Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
So summer in Houston is a lot like summer in South Florida: gloomy, partly to mostly cloudy, unbearably humid, and rainy?
From what I've gathered on this forum, it seems as though Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio would fit the bill.

Could someone please tell me which city they think would work best for me based on the type of summer weather I prefer? Right now, it's a toss-up between Dallas and Austin with San Antonio rounding out my short list. The Panhandle and western TX are out of the question.

Thank you.
Dallas, Austin, Houston and San Antonio are all hot during the summer. Dallas and Austin get hotter, but not quite as humid. So it's Houston with 96 degrees outside with around 70% humidity, or Austin/Dallis with 100 degree weather with a little lower humidity.

It's all hot.

It all depends as far as cloudy and rainy weather in Houston during the summer. You get thunderstorms, but it will clear up the next day. You never know, but I would say the majority of the summer is sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
I chuckled a bit when I saw the word "gloomy" used to describe Houston. I wonder if any of those folks have lived in Oregon or Washinton during the fall/winter/spring

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
Of all the words I can think of to describe Houston, 'gloomy' would have to come at the bottom of the list. At night maybe!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Now, Houston does have its "gloomy" periods where there's a chain of overcast and rainy days, and there will be times you might get sick of the dampness, but it's nothing on the level of the PacNW.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Everyone handles the heat (and cold) different. Some can tolerate the heat, I can't. But the only way you'll know is to visit in August. I want to move just to get away from summers here, which pretty much year round.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM

682 posts, read 834,367 times
Getting on a plane in and landing in the summer isn't the same as growing acclaimated to it during the spring and summer. It is shocking when you do that. I always make sure I start walking mroe when the temps get warmer so by summer time...it really isn't a bother. We have S.A.D. and have not had that issue since living in Houston. Also, we have less allergies. Try living in Portland where the pollen is so thick it can be seen in the rain flowing down the streets. Chicago....hello all that grass. We have not had a cold or any bronchitis issues for the two winters we have lived here. The longer we stay here the more we start to feel we may not be able to head up north again...specifically because of the weather.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Getting on a plane in and landing in the summer isn't the same as growing acclaimated to it during the spring and summer. It is shocking when you do that. I always make sure I start walking mroe when the temps get warmer so by summer time...it really isn't a bother. We have S.A.D. and have not had that issue since living in Houston. Also, we have less allergies. Try living in Portland where the pollen is so thick it can be seen in the rain flowing down the streets. Chicago....hello all that grass. We have not had a cold or any bronchitis issues for the two winters we have lived here. The longer we stay here the more we start to feel we may not be able to head up north again...specifically because of the weather.
Don't know about Portland, but I have allergies all year round in Houston. In Chicago, it is only for 3 months. I agree about the SAD though. It's generally not bad here at all. As for walking, I cannot do it here because of the humidity. I think it has to be taken on an individual basis really.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
And you never get robbed having been to the outside before sunrise, and after sunset?

Nah, they'd have to get past all the throngs of elderly people out getting in their early morning walks first. But seriously, it seems my strategy to plan my outdoor activities around the coolest parts of the day is not an uncommon one.

Also, I definitely factor in the safety of my surroundings and use common sense when doing pre-dawn runs.

Last edited by mingna; 01-28-2013 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Getting on a plane in and landing in the summer isn't the same as growing acclaimated to it during the spring and summer.
The worse mistake people make is spend all summer long in A/C
what do you think is gonna happen when they have to walk outside? They are crying like babies because "it's too hot"

Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
So from what I've gathered on this thread, Houston's summer weather is not that much different from South Florida's summer weather, but Houston's winter weather seems to be warmer than that of Dallas and Austin.

Is Dallas noticeably colder and icier in the winter than Houston? How about Austin?
I grew up in Houston, and have lived in Austin for the past 2 years. I'm being completely honest when I say I've noticed very little difference in the weather between the two. The summers are still extremely hot in Austin, and the winters mild. In both places we stay indoors in the A/C during the summer months, and during the winter we have a handful of days below freezing. The only real difference I have noticed is that my allergies were much worse for the first 6 months or so after moving to Austin.

They're both great cities. I'm actually moving back to Houston in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston