U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

great pictures!!!!!!thanks a lot!!! I think I'll be really relocating next yr to Houston!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:38 PM

2,652 posts, read 2,346,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
But the horse thing is kind of true, though lol. Especially in North Houston. Who cares? This is the South.
I don't know what Houston you live in, but I rarely see horses. Cattle is mainly outside of the city.

And to touch more on the overweight issue in Houston. This is all thanks to Men's Health Magazine who ranked Houston the fattest city in America for years at a time. The media really gobbled that up seeing we don't hear about it as much now that there's other cities that now outrank Houston. Men'sHealth magazine based the obesity rankings on number of restaurants per capita and the number of people who eat out. Not a good way to measure how many overweight people reside in a city!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,512,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I don't know what Houston you live in, but I rarely see horses. Cattle is mainly outside of the city.
Two words for you...Acres Homes. Take a visit to that area.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM

5,347 posts, read 9,134,620 times
Nice pictures.

Working in the Medical district, there are lots more people on the streets. Maybe because downtown has the tunnels where most of the people are actually walking and eating in those underground restaurants.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:24 AM

649 posts, read 1,434,677 times
nice pics..............

Old 12-10-2007, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,860 times
Exclamation Houston Pics

Thanks for the pictures, I am relocating there soon and I needed these to see whats to come I can't wait.
Sherelle

Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM

54 posts, read 92,515 times
Thank you for the wonderful photos.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 AM

104 posts, read 206,552 times
WOW!! Great Pictures..I can't wait to move there

Old 10-31-2009, 04:39 PM

22 posts, read 32,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post

And to touch more on the overweight issue in Houston. This is all thanks to Men's Health Magazine who ranked Houston the fattest city in America for years at a time. The media really gobbled that up seeing we don't hear about it as much now that there's other cities that now outrank Houston. Men'sHealth magazine based the obesity rankings on number of restaurants per capita and the number of people who eat out. Not a good way to measure how many overweight people reside in a city!
First, regarding this "fat" thing - how ignorant and deliberately slanted of Men's Health Mag. I guess that would make all rural, farm areas with a few greasy spoons skinny places, and NYC and Houston.... Oh, this is too stupid. Some stuck up northern east coast and west coast people like to criticize and make fun of Houston 'cause they are boring snobs who don't know much worth knowing. Thank you C2H for clearing up where this inaccurate stereotype started. The FACTS are more accurate in the Money Mag article, ranking it a "skinny" city.

As far as the horses - what's wrong with horses? I wish there were still more places where you could ride a horse in Houston. When I was a kid many of my friends in 77024 (Hedwig and Piney Point and other nearby villages) had horses and we rode them around the neighborhood. I know I know, that was a long time ago and things have changed. It's still a very nice part of town and we thought the ability to keep a horse in the backyard was a perk. (All yards were a minimum of an acre then, and many were much bigger.)

I have lots of other stories about Houston in the "old" days (fifties and sixties) and horses in many areas that are urban now but won't put you to sleep with them.

Back to my question - what's wrong with horses? There are TONS of horses out here right now in the "nicest" neighborhoods - in Hope Ranch and Montecito in Santa Barbara, in Ojai, in Camarillo's Las Posas area and Santa Rosa Valley, and in many, if not most other cities around here. I'm looking at neighborhoods in Houston with sidewalks and/or trails (to move to), 'cause while the "nice" neighborhoods here have trails they're bridle paths, not paved for people on skates, bicycles or in a wheelchair. (Not to mention the fact that I can't afford those neighborhoods here, and I want to go back "home".)

I realize a horse would not be very happy or get much exercise in most Houston neighborhoods ('cause of the severe shortage of bridle paths and homes with the needed acreage), I'm just wondering why the disdainful attitude about horses from some folks - ? (Maybe I'm overreacting. I don't and won't have a horse, I just think neighborhoods where folks can and do have them are nice. At least out here they are, and they used to be there, before it became so densely populated.)

Most of all - RGV - GREAT PICS; I love 'em!

Last edited by hynes57; 10-31-2009 at 04:54 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 05:39 PM

15,767 posts, read 15,969,869 times
This is an old thread...I saw my dwelling in one of the pics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston