Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM

24 posts, read 56,157 times

Advertisements

Actually I have yet to hang on a Texas Beach...go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Default @ Texas7

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Missed the part about working from home. In that case, its all personal preference as both are nice areas and both have good schools. Depends on what you enjoy in your free time. I prefer the Clear Lake area to that of the Woodlands but again, no reason in particular other than personal preference. I have family in the Woodlands area and they prefer it to the Clear Lake area.
If you are still around, I understand that you prefer the Clearlake area, but you did not mention why
Do share, I would love to hear what you like about the area and what you feel that it offers.
Hope you are still out there...

Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM

Default Woodlands VS Clearlake

@ bloodwings19

Disadvantage:
Unfriendly people (appearance)

Are you seeming they appear not to be friendly? I noticed, under advantages you said they are good neighbors; does that mean they actually area? Have I got this right , do explain if not...

Last edited by SolarBaby; 01-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: forgot to hit quote

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
Both offer unique living environments, so it really depends on your needs. I would choose Clear Lake because of the quick and beautiful access to the beaches, Kemah, Galveston and south bound venues. Lot's of exciting things happening on the weekends throughout the year, such as Dickens on the Strand, boat shows, great seafood eateries with live events/entertainment. Also, I find that it's a very laid back and easy going atmosphere. Things move a little slower...well, at my pace at least. Has all of the modern amenities of most cities. Doesn't have the super upscale establishments found in the nicer parts of the Woodlands. Is much more humid and does not have the the large clusters of natural beautiful trees and forest landscaping that the Woodlands has. Of course, the Woodlands is pretty close to large lake in Conroe, so that's an option as well.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Default @ deckhanddavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Both offer unique living environments, so it really depends on your needs. I would choose Clear Lake because of the quick and beautiful access to the beaches, Kemah, Galveston and south bound venues. Lot's of exciting things happening on the weekends throughout the year, such as Dickens on the Strand, boat shows, great seafood eateries with live events/entertainment. Also, I find that it's a very laid back and easy going atmosphere. Things move a little slower...well, at my pace at least. Has all of the modern amenities of most cities. Doesn't have the super upscale establishments found in the nicer parts of the Woodlands. Is much more humid and does not have the the large clusters of natural beautiful trees and forest landscaping that the Woodlands has. Of course, the Woodlands is pretty close to large lake in Conroe, so that's an option as well.
Forgot about Conroe lake...that is water. Your description really has gave me a lot to think about. That is what we like about Clear Lake. The lacked back vibe, very diverse. We have casually met many wonderful individuals there. The funny thing is, it is the kind of place that people seem to remember your name. Good times there, good times.

Thanks a bunch. Sounds like your are certainly in the right place, moving at the right pace

Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I like the Clear Lake area because it just feels less pretentious than a lot of Houston and other master planned areas feel - lots of people with money but not shoving it in your face trying to be a "wanna-be" so it feels more laid back and casual. Lots of different income levels in the area. I have a friend who lives off of 290/Beltway 8 and she loves to come over when I ask why she says "I feel like I am on vacation, when I come over." All we do is shop or do lunch so I am guessing she is feeling that laid back vibe that I feel as well. Great schools (my kids are grown but still have lots of friends with school age kids). I enjoy being outdoors and the area seems conducive to that lifestyle. I like that it is a mix of older (last new homes built in Clear Lake proper were in 1990 or so, and new (League city). It doesn't all look the same so it offers some uniqueness. Some people prefer the master planned everything looks the same so that it all flows - just not me. That's why I prefer the area but again it is sort a personal preference and nothing specific. Flooding and hurricanes - I've only evacuated one time in my lifetime due to threat of a storm (boarded up more than once though) so not too worried about playing the odds on this one. Insurance will cost you more in this area due to your Wind coverage and flood coverage. My siblings live in the Woodlands and love it. I like it there but I just don't feel the comfort I feel over here - I am more in my element here.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM

73 posts, read 141,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What about The Woodlands doesn't feel master planned?
I am comparing it to the massive amount of communities which are brand new, have a couple of freshly planted 8 foot trees in the front yard where the homes surround a man-made lake with a water sprayer in the center of it. The Woodlands is unique in that there is still a feeling of living in a natural environment, mainly big, tall trees, but with all the necessary modern amenities nearby.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM

texas7

You really do remind me of what we loved about Clear Lake. I have to have one husband read this one. I was really leaning towards Florida (being so unsure about Texas again). I might give ClearLake a closer look again. We plan to visit one City in February and the other in March. After which time we will have to settle on a location.

Again, this really does seem to be the vibe we felt in ClearLake. We are very laid back and down to earth. This seems to surprise many who know us. They all say, they are surprised at how approachable we are. I feel if someone is sincere, and comes to you for help...give them a hand. There is more than enough of everything (few exceptions) on this big earth of ours for everyone. Looking forward to our trip and finally figuring out where in the heck we will end up. Time certainly is flying by.

Thank you for all that you have shared.

Are there any little towns nearby that you like to visit for a day away from home or an extended weekend.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
I am comparing it to the massive amount of communities which are brand new, have a couple of freshly planted 8 foot trees in the front yard where the homes surround a man-made lake with a water sprayer in the center of it. The Woodlands is unique in that there is still a feeling of living in a natural environment, mainly big, tall trees, but with all the necessary modern amenities nearby.
That is good to know, that The Woodlands has more of a naturally occurring organic feel. Lost in the woods, with the City nearby.

Who know's it might be what Jersey used to be to New York Now Jersey, is where people want to be. You can see the city better from outside the city anyhow. Guessing there are no views of the city from the woodlands, but they certainly have created something special.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM

391 posts, read 424,546 times
I'm afraid you might be sorely disappointed in the Texas beaches They honestly shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as those in Florida. If picturesque sand and clean water views are important to your decision then at least have a clear idea of what Galveston/Crystal Beach are really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston