U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2007, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 10,836 times
Default Possible Move Houston, Tx

My husband and I currently live in NJ. My husband is just out of school, and we have 3 kids, so living here on our budget is not going to last long. We have looked all over, and Texas seems to be the least expensive. We were looking at Tomball. Any suggestions? How bad is the weather there? The school systems, taxes? How friendly are the people. We need family friendly town. I love smaller towns. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 04:35 PM

3,701 posts, read 10,577,602 times
Tomball is nice but you might want to get a job prospect before making a decision on where to live. Houston is very big area-wise and you do not want to have a 11/2 hour commute.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:26 PM

796 posts, read 2,387,032 times
I agree with polktracker, find out where the job is first LOL! Houston is a very large city! I live just outside of Tomball and it is very nice. There are alot of nice areas, I know this area very well but others on the board can tell you of other areas if your job takes you to the other side of town. Schools are very good in Klein, Tomball, and Cyfair.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,836 times
My husband has applied in Houston, and I know that it is big. I think the ones he applied to are more central. He has heard back from a few, but we want to know areas we might live before we make a final decision.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

44 posts, read 107,098 times
Public transportation in Houston is pretty bad. In most other large cities they have a good rail system that gets you where you need to go fast. We have one light rail line that was built to land a superbowl and oylmpics. The line does not run in a way that connects the suburbs to the city. More lines will be added in the coming decades but do not expect it to be like Chicago or NYC. The bus service in town is there but requires transfers for most rides.

People are in love with their cars and trucks in this town. With $3 gas it is not wise to live where you will spend 2-4 hours in your car each day.

As others have said, wait to get the job and then buy where you will be close to it.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,555 times
I just read that the Houston area constitutes more 8,750 square miles. So I agree that you need to get a job before finding a place to live due to the area being so large.

Check out the Woodlands, Friendswood, and Kingwood, they are family friendly and have good schools.

Now about the weather, we never know for sure what it's going to be, but it does get hot and the humitidy can get very high.

Welcome to Texas

Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 AM

22 posts, read 48,233 times
I agree with the last posting check out the Woodlands Kingwood they are on the North side and on the south side is the Friendswood area as well. The north side is probably safer from the flooding.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,260,114 times
If I'm reading your screen name correctly, you are Mormon (and pretty apparently).

If it interests you, the Klein/Champions area has a very large Mormon population and actually has a full Mormon Temple at Cypresswood/Champion Forest Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston