U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 21,061 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Houston in January and I am having a very difficult time trying to find a place that will accept my pitbull. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any places that say that wont accept him but really dont care. I have heard many ideas about just say that he is a boxer mix, bulldog mix, etc and I am totally willing to do that but i need to find a place that will accept what I say and wont ask to see him. I hate to move in and then get evicted because one day they see me walking him and notice he is a pitbull. Someone with any suggestions or name of apartments or even houses please let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,801,626 times
do you have a 'secondary' requirement? theres probably a bunch of diversified middleclass communities who dont care about your dog. seems everyone in my neighborhood walks their dog but the only thing that bugs me is that tiny black dog zipping into everyones yard without a leash - i might have to report them if i dislike them :\

Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM

155 posts, read 386,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti150 View Post
I am moving to Houston in January and I am having a very difficult time trying to find a place that will accept my pitbull. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any places that say that wont accept him but really dont care. I have heard many ideas about just say that he is a boxer mix, bulldog mix, etc and I am totally willing to do that but i need to find a place that will accept what I say and wont ask to see him. I hate to move in and then get evicted because one day they see me walking him and notice he is a pitbull. Someone with any suggestions or name of apartments or even houses please let me know
Houston has alot of trailer parks...

Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM

7,752 posts, read 18,523,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGIEZ View Post
Houston has alot of trailer parks...

Have only seen very few of these inside the city limits... on the rural-type outskirts, different story!

But I was thinking along those lines too. Sneak him into a slummy apartment and you'll be fine. Or you can buy your own house, keep him hidden/walk him at night, and lie to your insurance company.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Have only seen very few of these inside the city limits... on the rural-type outskirts, different story!

But I was thinking along those lines too. Sneak him into a slummy apartment and you'll be fine. Or you can buy your own house, keep him hidden/walk him at night, and lie to your insurance company.
i think its the HOA rules shes concerned about. my HOA specifically banned these dogs

Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,514,766 times
You can live anywhere in Houston with a pitbull, I'm sure, as long as you put a muzzle on it.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM

7,752 posts, read 18,523,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
i think its the HOA rules shes concerned about. my HOA specifically banned these dogs
I think mine has too. But s/he said "evicted" which implies renting to me. Many nicer apartments have weight limits in place as well. The easiest thing to do then, would be to trade in your pitbull for a wiener dog.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I think mine has too. But s/he said "evicted" which implies renting to me. Many nicer apartments have weight limits in place as well. The easiest thing to do then, would be to trade in your pitbull for a wiener dog.
ok i just read about a few killings involving this dog. theres a trailer park in alief. one along side westparktollway is for sale. its somewhere near F and G streets

Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 PM

6,868 posts, read 13,022,033 times
Is it a true Pit Bull? Did you purchase it from a reputable breeder? Is it just a mix? Is it the kind that has been inbred so much for purposes of protection and fighting?

I strongly recommend you do not lie. First of all, these are not obscure dogs. People know what they look like. If something should (God forbid) happen, you will be liable as an owner now that Lillian's Law has passed in Texas and you can do jail time.

I also strongly recommend you take appropriate measures to protect your dog from being in any way a target of those folks who do not understand the true breed and nature of it. If you buy a house, build an appropriate chain link fenced-in dog run. Take care with fences and doors and locks. Follow the rules of your HOA or city ordinance. Do what you have to do so you aren't easily targeted as a "bad pit bull owner". People are scared to death of these dogs because of all they've seen and heard, and some of it hits very close to home for many. Shoot, I was bit in the face at age 7 by a neighbors' very friendly Cocker Spaniel, so I know any dog can bite, and I took care of a neighbor's Am Staff every time they went out of town and she was just the sweetest dog you ever saw. But still, when I see someone walking down the street with a Pit Bull I get a little nervous, or at least on my guard. You'd think we'd all be prepared to do that with any dog, but we're not. That's just human nature.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you and you can find a safe home for you and your dog.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 PM

178 posts, read 611,751 times
My renter had 2 pit bulls and they tore up our property. We didn't know they had them until we inspected the property.

Do NOT lie to your landlord. You can get evicted on the basis of default of lease. This is how we evicted these other people.

After we found out about the dogs the people would let them out and they would chase down kids in the neighborhod. NOT a fun situation.

These dogs put holes in the walls, floor, tore up carpet. They are aggressive animals and no one can convince me otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston