Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 AM

61,109 posts, read 85,909,223 times

Advertisements

^^^ This is going completely off topic.
Not sure of OP intention but we are not discussing OP anymore...
Please go back on topic, whatever it is, and decide what you want to discuss - related to HOUSTON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
What are the options for real internet news in Houston?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,527,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What are the options for real internet news in Houston?
Unless you're considering taking up journalism as an unpaid hobby, there aren't any. Web advertising doesn't pay the bills, which is why print news organizations have been slashing their budgets to the bone. Until they find a way to reverse the revenue losses of the internet era, probably via paid subscription requirements, newsrooms will continue to bleed staff. I think that process is well under way, as the industry consolidates on its way to achieving both economies of scale and market power.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM

292 posts, read 1,062,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Not true, that's just the BS they push to cover their mediocrity
Who's gonna believe that newspapers don't make money on the internet when webpages such as Facebook make millions every year in advertisement.

It also ignores the fact that the cost of running a newspaper is MUCH cheaper today.
Today I can text-message my mom in South America for $0.10 and tell her to connect to the internet so she can watch my kids' birthday live using skype..... again, all of that for less than $1.
Or I could just send her the video and pictures in a seconds in an email.
There was nothing like that 20 years ago.

Add to that, the money they save now that they don't have to print and distribute their papers
It is true.....The print newspaper will soon be something of the past due to the internet and everything online. My son is a photojournalist and was a photo editor at a paper in Illinois. While he was there they cut jobs like crazy because the cost to keep things running and such were more than what they were selling in actual newspapers and advertizing and the internet is only a small piece of what they do.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,982,237 times
Default Bingo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That we need a real newspaper in this town?
And this paper is not the only problem.

The Houston news shows in the morning and evening....You would still think the world is flat.

For an area that is supposed to be so active in the international community and economy, you would think there would be some news about world events.

In the Chronicle, you might get some news story in the first few pages...but basically a single page dedicated to world events.

On the television local news channels - ABC, CBS and NBC...I really cannot think of hearing much international news at all - unless you think a pregnant princess. is going to change the course of the world's politics.

But boy!!!! I can tell you about the weather!!!...Though of course, even without about 1/3 of the news time being spent on the weather, I can pretty much guess by sticking my head out the door in the morning.

I belive it's one of the Fox channels that tries a hipper type of news show...But, I'm on my way to work in the morning,,,I want to know what's happening in the world.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
And this paper is not the only problem.

The Houston news shows in the morning and evening....You would still think the world is flat.

For an area that is supposed to be so active in the international community and economy, you would think there would be some news about world events.
All they do is read the police report, tell us the weather and show a few football highlights (other sports are screwed)

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Tuesday 7:15pm
Jeff Bagwell's house is the main story in The Chronicle

Is this Jeff Bagwell's home? - Houston Chronicle

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM

Thursday 11:00pm
Main story in the Chronicle

Bad Beyonce pics spark a meme - Houston Chronicle

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston