Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM

119 posts, read 249,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Sorry I'm just updating you guys. I've been quite busy, as my girlfriend is pregnant. Anyway, I closed on an apartment at One Park Place. The place is totally stunning. I got a 2 bedroom, because when the baby is born, there has to be a nursery for it. I eventually have to get somewhere else though.

I went to that Gatlin's place with my GF. The BBQ was to die for. I also had a Mexican Coke for the first time. It tastes better than regular Coke.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's delicious and goes great with bbq. German coke is really really good too. I guess anything real sugar tastes great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,327 times
If you don't like hot humid weather do not come to Houston

You will hate it

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
If you can afford $4000 a month for housing. Go somewhere reasonable for like $1500/mo. Save the difference and buy a house if you like it here in a year or two with the difference. Then, you can drop your $4000/mo towards a killer house that is an investment instead of throwing that money away on rent.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Time to start planning the move to the suburbs with the little one on the way ;-) That's the typical arc most professionals in Houston make, you just might be on the accelerated version.

May I ask what the typical starting salary at you firm is? I wouldn't think a 2 bedroom at one park place is within range of most first year associates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
If he's in big law, I'd say anywhere from $145k to $180k.
Well, considering he graduated from Yale at 23 years old with 30k in debt from grants and scholarships, I would say he is 1. Far smarter than the average person. 2. Incredibly more dedicated and focused than the average person.

When he said 4k for a housing budget I was trying to put it together. After a few more posts I read 23 and Yale graduate with minimal student debt..

Yeah, he's like a .1% of people, and by the looks of it, he has earned it.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM

322 posts, read 584,711 times
Have any of you felt this goddamn heat? I haven't been able to spend more than 2 minutes outside without sweating buckets! I was raised in the Bahamas and it is hot, but this ***** is over the top!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,812 times
Quote:
Have any of you felt this goddamn heat? I haven't been able to spend more than 2 minutes outside without sweating buckets! I was raised in the Bahamas and it is hot, but this ***** is over the top!
Welcome to Houston!
As far as I'm concerned the heat gives you two choices:
1) Don't go outside
2) Find a nice pool!

Despite what a lot of people have said I loved living downtown - I'm out in the burbs now as I have a young family but there's a lot of cool stuff I miss about living downtown. You can walk everywhere. Discovery green's pretty cool at the weekends. There's a few good bars/restaurants downtown and a cab to midtown/Montrose is like $5. Discovery green is a blast with a kid too (you mentioned you have one on the way - congrats!).

Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM

26 posts, read 67,440 times
Congratulations welcome to affordable and higher standard living! Your dollar will go way further here than anywhere else!

Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM

322 posts, read 584,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
Welcome to Houston!
As far as I'm concerned the heat gives you two choices:
1) Don't go outside
2) Find a nice pool!

Despite what a lot of people have said I loved living downtown - I'm out in the burbs now as I have a young family but there's a lot of cool stuff I miss about living downtown. You can walk everywhere. Discovery green's pretty cool at the weekends. There's a few good bars/restaurants downtown and a cab to midtown/Montrose is like $5. Discovery green is a blast with a kid too (you mentioned you have one on the way - congrats!).
Thanks. At my apartment building, there is a pool. I DEFINITELY have been using it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
The 'adjustment' to the heat will be tough the first couple years, but you will definitely enjoy the winters.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
I grew up on an island in the Pacific, where the sun was warm but it was never this humid.

I don't go outside much during the summer here, but I love the mild winters. Snow is pretty but I'm sure I'd die if I ever get caught in a flurry of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: