Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

You are the third person I know of who goes to the hole in the wall strip center in Pasadena - Los Toritos. I've never tried them but only heard great things about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM

126 posts, read 240,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Alamo Tamales makes machine tamales AND handmade. Give them a try, at least I know how clean their kitchen is

Homemade/handmade tamales are pretty easy to find in Houston, you just need to venture out a little.
X2 on that.

Just try them and you will be impressed. It's cash only store so be prepared for that.

Try an El Salvadorian tamale from the crock pot by the cash register.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM

396 posts, read 1,723,566 times
A guy from Tamales Montes used to come by work every other Friday. He left and now his dad, who took over his route, won't come out this far. They were the best tamales I've ever had. The mexican guy in the warehouse will have his wife make tamales every few months, still way better than storebought, but not as good as Montes.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM

561 posts, read 972,292 times
I have a question about Tamales..

The lard that their made in, which I hear is quite a generous amount, is it usually derived from pig fat?

Im talking about the ones that are sold in most restaurants around town as well as the ones that are homemade by individuals...

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
I think most of the commercially made ones in the restaurants are probably made with shortening, since it is cheaper than Manteca. But yes, traditionally tamales are made with pork fat, which is generally more readily available and cheaper than beef. My favorite tamales restaurant told me the reason theirs was so good was because they used real Manteca (pork lard).

Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I have a question about Tamales..

The lard that their made in, which I hear is quite a generous amount, is it usually derived from pig fat?

Im talking about the ones that are sold in most restaurants around town as well as the ones that are homemade by individuals...
Yes. For that real tamale taste, you need fresh pork fat. Nothing else will taste as good. The easiest way to make tamales cheaply is to buy a pig's head, steam it, season the meat and use for filling and then use the lard that drips off for the masa.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
Alamo Tamales makes machine tamales AND handmade. Give them a try, at least I know how clean their kitchen is

Homemade/handmade tamales are pretty easy to find in Houston, you just need to venture out a little.
I just had some of Alamo's homemade tamales and they are so good. They put so much meat in them. Best tamales I have ever had. Better than Los Toritos.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I just had some of Alamo's homemade tamales and they are so good. They put so much meat in them. Best tamales I have ever had. Better than Los Toritos.
Which one did you go to? I've only been to the Clear Lake "To Go" location and wasn't all that impressed.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM

102 posts, read 185,491 times
I've had some really good handmade tamales from two different Michocana meat markets. Not sure if all of the Michocana locations make them, but they are very good, and reasonably priced.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Which one did you go to? I've only been to the Clear Lake "To Go" location and wasn't all that impressed.
The one in the east end. Their breakfast tacos were looking good too. I might try them later on this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: