U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 PM

34 posts, read 69,248 times
Question Beautiful scenery/nature in the woodlands or spring, tx???

I am from Arkansas which if you don't know its The Natural State. If anyone has been there, at least to Southwest or Northwest Arkansas they know how true that is. It is so beautiful here with the trees, parks, and mountains. We're considering a move to The Woodlands or possibly even Spring, TX. I have read that the Woodlands is suppose to be very pretty with many trees. Is that true? Is the land flat? Is there a lot of hiking to do? Or canoeing? What type of outdoor activities are popular there? I would love to move to the most natural and woodsy area out of the two. I am assuming that would be The woodlands from the name. I do not know much about Spring, Tx yet. Does it have many parks compared to the woodlands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 PM

3,554 posts, read 7,205,257 times
Here is a listing for some acreage near the woodlands so you can see how it looks: 10915 Darby Loop, Conroe, TX 77385 - N/A Conroe

Old 10-27-2007, 10:18 PM

2,703 posts, read 235,937 times
Well, Spring is flat. The Woodlands has some rolling topography and the hills get bigger as you get into Conroe. Conroe has some very nice hills.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 21,878 times
We originally moved from Oregon to Dallas and then finally to Kingwood and what sold me on our move to Kingwood were all the trees.

Kingwood has over 75 miles of greenbelt trails that winds through the village (subdivisions). Each village has neighborhood parks, and then there is the Rivergrove and East End parks that have nature areas.

Jesse Jones Park is in Humble. I *think* I've seen canoeing events that they've held, but I'd be a little nervous about the gators.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 PM

3,554 posts, read 7,205,257 times
I also find Kingwood to be nicer than The Woodlands scenery wise. East Texas is mostly forest with lots of large parks. You can go to Lake Livingston or Big Thicket in less than an hour. If your into water sports there is Lake Conroe just to the north. I don't know about good places to canoe other than on Town Lake in Austin but thats a bit of a drive.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 235,937 times
The Woodlands has just as many trees as Kingwood, PLUS it has some nice sloping hills.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:41 PM

809 posts, read 1,156,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy77 View Post
I am from Arkansas which if you don't know its The Natural State. If anyone has been there, at least to Southwest or Northwest Arkansas they know how true that is. It is so beautiful here with the trees, parks, and mountains. We're considering a move to The Woodlands or possibly even Spring, TX. I have read that the Woodlands is suppose to be very pretty with many trees. Is that true? Is the land flat? Is there a lot of hiking to do? Or canoeing? What type of outdoor activities are popular there? I would love to move to the most natural and woodsy area out of the two. I am assuming that would be The woodlands from the name. I do not know much about Spring, Tx yet. Does it have many parks compared to the woodlands?
The Woodlands is an urban area that left a large number of trees standing. So it is much greener and more visually appealing than most urbanized areas.

For someone moving from Arkansas, it is not what you would call "natural and woodsy." For someone moving from NYC or LA it might seem that way!

Signage for businesses is extremely limited and regulated, so the visuals of driving on the main corridors is very aesthetically appealing. (Unlike some other major Houston area corridors - to say the least!)

Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM

9 posts, read 21,878 times
They do have canoeing trips at Jesse Jones Park. I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Here is an article about it for a spring event in last January and last April

They go from Mercer Arboretum to Jesse Jones Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston