Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM

63 posts, read 118,121 times

Advertisements

coming from the chgo area (evanston) and not on a bus route so we walk or or drive my kids to school. Is the school bus system a good option? Will we be the oddballs if I continue to drive them to school? One will be in middle school and the other two in elementary and this relocation is a big change so trying to prepare as much as possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:54 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Lots of kids walk or are car riders. We have always had a ton of car riders, but even more so this year that the rules changed. We now have no bus service for elem age 1/2mi radius of school, or 1 mile for jr/sr high. Mind you, this is radius, not turn by turn. For example, my 7th grader rides her bike 1.5 miles to school. As the crow flies we are only a mile away. But since my kid can't fly, it's 1.5 miles using the sidewalk.

If you have an address you can look it up on the Katy isd website to see if you are bus eligable. Since it is measured by radius, a house can be bus eligable while next door it is not.

If you are worried about your kid looking odd, driving to school, not a chance. Since forever kids have been driven to school. Although lots of people are up in arms about losing bus service this year, many people were driving their kids to school when they were eligable.

As a mom who next year will have 2 riding bikes 1.5miles to junior high, all I ask is you be careful, and look out for walkers/bikers. My daughter had 2 near misses this year, and no they weren't careless teens. They were moms in minivans who were in a hurry and cut in front of her midway crossing the street. Take the tardy before running over a kid please!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM

63 posts, read 118,121 times
Thanks! This is helpful info -- and yes I will be careful, I promise! I sure hope we will end up close enough to walk/bike but still searching for the right home (and selling our old one).

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM

13 posts, read 23,037 times
We live in SW Cinco, also Katy ISD. Descovy did a good job describing the transport plan. My daughter is bus eligible for her 5th grade elem school, but she only rides the bus home in the afternoon. This is because if I pick her up, she gets home later than she would if she rode the bus! Pick up lines are long and take time despite some seriously efficient organization in the part of the school staff. My older 7th grader is not bus eligible, we miss the mark by...one house. I know others in this position who have asked the district for permission to ride, and gotten a "yes." We have not done so, as I like the time in the car to chat about the day. You see a lot of people out on bikes, walking, etc, in our area, can't speak for Green Trails, but imagine it is similar. My youngest attends a fabulous preschool, St. Peter's, near there, across from Taylor High. Nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: