Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times

Advertisements

We keep getting issues with wasps getting into our home. Now they are buzzing around like crazy and flying into the weepholes. Is there anything in particular we can use to put in the weep holes to kill them when they crawl in? And does it hurt anything to fill in the weepholes between the first and second story with that expanding foam to keep them out? I know the weep holes at bottom of first story should remain open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,835,741 times
There are plastic weep hole covers that fit in them to keep most pests out. They have small holes to let them continue to vent, but anything bigger than large ants can't get in. Search for weep hole covers.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Wasp seem to always be where they can find water to make their hives.
If you can get rid of their source of the water, I bet you would get rid of them.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 PM

hmmm, we don't really have an water around us. About 5 years ago he had an issue with wasps, then about 3 years ago honey bees in the chimney, now this year the wasps are back.......

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 AM

23,739 posts, read 14,840,115 times
Several of my neighbors have had that problem. Must be a problem because I have gotten a bunch of bandit signs about we remove bees. The county extension service can direct you to a bee removal person in your area.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 AM

When we had the honey bee issues in the chimney, couldn't get a bee removal person to come out for anything. Finally called ABC Pest Pool and Lawn and they sent someone out. Guy didn't even put on a bee suit and climbed all the way up (2-story with high-pitched roof) on that ladder and cleaned them out. Of course, then I had to find a construction guy to repair the damage to the chimney topper afterward because ABC doesn't do that - they only get the bees. Sure makes a one-story look appealing - easier to manage maintenance and issues such as bees yourself.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,078,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
When we had the honey bee issues in the chimney, couldn't get a bee removal person to come out for anything. Finally called ABC Pest Pool and Lawn and they sent someone out. Guy didn't even put on a bee suit and climbed all the way up (2-story with high-pitched roof) on that ladder and cleaned them out. Of course, then I had to find a construction guy to repair the damage to the chimney topper afterward because ABC doesn't do that - they only get the bees. Sure makes a one-story look appealing - easier to manage maintenance and issues such as bees yourself.
I hear you. We have a 3 story house. We have had to eradicate hornets for about 3 years. They will keep coming back til you get all the old nest, pheromones out of the area. I would check to make sure their are no nests inside those weeping holes. I also think diaphanous earth is great for this. You can use a puff duster and shoot it into those areas. It dehydrates these critters. It isn't an instant kill, they get it on them, they carry it back to their nest and everyone gets it on them...It is like finely crushed glass. Use the food grade so you won't get a reaction if you cover your hands and arms, and wear a sheet rock mask to prevent inhaling. It is actually finely ground up sea shells, etc.. Doesn't harm pets if used correctly...Read the precaution label. Some folks even use it on their dogs for flea prevention/killer.
Best to kill these type insects early morning, or evening, when they are all asleep in their nest. I would use those new foam sprays if you have different type nests.
I get mine at our local Menards Building/Home store. Red and White plastic bag, near the plant/garden fertilizers and stuff.

Last edited by JanND; 03-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 21,821 times
we had 3 wasps nests in our wall via the weepholes and mice galore due to the weepholes. We were told to never stuff anything inside that blocks ventilation - We used something called Rid-O-Mice which is a stainless steel grill that fits in and lets the moisture and air pass through the weep holes but keeps the wasps and mice out.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:21 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,188,330 times
Default Mice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmns View Post
we had 3 wasps nests in our wall via the weepholes and mice galore due to the weepholes. We were told to never stuff anything inside that blocks ventilation - We used something called Rid-O-Mice which is a stainless steel grill that fits in and lets the moisture and air pass through the weep holes but keeps the wasps and mice out.
How big are those weep holes? Are you sure they are not entering through other parts of the house?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Wasp seem to always be where they can find water to make their hives.
If you can get rid of their source of the water, I bet you would get rid of them.
So for me, I'm going to have to drain Lake Houston?

That seems a bit extreme, but if that's the only way....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: