Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM

29 posts, read 52,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
I suppose you mean you went to Yale "for" law school. With that type of credential, you will not have difficulty finding work any place you go. I know you have offer from good law firms currently, but something to consider is where your second job would be. I know you don't want to think about this now, but you should always keep the door open. It is unusual today for someone to retire from the same firm they joined straight out of law school. Houston and Chicago both have many law firms and corporations although generally the industries are different. The same would generally be true for the clients the law firms serve. I know that the law firms probably gave you a certain window of time in which to accept their offers, but if they really want you they can push the date out a bit. (See my comments below about a visit).

I have lived in the midWest, CA and the East Coast. I am very new to Houston. What I really notice to each place is that they have a a different feel or vibe to them. For example, I love the older architecture in the East Coast and did not care for the San Francisco city scape. You will be making good money in either city and likely can well afford a house when that time comes. I wouldn't let the cost of living be your deciding factor. Chicago while possibly more expensive than Houston is relatively inexpensive compared to the West and East coast. Unless you think taking a public interest job is in your future, then why not base your decision on the "feel" of the city. Go visit for a few days, look around, check out neighborhoods that you where you might want to live, check out a local bar and coffee shop. How can this not be a good investment for your future happiness?
From my experience, it would be fair to divide the East Coast into two area to compare costs. From NH through Northern VA is relatively more expensive, with the exception of some areas in PA. From Central VA down through FL is far less than Chicago per living costs, with a better quality of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM

29 posts, read 52,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Hi guys! It's me again. I was looking at listings and I saw this REALLY nice duplex. It was 3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and $4,000 a month. It was in the West University Place, near Shriners Hospital. Can someone tell me about the general vibe/social scene of this area?
I don't mean to be nosey, but have you 'back-calculated' to find out how much you actually need (not want) to spend on accomodation? At your young age, a 3 bdr/ 3.5 bath may be more than you require if you will be living without a room mate. Usually, I start out by targetting my personal savings goals from the earnings of new job. Right now 48% of my net salary goes toward personal savings. Then I live within the means of the remainder, which quite honestly is enough for my family's lifestyle.

In addition, I have read some comments are taking into consideration this may not be your last job, my bossonce told me, "it is never too early to think about your next position". As a Bahamian, the avenues for you to start some type of business are vast. Just some advice.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 AM

135 posts, read 335,267 times
You should be aware that Houston is not as open to People of Color as Chicago is. Be prepared to hear some rednecks liberally throw around the "N" word and talk about how Obama is destroying our country and giving all the government money to people on welfare. Way too much of that idiocy here for my liking, but you learn to live with it. If I had other options I would be in Chicago.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 PM

561 posts, read 972,485 times
Quote:
Hi guys! It's me again. I was looking at listings and I saw this REALLY nice duplex. It was 3 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and $4,000 a month. It was in the West University Place, near Shriners Hospital. Can someone tell me about the general vibe/social scene of this area?
Hmm... that area is more suburban, with families. Of course there's Rice University students that to be honest are more of the type of people you meet at Yale, very dorky.

But there are a few bars on morningside, and they tend to have people from all over the city come in on the weekends.

Honestly, choose Chicago over Houston, if you want to have fun and enjoy a big city.

But like others have said, if you want to save money(btw renting @ $4,000/month is just overkill) then choose Houston.

Although 3 bedroom and 3.5 bathrooms, isn't exactly saving money. You could get a condo in a skyrise overlooking the city and/or the water for that much in Chicago probably with 2 bedroom 2 bathroom. But you're paying for the location and the view, which I can assure will provide ample opportunities to invite some ladies up to check out( I know people that have that, and its a huge advantage)

Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 PM

427 posts, read 947,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
You should be aware that Houston is not as open to People of Color as Chicago is. Be prepared to hear some rednecks liberally throw around the "N" word and talk about how Obama is destroying our country and giving all the government money to people on welfare. Way too much of that idiocy here for my liking, but you learn to live with it. If I had other options I would be in Chicago.
Yes, Chicago is great.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM

70 posts, read 111,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNPLAYBOY310 View Post
Interesting comment! What about attitudes to other cultures like mid south-East-Asian, or just Asian in general? I took interest in your post because there are shades to Asians as well. In another forum, I heard Houston was pretty blind to race compared to say, small town America. I generally like to handle the raw facts, some people think there is no discrimination/racism in US while others do, but the facts/truth triumph in the end, so let me know what you think.

Last edited by Str8Talk; 05-16-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
In Houston, you may be a victim of some form of racism simply because racists exist and live amongst us in the world. I think the odds of being a victim are smaller than most other places in country. Some of the northern US metropolises may have lesser odds of racism, but Houston is a very worldly city and becoming moreso every day. I would never worry about it here.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Am i the only young person who prefers a Houston style living over Chicagos.

OP, I am from the caribbean too, been here for over ten years, have never had any problems.

Anyway, take the job that offers the best career prospects. The barrage of people on here telling you to move to Chicago have only been brainwashed by City Data wannabe urban planners and don't remember how miserable living in Chicago is.

Visit both but keep your career in mind.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
I've lived both places, both are fun if you are young and have money. Your dollar goes further in Houston though...and I prefer the winter here.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:22 PM

224 posts, read 527,753 times
Quote:
Howdy Texans! I'm Wesley. I was offered a job by a law firm recruiting at my school yesterday. Due to confidentiality, I cannot disclose which law firm that offered me a position. Anyway, I also was offered a job with a law firm in Chicago almost a week ago. I was going to accept but Houston has a lower cost of living so I want to hear what you all have to say.

I will be able to afford anything up to about $4,125 a month, but looking at listings in Houston, I will probably only need to spend abut half that. My job is on Louisiana Street in the heart of Downtown. Also, is there anywhere in Houston that I could live in with a good social scene? I am about to turn 24 in August and I do not smoke and I am only a social drinker. Also, if this even matters, how will people act toward a foreigner? I am from the Bahamas. My cousin used to live in Houston and he told me that people were EXTREMELY cordial toward him and Texan girls weren't unattracted to him because of his accent. Any tips will be helpful. Thanks!
If you want to work downtown Houston, I suggest you live in the loop for sure, Midtown would be a great option (lot's of people in their 20's), plenty of restaurants and bars for someone with an active social life. The great thing about midtown is, on some days (not smoking hot ), if you wanted you could actually walk to work in the morning (Louisiana street). Living so close to work and play is a major bonus in Houston as the massive commutes are soul-killing in this town. Another cool area nearby is the Med-center/Hermann Park, you could take the train downtown for work. Another great area is near the galleria, but not as great social life as midtown. Anyways, welcome to Houston, I hope everything works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: