Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,163 times

Advertisements

Through Austin from 183 to 71 is 60. South and North of that is 70. I believe it goes to 75 once north of Georgetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Also, didn't they lower the speed limit on I-35 to 55? I guess to try and push drivers over to the 85 mph tollway.
That's the way they play their game.
One time I read an article about the history of Sam Houston tollway and it said that the first few year it wasn't very profitable so one of their main guys proposed lowering the speed limits in other roads (or outer roads?) to increase their profits.

Again, I think that's the way they play their game
I guarantee that anywhere they want a toll road, they don't just let traffic get bad, but they will make it worse (not synchronizing lights) to get people frustrated and see toll roads as their saviors.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM

770 posts, read 1,796,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's the way they play their game.
One time I read an article about the history of Sam Houston tollway and it said that the first few year it wasn't very profitable so one of their main guys proposed lowering the speed limits in other roads (or outer roads?) to increase their profits.

Again, I think that's the way they play their game
I guarantee that anywhere they want a toll road, they don't just let traffic get bad, but they will make it worse (not synchronizing lights) to get people frustrated and see toll roads as their saviors.
I agree. The state appointed toll road authorities are only about profit for themselves and their political supporters (i.e. TXDOT and the state legislature).

I hope the Aggie Expressway never gets built (at least not as a tollway anyway). Again, tolls are not the answer, except for, IMHO when the state transportation budget is so thin that tolls are the ONLY viable option to build NEW routes. I can think that the only reason that TXDOT is crying broke is because millions of dollars are being diverted from the state highway fund to OTHER areas that shouldn't be. Anyway, when the current toll routes construction cost are paid for, I see no reason for those routes not to go "non-tolled."

I may not be a rich suburbanite (in fact, I am a semi-poor college student) but I don't think that those in the suburbs (or anyone for that matter) should have to pay ANOTHER tax to commute to cities to which they live near. Lets face it, Federal and State Gas Taxes are not going away anytime soon, so I think that raising the gas tax a little and ending diversions from the current gas tax revenue in the state will help a ton with the current state demands in road infrastructure.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
FWIW, an expressway there, tolled of not, will enable a person working at A&M to live in the NW Houston exurbs with a semi-tolerable commute.

On another topic, the Westpark tollway seems really poorly planned for Houston's future growth in a corridor where additional capacity is sorely needed.
I agree. I visit the Houston are quite frequently and the western part of the metro, from what I have seen, could definitely use more "non-tolled" capacity. Since first visiting the Houston area in 2011, I have seen areas like W. Houston, Katy, and Cinco Ranch grow significantly. When I had a NTTA tag back then, I did travel on the Sam Houston and Westpark Tollways en route to Brazos Bend State Park and I was stuck in traffic on both.

Anyway, IMHO, the Westpark Tollway should be the first toll road in the Greater Houston Metro Area to become "non-tolled."

Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Again, tolls are not the answer, except for, IMHO when the state transportation budget is so thin that tolls are the ONLY viable option to build NEW routes.
I'm fine with tollroads, if that money was ONLY used for the road where you are paying and is a government road tollroad (not a business running it)

Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with tollroads, if that money was ONLY used for the road where you are paying and is a government road tollroad (not a business running it)
I see what you are saying. I don't think that a buiness or corporation should ever run a toll route because they will more often than not keep tolls on the road forever, as opposed to government-run toll roads.

A great example is the Indiana turnpike (I-80/90). The former governor of that state leased the toll road from the state government to a private company for 50+ years not long ago. Of course, his claim for doing so was the completion of the new I-69 routes in the state.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 AM

222 posts, read 720,039 times
As for the Aggie Tollroad, if it gets built, I wouldn't use it. It would be out of my way to take. I can't imagine there's enough demand for an alternative road from Houston to College Station. Seems to me like hwy 6 is good enough.

Concerning Sam Houston tollroad, I have a friend who works for Transtar and he says like earlier posters....the Tollroad was paid for years ago. The tolls are used to fund not only maintenance for BW8, but other road projects around harris county. When Hurricane Ike hit and the power went out, they were losing a million bucks a day in tolls. The tolls aren't going away and likely any future new highways will be tollroads, as we've already seen.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgerma View Post
As for the Aggie Tollroad, if it gets built, I wouldn't use it. It would be out of my way to take. I can't imagine there's enough demand for an alternative road from Houston to College Station. Seems to me like hwy 6 is good enough.

Concerning Sam Houston tollroad, I have a friend who works for Transtar and he says like earlier posters....the Tollroad was paid for years ago. The tolls are used to fund not only maintenance for BW8, but other road projects around harris county. When Hurricane Ike hit and the power went out, they were losing a million bucks a day in tolls. The tolls aren't going away and likely any future new highways will be tollroads, as we've already seen.
Well, forgive me for being more optimistic, but after 2014 elections, I see a drastic reform in toll-road policies in Texas with a new governor and a revamped TXDOT leadership as well.

Anyway, even if the Aggie Expressway ends up getting built, I will always take TX highway 6 to U.S. 290 in Hempstead, as from personal experience, that trip from College Station to Downtown Houston via that route isn't that terribly long.

As for toll roads, I, like the vast majority of Texan property owners, don't see the current administrations push for toll routes lasting that long.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
Through Austin from 183 to 71 is 60. South and North of that is 70. I believe it goes to 75 once north of Georgetown.
Meanwhile on I-45 North is 60MPH all the way to New Waverly
That's how the government helps the toll roads, raising their speed limit and lowering the speed limit in public roads (screwing everybody)

Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Meanwhile on I-45 North is 60MPH all the way to New Waverly
That's how the government helps the toll roads, raising their speed limit and lowering the speed limit in public roads (screwing everybody)
No its not. It's 65 from the Beltway to New Waverly. Then it jumps to 75 at New Waverly all the way to the Ennis area near DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston