45 on a bad day to the hour if you're that gunho on living on a freaking acre for $300k

Check it http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearchClass5.cfm

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraMao View Post
There are still some houses on big acreage in Katy close to I-10. Fulshear would also be my next suggestion. I live out that way, so I know that it's available. Pearland really got womped in the last hurricane. I knew several people that had roof/rain water damage.
Thanks - I'm starting to zero in on the same area as well. Is Katy area more protected from hurricanes/flooding than Pearland/Alvin area?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I was going to suggest the older, non sub Katy too. Big caveat. If you're working right in the city of Houston...major time and major headaches commuting though.
How major? Can I get to Galleria in about an hour or is it more like 2 hours?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imback View Post
If you drive an 30 - 35 miles and an hour or so from the city. Fairfax, or even Vienna, you can reach in those 1 acre or more, non-HOA, semirural properties in western to northern Loudoun (north of Leesburg), western or far southern Prince William , or even the near parts of Fauquier.

But if you drive the same distance/time from the Galleria area, you will still be in the Houston burbs.

The point is that Houston is much more spread out than NOVA, so you most likely will need to go much further out to find that "western end" country property and lifestyle.
Thanks for this comparison - this helps to put things in prospective. I live on a 1.3 acres in PWC now and I was planning to get at least as much at least as close in Houston...looks like this may not work though.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
How far are you willing to commute? Look into Brookshire, just west of Katy. That's pretty country.
If I can get to Galleria in about an hour (a little more is ok, but not 1.5 hours), I'll be ok with that. Would prefer to do it on regular highways, but would consider tollway for considerable time savings.

According to Google maps traffic, it looks like I can get from Richmond/Fulshear to Galleria in 45 minutes on tollway and in 1 hour 10 minutes on I-10 during late end of the rush hour (say working 8:30 to 6:30). Does this sound belivable?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Smh, you want waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. You're going to have to compromise somewhere. Most likely the

The commute is going to have to give because you sound like you're not budging on the budget. Probably just add 30 minutes, 45 on a bad day to the hour if you're that gunho on living on a freaking acre for $300k

Check it Houston county home and Houston acreage - HAR.com
Budget can go up to $400k, does this widen my options?

As for wanting way too much...well, right no I live an hour away from DC on 1.3 acres in a semi-rural neigborhood and the place was $360k. DC area is notorious for ridiculosly expensive housing and townhouses spreading half the way to West Virginia, so I don't think tryng to find the same in Houston is asking too much...

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medved View Post
Budget can go up to $400k, does this widen my options?

As for wanting way too much...well, right no I live an hour away from DC on 1.3 acres in a semi-rural neigborhood and the place was $360k. DC area is notorious for ridiculosly expensive housing and townhouses spreading half the way to West Virginia, so I don't think tryng to find the same in Houston is asking too much...
Just found some good options in 77459, go to HAR and plug in 400k max and 30000 min lot size and see what you think. Should be no more than an hour commute to the galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston