Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:28 PM

55 posts, read 173,735 times

Advertisements

My family may have to move to Houston, TX from Los Angeles. I will admit no desire to live in Texas (mostly because I can't stand humid weather) and am nervous about what it's *like* in Houston for a hippy-ish geek-ish family like ours. What are the schools like? How diverse is the community? Are there farmers markets with fresh veg and other local products? Are there are any "crunchy" families or communities to join?

I am a babywearing, breastfeeding, natural parenting mama with a 3yo and another on the way. My husband is the nerdy type and we both are very tech-savvy. We are not at all religious. How would we get on? I know this is vauge, so please excuse that.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,245,498 times
You can find all that in Houston. I am sure it will be on a smaller scale since Houston population is only a fraction of the size of LA. There are farmers markets and everything else you mention. I certainly would not worry about religion. Supposedly 'Houston Aetheists' is the worlds largest atheist community. I am not implying that you are atheist, just pointing out that community appears to thrive here in a city with a gay mayor. It's probably more liberal then you think.

Houston Surpasses New York And Los Angeles As The 'Most Diverse In Nation'

Houston Tops Our List Of America's Coolest Cities - Forbes

Austin is a hippy mecca, however.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM

418 posts, read 740,317 times
Sounds like Austin would be a better fit for you. Or just stay where you are.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,092,762 times
agreed with the daniel wayne poster. although i grew up in south texas, i lived in los angeles recently before moving to houston. i wouldnt choose to live in any other texas city. one of the reason being because of the diversity of the city, and of course a great economy. los angeles is a world class city of course, but houston is a thriving city as well with much to do if you attempt to get out and find it- because its there.

the only thing i really miss since im an outdoor person are the mountains to bike and run and the beaches. but, there are some great beaches maybe 3 hours away or so? a little south of corpus christi called malaquite. i find a lot of people who miss cali beaches didnt even get in the water, i did and took advantage of it but still enjoy everything houston has to offer.

oh, people mention austin and that city is cool and all, but its way too hippie. its not that diverse, its just full of hipsters and country folk imo houston has a better mix of types of people/races living here. it all depends what youre looking for. LA is a huge city and so is houston so youll get big city options. austin sorta to me feels like san diego but more hipster. i prefer LA over san diego.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,609,535 times
Well I can tell you the Texas governor is anything but crunchy granola type. This is a very conservative state but I think the Rice Village in Houston might be alright for your family.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM

194 posts, read 523,685 times
Try the Montrose area. It sounds like it fits your description.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM

104 posts, read 176,605 times
Houston Heights area is your only option, if this area is too "Texas" for you will never make it here. Stay in Cali. you will hate it here and most likely annoy the rest of us.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM

770 posts, read 1,793,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
My family may have to move to Houston, TX from Los Angeles. I will admit no desire to live in Texas (mostly because I can't stand humid weather) and am nervous about what it's *like* in Houston for a hippy-ish geek-ish family like ours. What are the schools like? How diverse is the community? Are there farmers markets with fresh veg and other local products? Are there are any "crunchy" families or communities to join?

I am a babywearing, breastfeeding, natural parenting mama with a 3yo and another on the way. My husband is the nerdy type and we both are very tech-savvy. We are not at all religious. How would we get on? I know this is vauge, so please excuse that.

Thanks in advance!
Seriously, out of all of the major cities in Texas, I would have to say that Houston is the most diverse and the closest thing to LA that Texas can offer. Houston is so diverse it reminds me of cities that I have been to overseas, such as Singapore, and Dubai.

As for the humidity, it is high, but not every single day. It is at its worst in the summer months; however, if you can sweat it out from June through September, you will be fine. Also, the winters are very mild. It can be 80 degrees at times even in the middle of January.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 PM

770 posts, read 1,793,147 times
I should add that most of the major cities in TX are diverse and if you are a die-hard liberal, would fit in well in any of them. The current GOP governor (i.e. toll road happy Gov. Perry and his administration) won't be in office much longer, so don't let that deter you from moving to an exciting, diverse place like Houston.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,035,008 times
Austin isn't any more "crunchy" than Houston, truly it isn't.

houston does have growing organizations of farmers market spread throughout the city - but congregates in the city itself. I am aware some of the suburbs are changing this, but i don't think it is yet comparable.

we have a cool wholesale produce market akin to places you can go to in LA.

i recommend getting hooked up with some of the CSA drop offs in the area (some do have drop offs in the burbs). we have an epic grow season so your boxes are quite fruitful. but the # of organizations isn't on par to what you can find in LA

you won't have any problem not being religious, but people that are religious tend to be more open about it in the south, or assume you are a christian. for whatever reason the topic came up at work and when i said i was a non-believer i was told i wasn't. i left it at that. you can expect that kind of stuff, but nothing really more. as a "geek" or "tech" savvy welcome aboard. introduce yourself on the houston reddit page. everyonce in awhile there is a post about a meet up. i dont know what you mean by geek but we have some cool game stores here if you and your husband play. your family certainly wouldn't stick out in a large number of neighborhoods inside and outside of the city

houston is one of the most diverse places in the US so we got that down pretty good. some parts of town are more diverse/non-segregated than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston