Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,607 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Richmond, VA to Houston in the coming months and can't decide between settling in the Sugar Land area or The Woodlands. Both seem very nice and have great schools and planned communities. Our girls have been accepted to private schools in both areas as well. Housing seems to be moving really fast in both locations and the prices are higher then we originally expected. My office is in downtown but clients will be all over Houston so really looking for whats the most convenient for my wife and girls.

Are there any locals out there that can give us some insights from a local perspective.

Appreciate any help y'all can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 PM

754 posts, read 846,001 times
The Woodlands for sure. My daughter lived there for 4 years ....great house, pools all over, everything you would want there in the bubble...very nice people. We were so impressed every time we visited her (14x) that we are considering retiring in The Woodlands.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,784,898 times
Both are great. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. Personally I would pick Sugar Land because of the convenience to Uptown, Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Museum District, Medical Center, and Downtown. The 59 corridor just seems more packed with amenities. But like I said before, both are great. To be fair to The Woodlands there are also some good amenities along the 45 corridor like Spring, Bush Airport, and The Heights.

Good luck on wherever you decide.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,998,995 times
If you really are going to be visiting clients all over the city, I would strike the Woodlands off the list. You are going to be miserable when commuting to/from clients south of I-10.

Sugar Land is also not an ideal place from which to commute all over Houston, but it's lightyears better than the Woodlands.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:34 AM

847 posts, read 1,742,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
If you really are going to be visiting clients all over the city, I would strike the Woodlands off the list. You are going to be miserable when commuting to/from clients south of I-10.

Sugar Land is also not an ideal place from which to commute all over Houston, but it's lightyears better than the Woodlands.
the same theory can be applied to sugarland.....what if a lot of his clients are in the woodlands, spring, humble, cypress, tomball. then he's having to commute to north of i-10.

if they decide to live in the woodlands, they can easily take hardy toll rd to bypass the traffic on 45 north.

ideally, if you're having to commute all around the city for clients, the easiest location would be downtown, but we know that won't happen. whether the op lives in the woodlands or sugarland....worse case scenario, he should expect 1hr - 1 1/2 hr commutes.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,607 times
Thank you for the responses. Appreciate the input.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 AM

339 posts, read 797,916 times
Sugar Land is a lot more diverse and The Woodlands has better schooling and choices. I can tell you what is great about living in The Woods is the enormous bike/hike path and their parks. The place never floods even in hurricane, or the worst of hurricane from Alicia to the one we had a few years ago. Our streets from residential to public travel roads are very wide, with no potholes. No sidewalks on most of the homes, no mailboxes standing on each house. It has all the restaurants and bars, shopping too. It is a very active place, we have a lot of running and cycling events, even for kids. The true quality in The Woods are their schools, you can go public and private, both have great records. Its been around 30 years so far, I think I'm going to stick around for a little bit unless I win the lottery.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 19,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Sugar Land is a lot more diverse and The Woodlands has better schooling and choices. I can tell you what is great about living in The Woods is the enormous bike/hike path and their parks. The place never floods even in hurricane, or the worst of hurricane from Alicia to the one we had a few years ago. Our streets from residential to public travel roads are very wide, with no potholes. No sidewalks on most of the homes, no mailboxes standing on each house. It has all the restaurants and bars, shopping too. It is a very active place, we have a lot of running and cycling events, even for kids. The true quality in The Woods are their schools, you can go public and private, both have great records. Its been around 30 years so far, I think I'm going to stick around for a little bit unless I win the lottery.
Not having sidewalks is a desirable trait?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
Ummm, Alden Bridge has been under water before. People had open boats with motors going down the streets. More than 10 years ago..but never say never.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM

14 posts, read 19,483 times
Also, I'm not sure about private schools but according to greatschool.com Sugarland by far has the best public high schools.

GreatSchools.org Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston