Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 PM

32 posts, read 63,722 times

Advertisements

I have a passion for Computer Science. As a young person, I have always been fascinated about computers and technology.

I am interested in applying to Prairie View A&M to major in Computer Science.

Does anyone know of the reputation of Prairie View A&M in the Computer Science field?

I have looked at the curriculum and the primary language appears to be C++. I wonder why it is not Java?

How well does Prairie View place Computer Science students in employment?

How secure is Prairie View's Computer Science ABET Accreditation?

Students, Graduates, Professors and Employers all are welcome to respond! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM

193 posts, read 340,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph8 View Post
I have a passion for Computer Science. As a young person, I have always been fascinated about computers and technology.

Does anyone know of the reputation of Prairie View A&M in the Computer Science field?

I have looked at the curriculum and the primary language appears to be C++. I wonder why it is not Java?

Students, Graduates, Professors and Employers all are welcome to respond! Thanks!
Java is causing way too many headaches nowadays, C++ is much more stable.

I can´t speak to ABET too much, but they shouldn´t have problem since they just were reviewed

Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I don't know about PVAMU ABET - I heard that ABET wasn't as important for CS as it was for engineering. But I worked in aerospace in Clear Lake for a decade, and we had several PVAMU grads in my group (mostly CS), so they are well respected. The company I used to work for would farm out some of our work to a select group of PVAMU interns each year. I'd swear one of the smartest guys I have met in my life is a PVAMU grad, and we had folks from all over - MIT, UT, ATM, UH, Lamar, Colorado, Florida, etc. He couldn't spell worth a flip, but man he was a machine.

Don't fret about C++. Java and the .NET languages have safety features that C++ does not, so by learning C++ you are learning the hardest OO language out there. Learning all the others will come a lot easier. Plus you'd have an advantage if you chose a career designing video games.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
Im a PV grad and I'll say this...it's not about where you attend its mainly about your passion to develop your craft once in college with outside projects, internships, etc. The CS folks I know have had no problem being employed.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM

Arrow The PV Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Im a PV grad and I'll say this...it's not about where you attend its mainly about your passion to develop your craft once in college with outside projects, internships, etc. The CS folks I know have had no problem being employed.
Were you in the College of Engineering?

Is it true that PV has labs to go with the Math and technical classes to provide outside classroom support to enhance students opportunities for success?

How well do you think a somewhat quiet and reserved Dallas student from the suburbs would fit into the PV College of Engineering culture?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
I was not a engineering major but my roommate was and he and his brother are both doing well. Engineering is intense and its easy to fit in...

Unless you grew up in an area where you weren't exposed to nothing and lived in a bubble, you'll be fine at PV as its basically a suburban campus now and alot of the kids now come from suburban areas

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM

Arrow I look forward to visiting PV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I was not a engineering major but my roommate was and he and his brother are both doing well. Engineering is intense and its easy to fit in...

Unless you grew up in an area where you weren't exposed to nothing and lived in a bubble, you'll be fine at PV as its basically a suburban campus now and alot of the kids now come from suburban areas
When the semester ends at the community college I attend, I look forward to visiting. I believe PV is where I can be successful with hard work and perseverance. I appreciate your communication!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM

259 posts, read 510,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph8 View Post

Joseph, PVAMU is definitely a good school. Maybe possibly you should throw your name in the hat at Texas A&M as well. Depending on your background it may or may not be a longshot...but DEFINITELY worth it. I just started at A&M this semester (January) and already I have an internship lined up for a huge multinational company...thing is I had at least 3 other internships to choose from. Our job fair for Engineers and Comp Science majors is HUGE...I'm talking over 160 major companies ( the who's who of the Fortune 500 Corps) including companies like Samsung and Apple. So while you cannot go wrong at PVAMU by any means, perhaps you should also consider A&M, you have nothing to lose...Good luck in whatever you choose...always chase your dreams, but put the hard work behind it.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Arrow Faculty Support and Enhancements to CS & Math Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
Joseph, PVAMU is definitely a good school. Maybe possibly you should throw your name in the hat at Texas A&M as well. Depending on your background it may or may not be a longshot...but DEFINITELY worth it. I just started at A&M this semester (January) and already I have an internship lined up for a huge multinational company...thing is I had at least 3 other internships to choose from. Our job fair for Engineers and Comp Science majors is HUGE...I'm talking over 160 major companies ( the who's who of the Fortune 500 Corps) including companies like Samsung and Apple. So while you cannot go wrong at PVAMU by any means, perhaps you should also consider A&M, you have nothing to lose...Good luck in whatever you choose...always chase your dreams, but put the hard work behind it.
Hello! I believe you are correct that Texas A&M is an outstanding University for Engineering.

I have identified that for myself I need an environment where there is faculty support. PVAMU has labs that are basically drills for Math and CS courses. Most major universities do not offer this support. A&M is huge! I do better in a smaller environment. The only way I could consider A&M is if I knew what level of support the university provides to maximize educational success. Are there these kinds of labs for Math and CS? May be you can shed some light on this topic or know of someone? The thing about it is I have to be able to Graduate! Thank you for your input. Keep in touch.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Someone posted the following:

"No No & no. PVA&M is like TSU, bad reps in the work world. Go to a reputable university for CS & IT - ex: A&M, UT, Rice or Baylor. Tech or Sam Houston for #2 choices....U of H if you can't make the better schools, but NO to Prairie View. No no."

Since I started this post, I would like to know more information. If Prairie View has ABET Accreditation for Computer Science, how can there be a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston