U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM

175 posts, read 245,261 times

Advertisements

I am still pregnant and was surpirsed to find out how long the waiting lists are for the daycares in my area for infants. I am looking at the end of the year or January next year and can't find anything. I mean, I've seen wait lists with 17-20 families on them! Is it normal or it's just this specific year? When is the best time to get on the waiting list? We used to live in the suburbs and it was such a bad problem. Now that we moved closer to the city, it looks like it's a whole new game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 PM

864 posts, read 1,922,240 times
What is your area?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

16 posts, read 164,668 times
It's no surprise that the wait lists you see are common. To me, its normal & not just season. The "norm" now is to put your name on the list at least 1 year ahead (yea I know). If you do this, 1 year ahead, your chances of getting into the daycare of your choice may increase---this is just my own opinion so it's not a fact that you will be guaranteed entry. You know the saying, early bird gets the worm! When I am referring to put your name a year a head, these are the day care that probably has a curriculum, better track records & one that's preferred by parents rather than "ABC" day care. I know of someone who put their name at a primrose. She signed up about close to 1 year, primrose called her when her child was 8 -9 months & said they have a spot now & if she didn't take it now, her name would be put back to the starting line. Needless to say, mom took the spot even though she didn't think her child would need daycare till 1.

If you know for certain which daycare you love, put your name on the list so that you are not stressing when the time really comes.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,946,807 times
It is the norm, but I also think the squeaky wheel gets the grease....call all the time to inquire about your spot on the list and eventually they may just give you a spot to shut you up.

My daughter was almost 18 months old before we got into our current daycare. Its because they give preference and waiting list skipping to siblings of kids already enrolled. If you have a lot of pregnant folks at the school the list actually gets longer with you moving down, not up.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM

237 posts, read 480,912 times
We had our first child in January. We live near a new Primrose location. When it opened last year the wife went to check it out and got on the list then. Even after being open only a few weeks they already had a waiting list. We can't get in until first of June.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM

I'm in 77055.
Crazy! I don't even know what to tell my employer. We definitely cannot afford a nanny. I guess it's a good business nowadays - open a daycare.

Also, I was very upset to find out that many daycares do not allow outside food. I mean, the food they serve is complete crap. I'm no health fanatic, not into organics, but I do watch sugars, artificial colorings, preservatives, sodium and such. Things they give them are horrible. And they won't allow to bring my own food???!!! :-(

Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,946,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosto View Post
I'm in 77055.
Crazy! I don't even know what to tell my employer. We definitely cannot afford a nanny. I guess it's a good business nowadays - open a daycare.

Also, I was very upset to find out that many daycares do not allow outside food. I mean, the food they serve is complete crap. I'm no health fanatic, not into organics, but I do watch sugars, artificial colorings, preservatives, sodium and such. Things they give them are horrible. And they won't allow to bring my own food???!!! :-(
I have never heard of not allowing your own food...all of the daycares we toured allowed you to bring your own food, but absolutely nothing with peanuts was ever allowed in any of them. That stinks b/c PB is a staple in my house! We had one with no fridges or microwaves, so you had to have cooler bags and thermos but they have all allowed you to bring your own food, especially breast milk/formula.

As to daycares being good business - nah - I would think its the worst business possible to run...
First you have to deal with parents - daily - all parents think their kid is the most special and most parents are prone to over-reacting when dealing with their kids.

Second - in order to be affordable (less than $1500/mo) you have to pay your employees next to nothing, so that means you have high turnover and low skill workers. (which tend to not show up to work all the time) Though our current daycare does seem to have this under control.

Third - you have to deal with illness - Daycares, even the best of the best, are cesspools of illness....viruses, flu, stomach bugs, bacterial infections, you name it - one kid gets it then they all have it...teachers included. Its got to be near impossible to staff with healthy people. I dont even want to know how many substitute teachers that they keep "on call"

Fourth - Prices are going up all the time and regulations are a pain to deal with. Prices next year at most daycares will go up by 10-15% when Obamacare requires them to provide healthcare to their employees. Most daycares do not currently provide health care, and that means they will be paying the penalty - we have already been informed of our increases coming in February. @$2000/employee, its an increase of about $12/day/kid (on average)

So ya - there is a lot of competition and alot of demand for daycare - but I would imagine that it is one of the worst, if not the worst, industries to own or manage....

Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,483,187 times
Someone told me the key to getting moved up the waiting list is to seem like you really, really, really want that particular daycare and to check in regularly with the director. I did this once and I was quickly moved up the waiting list and my children were accepted.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,812,997 times
Try Gonzalez daycare in the heights. Might be worth the 15 min drive.
Priced right, all the girls are real sweet, the food is not bad, leaning towards organic but of course also stuff that kids love like pretzels, goldfish, chicken nuggets, etc.
We got on the list after conception and had ours start at 12 weeks old.
And its not in or owned by a church so no religion involved.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I have never heard of not allowing your own food......
Me neither. I guess I got lucky with the first daycare my kid went to. But, for example, Primrose daycare centers do not allow outside food, also Kindercare, some smaller daycares I visited as well. When I asked them about food, they bragged about "personal chefs" they have. Turned out their "personal chefs" cooked from frozen and canned meals, no nutrition at all, cheapest brands. I saw utz cheese balls in their kitchens When I asked them how about fresh fruit/vegetables, I wads told that sometimes, not often, they serve them. So sad.

Quote:
Prices are going up all the time and regulations are a pain to deal with. Prices next year at most daycares will go up by 10-15% ....
Oh, wow. It's getting scary. I've thought the prices were already high (I see the average is $1100-1300/month in my zip code), but now...

Quote:
So ya - there is a lot of competition and a lot of demand for daycare - but I would imagine that it is one of the worst, if not the worst, industries to own or manage....
Oh well. The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Someone told me the key to getting moved up the waiting list is to seem like you really, really, really want that particular daycare and to check in regularly with the director.
I will definitely bug them. Thank you for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Try Gonzalez daycare in the heights. Might be worth the 15 min drive.
Thank you for the info! Unfortunately, everything that's inside 610 is the opposite direction from my work and will add about 40 min of commute.
Also, I need to find something around my house, not close to work, because I have meetings in other locations (sometimes 30-40 miles away from the original work location) and I, with this awesome Houston traffic, cannot make it back on time to pick up my baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: