Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times

Advertisements

So is one of these better than the other or are they all pretty much the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM

766 posts, read 1,244,966 times
From my experience gehan homes are pretty decent. Some fixtures are extremely cheap and break off easily but they have been very responsive if we had any issues.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,743,650 times
Highland homes is who I would choose.

We are currently looking at Brighton homes since they build where we are wanting to live.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,562,571 times
in order

Highland
Lennar
Gehan

if those are your choice, highland is your best bet. they build some nice homes and pretty good quality. at times they can be pricey. Lennar is hit and miss, overall pretty good reputation, but i've read some bad builds. Gehan isn't bad, but they do tend to builder a lower quality products in certain parts of their product.

they are building some in my neighborhood and i noticed they dont do OSB around the house, a small detail that goes a long way.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM

536 posts, read 1,056,285 times
We live in a Highland home and couldn't be happier. Honestly we have no major complaints whatsoever (bought new in Nov 2011). The couple of small things that came up the fixed straight away without fuss (media room pre-wiring; one of the wires had been damaged in construction, shower backed up due to a blockage; got a plumber out the same day).

We're really really happy here. Happy house hunting!

Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,172,686 times
If all else is equal (price, location, etc), Highlands is a step above those other two. Usually they run a little more than Lennar & Gehan, but if they are close, Highlands usually builds a better home (IMHO).

Or what a_g said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
in order

Highland
Lennar
Gehan

if those are your choice, highland is your best bet. they build some nice homes and pretty good quality. at times they can be pricey. Lennar is hit and miss, overall pretty good reputation, but i've read some bad builds. Gehan isn't bad, but they do tend to builder a lower quality products in certain parts of their product.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,562,571 times
dang, my grammar was all jacked up.

throw us some #'s and incentives..... this also helps in the decision.

lot size, bonus features, standard features ?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,056,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
dang, my grammar was all jacked up.

throw us some #'s and incentives..... this also helps in the decision.

lot size, bonus features, standard features ?
We managed to get a really good deal from Highland (we bought a spec house). It's worth approaching all 3 builders and seeing what they can give you. Depending on their situation in a development (how far in/how many houses they've sold etc etc) they may all offer different incentives and options.

Also, you'll probably get a better deal on a spec/inventory house and if it's close to what you're looking for they will make some changes for you - this is what we did although we really didn't change much. However, I completely get building it yourself and specifying everything. We just got lucky that they had built almost exactly what we wanted.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,873,797 times
Me - I'm not looking for a lot of options and extras. Just want a nice house.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM

28 posts, read 87,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
We live in a Highland home and couldn't be happier. Honestly we have no major complaints whatsoever (bought new in Nov 2011). The couple of small things that came up the fixed straight away without fuss (media room pre-wiring; one of the wires had been damaged in construction, shower backed up due to a blockage; got a plumber out the same day).

We're really really happy here. Happy house hunting!

...Same here! We bought in December 2011 and we are more than happy with the purchase, excellent quality and the warranty was superb - only some minor, cosmetic things, which were handled in a great way. Highly recommend Highlnd Homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: