Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 08:03 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times

Advertisements

Nice write-up in the NYT yesterday about how Annise Parker may become the first openly gay woman mayor of a major US city.

Tight Race for Mayor of Houston - NYTimes.com

Last edited by houstoner; 10-30-2009 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: fixed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I can't access it. I have to be a member.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM

Try Bugmenot.com - login with these free web passwords to bypass compulsory registration

Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
So does being openly gay make her the best candidate for leader of this city? I really don't care how these people look, how they were pre-wired, or any other superficial nonsense... let's hear the issues.

Dead link BTW.

Edit: I'll try that password-site.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So does being openly gay make her the best candidate for leader of this city?
I don't think that was the point in any case, but no. It's got to be shocking to some people up in New York that down here in Dogpatch there's even a chance that an openly gay mayor would get elected.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So does being openly gay make her the best candidate for leader of this city? I really don't care how these people look, how they were pre-wired, or any other superficial nonsense... let's hear the issues.

Dead link BTW.

Edit: I'll try that password-site.
No, but IF she's elected it will be an historic event.

I'll go fix that link!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Mr. Brown of trying to buy votes in the black community after he donated money to black churches and received endorsements from some of them.
lol ugh.

But dosen't look togood for her:

Quote:
Recent polls suggest Mr. Brown’s heavy spending on advertising has paid off. He led the field, with Ms. Parker running a strong second, and Mr. Locke third.
That's what I don't like. Same way Bloomberg did it... People still fall for it

Quote:
Despite all the attacks, no one in the race has raised questions about Ms. Parker’s sexuality, not even through proxies. Some strategists say it may become an issue in a runoff if Ms. Parker must battle Mr. Parker or Mr. Locke for conservative voters from the west side of the city.
That would be pretty sad. Not sure if someone would do that, though.

Anyway, I wish her good luck. Same to Mr. Morales,I think he's a decent guy.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Sad commentary on Hou or Dall if either has a mayoral slate as flakey/transgender as one would expect in commie SF or NYC

Exxon (world's most valuable co.) left Midtown Manhattan ~15yrs ago for suburban Dallas to avoid commie NYC clowns and their anti-business, pro-tax, pro-union policies

Unfortunately, much of Hou's energy industry is technically in Hou city limits, unlike Dall where much of value is HQ'd in Irving (IIRC, Exxon alone is worth about as much as all of Hou's energy cos. combined)

But would note that some major energy cos. (Transocean, etc) have already moved HQs to Geneva to avoid silly taxes and social welfare engineering costs of commie towns....far easier in an era of Net/Blkberry and when 35++% of revs of any major energy (or tech or financial) co. are derived from outside US anyway

Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Nice write-up in the NYT yesterday about how Annise Parker may become the first openly gay woman mayor of a major US city.

Tight Race for Mayor of Houston - NYTimes.com
Son of a ****** lol, where have I've been? All along I was wondering why Parker was not leading this race by a landslide, I guess that explains a lot.

I like to see Morales win out but for some strange reason he doesn't have the full backing of his own party (never mind he's the only GOP running). I'd have to say Parker is clearly the best out of the Dems.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,210 times
Woot! I've met Annise Parker and worked on her campaign over summer! She's a wonderful person with even better ideals and opinions about how to make this city a better place.
Being gay is just one aspect to her unique character.
She's been a resident of Houston for a long time and is a graduate of Rice University.

Cheers for Annise!

Woot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: