U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,324,480 times

Advertisements

The news saying the MCLIMS principal is leaving for a different position within HISD....has a new principal been selected yet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Article about Houston Mandarin Immersion

Texas, where everything is big, even the Mandarin immersion schools | Mandarin Immersion Parents Council

Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Wow. I disagree with the previous comments about MCLIMS. Granted I have no experience with private education so I can't compare, but as far as public schools go, I think the school is excellent. I've been happy with what my son is learning and what the school & PTO have been able to accomplish this first year. I have talked to a few parents that don't share my enthusiasm, but I find the ones that don't are also the ones that don't participate and mostly complain. I think they look for reasons to be negative. Just saying. Is there room for improvement? Of course, but I think in terms of what we've done so far has been perfectly fine and I can tell by how my son has progressed. We're happy to be there.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,322 times
We had an excellent experience. I was very pleased. The Chinese teachers are wonderful!! The English side needs to catch up to their speed, rigor and preparation level. I am keeping my children there. The language stimulation and the Chinese work ethic are worth it for a public education. As for higher level work - I just work on that at home....

Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 AM

There is an article about the new assistant principal from Austin who is now at MCLIMS.

Is MCLIMS the only Chinese magnet school in Houston? Just wondering.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,309 times
Talking Complainers of MCLIMS

My child is in her 3rd year at MCLIMS and we love the school. There will always be a few parents who are dissatisfied no matter what school they go to because anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Unfortunately, these people are also the most vocal. The vast majority of the parents at MCLIMS that I've talked to are overall pleased with the program and the quality of both the students and staff. Hence, the long waiting list. Over half of the students in the dual language program are GT. The school is very responsive to parent complaints. The first year, within a week of complaints about the pm pick up they immediately changed the process to what the parents wanted. We have a new Principle and Vice Principle now and they are even more responsive. The VP stands out in the freezing temperatures and rain almost every morning just to help open car doors during morning drop off! The Principle arrives early every morning to personally deliver a new lesson himself to the whole school something he calls morning assembly. None of this is required of them. Personally, I think the staff bends over backwards to please complaining parents too much sometimes. One parent gave MCLIMS a bad review because apparently she felt some of the other parents were irritating. Seriously? :roll eyes: As for the review by Mommypremed, all I can say is every school even private will have some teachers that are excellent and some not so excellent and yes, we've attended private school as well so we know. These are problems every school faces, public and private and it's not unique to MCLIMS. Luckily, these complainers weed themselves out leaving room for parents who actually understand how learning a foreign language actually improves one's ability to communicate even in English. I don't think Mommypremed understands that while her particular English teacher for that year may not have been as strong as the Chinese teacher, that by no means translates to her child not receiving a quality education overall. We have excellent English teachers as well though maybe not all are top notch. We do have good ones. Also, parents need to understand that learning Chinese (or any foreign language) and English are not mutually exclusive. The point of learning a foreign language is not just to speak another language fluently but also to enhance one's ability to process language in general, learn how to communicate well and understand how people can misinterpret words and meanings regardless of language type. This means kids will be able to process other languages of all types better, not just English but also math and computer programming. Many people don't think subjects like programming are languages but they are in a sense because all of them have rules and "grammar" in order to be understood.

Of course I don't mind people like Mommypremed leaving the school because it leaves more room for parents who understand this concept to get in. Every time a parent leaves the school means that only kids who can already speak Chinese get in. (They have to pass a written and verbal test if they get in later than Kinder) Not many can do this and those who can are typically well educated. I know, I've seen the new students. This also means smaller class sizes and more teacher attention as students attrition out either because the parents choose to leave, or the student can't handle the difficulty of the workload, or due to bad behavior. Either way, it's a win win for the remaining students.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM

213 posts, read 263,222 times
I just listened to the new Vice Principle speak the other night. He seemed nice and excited about what he is doing; his two children attend the school. We didn't get into that school for two years in a row, but we will be applying again this year and we'll hope for the best!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 PM

143 posts, read 167,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynater View Post
My child is in her 3rd year at MCLIMS and we love the school. There will always be a few parents who are dissatisfied no matter what school they go to because anything less than perfection is unacceptable. Unfortunately, these people are also the most vocal. The vast majority of the parents at MCLIMS that I've talked to are overall pleased with the program and the quality of both the students and staff. Hence, the long waiting list. Over half of the students in the dual language program are GT. The school is very responsive to parent complaints. The first year, within a week of complaints about the pm pick up they immediately changed the process to what the parents wanted. We have a new Principle and Vice Principle now and they are even more responsive. The VP stands out in the freezing temperatures and rain almost every morning just to help open car doors during morning drop off! The Principle arrives early every morning to personally deliver a new lesson himself to the whole school something he calls morning assembly. None of this is required of them. Personally, I think the staff bends over backwards to please complaining parents too much sometimes. One parent gave MCLIMS a bad review because apparently she felt some of the other parents were irritating. Seriously? :roll eyes: As for the review by Mommypremed, all I can say is every school even private will have some teachers that are excellent and some not so excellent and yes, we've attended private school as well so we know. These are problems every school faces, public and private and it's not unique to MCLIMS. Luckily, these complainers weed themselves out leaving room for parents who actually understand how learning a foreign language actually improves one's ability to communicate even in English. I don't think Mommypremed understands that while her particular English teacher for that year may not have been as strong as the Chinese teacher, that by no means translates to her child not receiving a quality education overall. We have excellent English teachers as well though maybe not all are top notch. We do have good ones. Also, parents need to understand that learning Chinese (or any foreign language) and English are not mutually exclusive. The point of learning a foreign language is not just to speak another language fluently but also to enhance one's ability to process language in general, learn how to communicate well and understand how people can misinterpret words and meanings regardless of language type. This means kids will be able to process other languages of all types better, not just English but also math and computer programming. Many people don't think subjects like programming are languages but they are in a sense because all of them have rules and "grammar" in order to be understood.

Of course I don't mind people like Mommypremed leaving the school because it leaves more room for parents who understand this concept to get in. Every time a parent leaves the school means that only kids who can already speak Chinese get in. (They have to pass a written and verbal test if they get in later than Kinder) Not many can do this and those who can are typically well educated. I know, I've seen the new students. This also means smaller class sizes and more teacher attention as students attrition out either because the parents choose to leave, or the student can't handle the difficulty of the workload, or due to bad behavior. Either way, it's a win win for the remaining students.
Does this school fund by the same group of people that create Confucius Institutes around the globe? If yes, HISD and parents should observe and question their motives as well.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM

213 posts, read 263,222 times
One more thing, if you aren't happy with the Chinese school, an Arabic school is opening at Holden Elementary (610 and Duhram) in the Heights in 2015 fall and a French school is opening in the fall of 2016. Pretty cool people. Things are getting better and better...

Old 11-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Does this school fund by the same group of people that create Confucius
Institutes around the globe? If yes, HISD and parents should observe and
question their motives as well.
A really good question, so I did a web search and this I found on the Houston ISD website:

Quote:

Due
in part to the district’s dual language program and MCLIMS, the HISD Confucius
Institute is the only K-12 institute in the state of Texas. The institute
provides support for the district’s rigorous Chinese programs, which prepare
students to be competitive on a national and global level. The institute also
provides professional development for Confucius classroom teachers, fosters
collaboration among the HISD community for the purpose of strengthening
awareness of Chinese heritage and culture, and serves as a resource center for
world language teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston