Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM

112 posts, read 199,913 times

Advertisements

I guess the mosquitos must depend on the area. I don't doubt they are around, but I only got a couple of bites during the height of the last mosquito 'season.' Also, I love the summer nights-having it warm late in the evening-even hot enough for the kids to swim-is so cool!

I have really experienced more of a sense of community and friendliness here than where I was in California, of course, I am probably trying harder here since I don't have a built in friend group, so it could be a chicken and egg thing.

As far as the references to offense in your first post, it may have been unintentional on your part, but I read it as potentially off putting since you indicated your really didn't want to move here and seemed to have some fear about things that are stereotypically Texas-one of the reasons I indicated that putting your assumptions about Texas and Texans on hold is necessary for a successful transition. Many Houston natives are (rightly so, IMO) quite proud of their city and State, so may react to that negativity.

I can really relate to your reasons for leaving California, and want to emphasize again that Houston can absolutely be a better place for you, if you do your part to embrace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 PM

73 posts, read 141,250 times
If you can get past the heat/humidity and not having the scenic beauty of California, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. Plus, Trader Joe's is moving in to the Houston market. That's a plus. Goodluck with the move!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
Nana-- Love love love that! Exactly what I am looking for, there is nothing more satisfying as a parent then going outside and watching your kiddos making new friends or playing slip 'n slide or ice cream trucks... etc. It's not like that at all in the areas of CA I've lived in, mostly because we are in apartments, not traditional "neighborhoods" with street corners or parks.

Oooooh the bugs... I'm really scared for that. I'll just douse myself in OFF for 3 months straight. 80 degrees is nothing here in CA but it's a dry HOT dessert type heat which I hear is more bearable then humidity. But it doesn't sound *that* bad and yes, I hope this summer is mild because I might be in Houston by then.
If by saying you will put OFF on implies we only have mosquitoes for 3 months, that is a little off (no pun intended). Expect more like 8 months.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
I think it's quite a friendly place here! We're in a cul-de-sac and we and all our neighbors are out there with our kids watching them play. At halloween we all sat out on the street and handed out candy whilst we chatted. I would actually say a lot of neighborhoods in Houston are like this.
In our neighborhood, the kids go trick or treating together and many of the houses are lit up. Some people sit outside and give out candy, others stay in, but have teens who like to dress up to scare the littler kids.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Nana-- Love love love that! Exactly what I am looking for, there is nothing more satisfying as a parent then going outside and watching your kiddos making new friends or playing slip 'n slide or ice cream trucks... etc. It's not like that at all in the areas of CA I've lived in, mostly because we are in apartments, not traditional "neighborhoods" with street corners or parks.

Oooooh the bugs... I'm really scared for that. I'll just douse myself in OFF for 3 months straight. 80 degrees is nothing here in CA but it's a dry HOT dessert type heat which I hear is more bearable then humidity. But it doesn't sound *that* bad and yes, I hope this summer is mild because I might be in Houston by then.
You'll find plenty of people you have a lot in common with, but don't fool yourself about the weather. Summer will not be mild. It rarely drops below 90 for three months, and that is humid heat. It's seriously hot. But you get used to it.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM

55 posts, read 174,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
If you can get past the heat/humidity and not having the scenic beauty of California, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. Plus, Trader Joe's is moving in to the Houston market. That's a plus. Goodluck with the move!
I heard about Trader Joes! I just so happen to live near the very first ever Trader Joes and admit I might be a bit crazy about that store-- so I plan to live near to one. There is no scenic beauty in Texas? I've seen some photos of HUGE old trees and conservation areas that were stunning. I believe it was Houston. I know maybe that doesn't exist in the city but more on the outskirts?

California is beautiful. However-- there is a nasty smog layer most of the time and going to a beach that isn't polluted is hard to find. You can't see the mountains which are very close on bad days and there are a lot of them. There are only a handful of beaches in South Orange County that aren't dirty. I took my daughter who was 2 at the time to Long Beach and the water was gross, she even got a red rash from it. So all the sterotypes about California being paradise are a little exaggerated. I didn't think stating obvious facts like "I can't stand the humid weather" would be so off putting when clearly, that is the case. And yes, I would have to get used to it-- even though if/when we relocate, I'll be very pregnant and that's mid-summer!

Thank you all for the insider tips and advice on what it's really like so I can prepare, it's much appreciated and nice to see so much pride in where you live!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
As an LA native who moved to Florida and then Texas, I think one of the things you're going to miss about California are coolish, bug-free, rain-free summer evenings. For me, the hot days are bad but the hot nights are worse. If you're an active, outdoor person, Texas summers can test your resolve.

Having said that, I think Houston may be the most underrated big city in the country right now. I always have a good time when I go there. You've also got Austin, San Antonio, and New Orleans within driving distance when you get tired of Houston.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:00 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,615,292 times
Quote:
I heard about Trader Joes! I just so happen to live near the very first ever Trader Joes and admit I might be a bit crazy about that store-- so I plan to live near to one. There is no scenic beauty in Texas? I've seen some photos of HUGE old trees and conservation areas that were stunning. I believe it was Houston. I know maybe that doesn't exist in the city but more on the outskirts?

California is beautiful. However-- there is a nasty smog layer most of the time and going to a beach that isn't polluted is hard to find. You can't see the mountains which are very close on bad days and there are a lot of them. There are only a handful of beaches in South Orange County that aren't dirty. I took my daughter who was 2 at the time to Long Beach and the water was gross, she even got a red rash from it. So all the sterotypes about California being paradise are a little exaggerated. I didn't think stating obvious facts like "I can't stand the humid weather" would be so off putting when clearly, that is the case. And yes, I would have to get used to it-- even though if/when we relocate, I'll be very pregnant and that's mid-summer!

Thank you all for the insider tips and advice on what it's really like so I can prepare, it's much appreciated and nice to see so much pride in where you live!
There's scenic beauty in Texas. Maybe not on the level of California but even then that all depends on one's perception. Even though I think California has more scenic beauty I've seen beautiful areas all over Texas including in the Houston metropolitan area.

The way I look at Houston's scenery is you might be fooled by a lack of beauty due to the fact the freeways/highways cut through alot of the unflattering looking areas of the city. But if you venture into the city outside of the freeways you'll run into beautiful(YES I BEAUTIFUL) areas of the city. Houston is a very flat city but flat doesn't equate uglyness or boring imo. I think the most scenic areas of Houston are within the loop(610). One of my favorite areas in the city is near Rice Village/Rice Univ. area.

Trust me some people tend to exaggerate on Houston's lack of beauty. If they actually got out the car and explored parts of the city on foot or a bike they would appreciate more of the city. When you're driving in Houston during the day you tend to miss that because you're too focused on the road.

Also Galveston is close by and alot of people complain about the beach because of the color of the water but I love visiting Galveston. Might not have the cleanest looking water but it feels to good to be on the beach and enjoy the breeze and also go into the city and see all the historical sights. It's almost like a smaller New Orleans w/ a beach. I'd say the last time I went to Galveston in the summer time me and my friends did get ate up by mosquito's. Which has only happen to me once since I've been going to Galveston but judging from you're attitude I think you will fit right in in Houston.

Very diverse and so many transplants you won't feel alienated.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
There's scenic beauty in Texas. Maybe not on the level of California but even then that all depends on one's perception. Even though I think California has more scenic beauty I've seen beautiful areas all over Texas including in the Houston metropolitan area.

The way I look at Houston's scenery is you might be fooled by a lack of beauty due to the fact the freeways/highways cut through alot of the unflattering looking areas of the city. But if you venture into the city outside of the freeways you'll run into beautiful(YES I BEAUTIFUL) areas of the city. Houston is a very flat city but flat doesn't equate uglyness or boring imo. I think the most scenic areas of Houston are within the loop(610). One of my favorite areas in the city is near Rice Village/Rice Univ. area.

Trust me some people tend to exaggerate on Houston's lack of beauty. If they actually got out the car and explored parts of the city on foot or a bike they would appreciate more of the city. When you're driving in Houston during the day you tend to miss that because you're too focused on the road.

Also Galveston is close by and alot of people complain about the beach because of the color of the water but I love visiting Galveston. Might not have the cleanest looking water but it feels to good to be on the beach and enjoy the breeze and also go into the city and see all the historical sights. It's almost like a smaller New Orleans w/ a beach. I'd say the last time I went to Galveston in the summer time me and my friends did get ate up by mosquito's. Which has only happen to me once since I've been going to Galveston but judging from you're attitude I think you will fit right in in Houston.

Very diverse and so many transplants you won't feel alienated.

Those scenic areas are too expensive for middle class people BTW. West University = million dollar houses. Houston is basically a big statistical trick.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 AM

998 posts, read 1,324,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy97 View Post
First of all I am getting so dam tired of people from other places moving to the STATE OF TEXAS!!!! I am from Texas and we don't like out of state people like yall !!!!!!!!! not to be rude but it is true
Maybe you should just move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston