Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,966 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family wants to move to Texas, hopefully this year. I need help on tips...we're thinking Sugar Land or Houston. Can someone please please orient me about Sugar Land. I heard they have a better school system compared to Houston area.

I am also an RN. I still have to look for a job. Does Sugar Land has hospitals in its area? Any tips on how to apply for a job while you are not "physically" in Texas yet?

Are RN jobs still marketable in Houston/Sugar Land? Does anybody know an average per hour rate for an experienced RN? Any recommendable hospitals in Sugar Land or Houston areas? I'm just worried that I won't be able to find a job.

Please help .

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Sugar Land is one of the more upscale suburbs (and actually a municipality itself) outside of Houston. The center of Sugar Land is about 20 miles from downtown Houston.

Are you trying to work in an environment like the Texas Medical Center, or in a suburban hospital? What kind of RN more specifically? Housing budget? You'll have to be more specific, Houston is very large.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times
There are a ton of great hospitals and medical centers in the Houston area.. Compared to other areas of the country the economy is booming and the cost of living is much better. Sugarland is a great area and I believe has a few hospitals right there in it but is also not too far from the medical center area.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM

45 posts, read 217,034 times
There are several large hospitals in Sugar Land. All of the websites below have links for "job seekers". Good luck!

Chest Pain Center Accreditation | Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Hospital | Sugar Land, TX
Methodist Sugar Land Hospital | Quality hospital in Sugar Land, Fort Bend County, Texas and a leader in heart and cardiovascular care, orthopedics and quality birthing center
St. Luke's Sugar Land Hospital

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 AM

208 posts, read 552,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by water dragon View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum. My family wants to move to Texas, hopefully this year. I need help on tips...we're thinking Sugar Land or Houston. Can someone please please orient me about Sugar Land. I heard they have a better school system compared to Houston area.

I am also an RN. I still have to look for a job. Does Sugar Land has hospitals in its area? Any tips on how to apply for a job while you are not "physically" in Texas yet?

Are RN jobs still marketable in Houston/Sugar Land? Does anybody know an average per hour rate for an experienced RN? Any recommendable hospitals in Sugar Land or Houston areas? I'm just worried that I won't be able to find a job.

Please help .

Thank you.
Make sure you have a job before you come to Texas. Things always look greener when you are on the other side of the fence. This place is struggling to like the rest of the country with unemployment. Overall, the entire state is behind on education, so when you heard Sugar Land schools are better consider what this means when the whole state is below par in terms of how they are doing compared to the nation. In terms of salary because it is Texas it will be lower compared to the east coast if you are moving from the east and property taxes are high as well as sales tax. Make sure you do your homework. Why? They are making up for no state income tax. People especially on this board like to sugar coat things.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,588 times
So Texas schools are declining compared to the Nation? I'm shocked. What about compared to Atlanta. Can't be any worse with the cheating scandal we just had...

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GShepard27 View Post
So Texas schools are declining compared to the Nation? I'm shocked. What about compared to Atlanta. Can't be any worse with the cheating scandal we just had...
The cheating problems are everywhere.

Cheating scandal rocks 'exemplary' high school - Your Houston News: News

Quote:
Cheating scandal rocks 'exemplary' high school

Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:43 pm | Updated: 2:44 pm, Wed Jan 4, 2012.

By JEFF NEWPHER | 2 comments

Clear Creek ISD officials are trying to determine how about 200 English IV students at Clear Lake High School were able to get test answers before taking their final exam in December.

Campus and district administrators have decided that the cheating was so widespread, that all of the English IV exam results will be thrown out.

Parents were told Tuesday (January 3) that students have two options: take the test again and have it factored into the final grade or have their semester grade calculated without a final exam result.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,966 times
are nurses still marketable in finding a job? i am an oncology nurse but i can also apply to other nursing positions. just wondering how is the job market. what are the recommendable hospitals from sugar land? maybe up to 30 minutes commute.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
Average salary for RNs in Houston is around $67K.
Entry level RNs (out of school) start at around $24 hr.

Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center and many hospital around the metro area. You will have no problem finding work.

Check Monster.com, careerbuilder.com for ideas on openings. Also go directly to the Hospital's websites.

Memorial Hermann, St Lukes, Texas Children, Methodist, MD Anderson, Ben Taub.

Welcome to Texas.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
Make sure you have a job before you come to Texas. Things always look greener when you are on the other side of the fence. This place is struggling to like the rest of the country with unemployment. Overall, the entire state is behind on education, so when you heard Sugar Land schools are better consider what this means when the whole state is below par in terms of how they are doing compared to the nation. In terms of salary because it is Texas it will be lower compared to the east coast if you are moving from the east and property taxes are high as well as sales tax. Make sure you do your homework. Why? They are making up for no state income tax. People especially on this board like to sugar coat things.
Things are much better than a lot of the country.
Stop scaring here. She will be fine. She is a RN. She will be fine.

Houston is a medical mecca for goodness sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston