Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM

195 posts, read 284,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
This may happen in the suburbs but the inner city is pretty integrated. I went through HISD and people of all colors hung out with each other. There's just some people who prefer to self segregate but its honestly a small percentage.
This is actually the opposite of what the video was saying. I don't know what high school you went to but some are very segregated.

Yates HS (3rd ward) = 92% Black
Austin HS (Eastwood) = 95% Hispanic
Davis HS (Northside Village) = 89% Hispanic
Milby HS (Harrisburg) = 95% Hispanic
Reagan HS (Heights) = 87% Hispanic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,261 times
Is Houston diverse? Definitely. One of the most diverse (racially, ethnically, socio-economically) places I've lived in or visited- in the US or abroad. Is it the segregated? Yes and no - depends on where you live and your lifestyle/social circle. The video is true in some respects, in that you will find more integrated diversity in some suburbs over others, and some Houston neighborhoods over other neighborhoods. But what I find wonderful about Houston is the tremendous diversity in people of various ethnicities and walks of life I've had the pleasure to meet and befriend just through my normal life's activities - meeting other parents through my children's school or sporting activites, grocery shopping, dining, gym, etc.

In other words, I've found it effortless to meet, interact, and form friendships with people who just happen to be different racially, ethnically, and socio-economically.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Why do people keep on pushing that idea that Houston is segregated?
Have these ever been to other cities in the US?

Houston is about as integrated as you are going to find in the US.
I bet even San Antonio is more segregated than Houston (West-South = Hispanic, North = White, East = Black)

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Also what they touched on in the video is pretty accurate. The burbs of Houston is actually where a big bulk of the diversity lies in Houston. It's pretty common to find any ethnic group in alot of the burbs. I live in Northwest Houston and even though the area I reside in is predominately black and hispanic. A couple of blocks over you see a good amount of every color on the same block. The Inner loop on a residential level is more segregated. But you could never tell because of course the inner loop is where majority of people who live in Houston go to play.
If you're not near any of the consulates and keep your eyes open you can pretty much see how it is. Same goes for the TMC, which is residentially integrated due to all of the med/grad students living there. However do this- go to Central Market before lunch and observe who is shopping there vs who is working there. Then go to AutoZone & Bam's on Griggs. Then head down to the Gulfgate "Mall". I'm sure there are countless other examples one could use for a mid-day shopping spree.

If you simply use a zip code map and all of the data provided by the C-D data section you can clearly see how divided the inner loop is. Some people here either don't want you to talk about it and/or will try to tell you the opposite. These ongoing gentrification projects will only segregate things further. Of course that's the point, but if you're in the ''west of 288'' crowd you're not allowed to talk about it.

Last edited by tstone; 02-19-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do people keep on pushing that idea that Houston is segregated?
Have these ever been to other cities in the US?

Houston is about as integrated as you are going to find in the US.
I bet even San Antonio is more segregated than Houston (West-South = Hispanic, North = White, East = Black)
My opinion is that it boils down to cognitive dissonance. People have preconceived notions about the south and/or Texas and I think it is very hard for someone not from the south and/or Texas to understand how diverse it is after having been fed a lifelong diet as to the backwards, racist and segregated nature of the former Confederate states.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Worst video ever. With all due respect, the lady's claim on inner loop segregation was based on the fact that we have the wards and the West Village?

While no place is going to be 100% integrated I think Houston is better than most for those that WANT to be integrated.
Exactly. I don't care what anyone says. Describing Houston as "segregated" is such an overstatement, especially compared to the majority of other cities that can claim to be near us in the level of diversity.

We're ahead of the curve, when it comes to racial integration, and that's just the way I see it.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
If you're not near any of the consulates and keep your eyes open you can pretty much see how it is. Same goes for the TMC, which is residentially integrated due to all of the med/grad students living there. However do this- go to Central Market before lunch and observe who is shopping there vs who is working there. Then go to AutoZone & Bam's on Griggs. Then head down to the Gulfgate "Mall". I'm sure there are countless other examples one could use for a mid-day shopping spree.

If you simply use a zip code map and all of the data provided by the C-D data section you can clearly see how divided the inner loop is. Some people here either don't want you to talk about it and/or will try to tell you the opposite. These ongoing gentrification projects will only segregate things further. Of course that's the point, but if you're in the ''west of 288'' crowd you're not allowed to talk about it.
And I believe this to be mostly true, but hardly a diffferent situation than most other American cities. With New York and parts of Chicago being notable exceptions, virtually every desirable urban neighborhood in this country is overwhelmingly white. The less desirable areas are dominated by blacks and Hispanics. Once you get outside the loop is when things get better, and where Houston outdoes most US cities, in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,144 times
Seems like a pretty straighforward scenario to describe. Houston is crammed with immigrants including of course illegals. Young couples will move into a city neighborhood like mine, Timbergrove Manor because it is somewhat upscale and climbing, as a teardown neighborhood. As such it has a pretty good neighborhood school, Sinclair, which draws from economically successful families in the neighborhood which is mostly white. There are some Asians, like the physician who is my neighbor.

But it's not hard to guess what happens when kids get to middle school or high school. Those young families sell and move to Cinco Ranch where their kids can be in class with lots of other whites and Asians. The best teachers want to teach in those schools for lots of reasons, like higher student motivation and achievement, fewer behavioral problems, and such. My neighbors across the street have several kids, including one at Waltrip High and one in middle school. They have been trying to sell but have a house with major problems. The mom describes Waltrip as a "sewer".

I'm lucky to be in a stable neighborhood, and have no kids to think of, but my friends who bought in Champion Forest a few years ago got slammed pretty badly. They just sold and lost about $60,000, their house was a couple of blocks north of 1960. Now I had no idea what was going on out there until they put their house up for sale, but apparently crime is going up there. This couple are empty nesters and about as superliberal as any friends I have, especially the wife. Her analysis: blacks are buying into the area south of 1960, so this superliberal couple joined the white flight and took their loss.

Now people buying real estate are not typically criminals, but others from outside the community start cruising the area, it is pretty there, lots of trees etc. I saw in the Chronicle a story recently where a black kid who was a resident of that area, bought some sneakers at Willowbrook, was followed home by a couple of other black kids who saw the purchase, and blown away for his sneakers. Very hard to understand for me. The murderers were arrested. The accused shooter is 18.

Last edited by groovamos; 02-19-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,509,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Is Houston diverse? Definitely. One of the most diverse (racially, ethnically, socio-economically) places I've lived in or visited- in the US or abroad. Is it the segregated? Yes and no - depends on where you live and your lifestyle/social circle. The video is true in some respects, in that you will find more integrated diversity in some suburbs over others, and some Houston neighborhoods over other neighborhoods. But what I find wonderful about Houston is the tremendous diversity in people of various ethnicities and walks of life I've had the pleasure to meet and befriend just through my normal life's activities - meeting other parents through my children's school or sporting activites, grocery shopping, dining, gym, etc.

In other words, I've found it effortless to meet, interact, and form friendships with people who just happen to be different racially, ethnically, and socio-economically.

It seems that Houston is better that cities of Midwest or North about segregation !
Houston is probably number one for lots of things

Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Seems like a pretty straighforward scenario to describe. Houston is crammed with immigrants including of course illegals. Young couples will move into a city neighborhood like mine, Timbergrove Manor because it is somewhat upscale and climbing, as a teardown neighborhood. As such it has a pretty good neighborhood school, Sinclair, which draws from economically successful families in the neighborhood which is mostly white. There are some Asians, like the physician who is my neighbor.

But it's not hard to guess what happens when kids get to middle school or high school. Those young families sell and move to Cinco Ranch where their kids can be in class with lots of other whites and Asians. The best teachers want to teach in those schools for lots of reasons, like higher student motivation and achievement, fewer behavioral problems, and such. My neighbors across the street have several kids, including one at Waltrip High and one in middle school. They have been trying to sell but have a house with major problems. The mom describes Waltrip as a "sewer".

I'm lucky to be in a stable neighborhood, and have no kids to think of, but my friends who bought in Champion Forest a few years ago got slammed pretty badly. They just sold and lost about $60,000, their house was a couple of blocks north of 1960. Now I had no idea what was going on out there until they put their house up for sale, but apparently crime is going up there. This couple are empty nesters and about as superliberal as any friends I have, especially the wife. Her analysis: blacks are buying into the area south of 1960, so this superliberal couple joined the white flight and took their loss.

Now people buying real estate are not typically criminals, but others from outside the community start cruising the area, it is pretty there, lots of trees etc. I saw in the Chronicle a story recently where a black kid who was a resident of that area, bought some sneakers at Willowbrook, was followed home by a couple of other black kids who saw the purchase, and blown away for his sneakers. Very hard to understand for me. The murderers were arrested. The accused shooter is 18.
It's a sad story, but growing up in the city, I learned to ALWAYS be alert to my surroundings, even if I'm driving. There have been instances where I suspected I was being followed (if a car is still behind me after I've made a lot of turns), so I would just play a subtle game of cat and mouse--changing lanes, running a few lights, staying on high traffic roads--until I finally lose them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston