Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,352,010 times

Advertisements

I don't think Houstonians should really be praising Galveston as a big attraction to move to the area. I lived in Corpus Christi for 3 years and would "barely" prefer the beaches on Port Aransas to Galveston.

Even then, I moved to Texas from Jacksonville, FL. I always heard so much about the beaches in Corpus and was excited. Upon getting there, in comparison to what I was familiar with, they were disgusting. They weren't the end of the world, and "a beach" is often better than "no beach" but they are still nothing to brag about. The water is often gross and the amount of seaweed and garbage all over the sand is not pleasant scenery or to walk through.

Even when I lived in Iowa for 18 years, I would gladly take the beaches we had in our local lakes over Galveston. Any day of the week. Granted Houston is too populated they would destroy them, but in perspective the sand and water was a million times better. Granted I grew up in some of the nicest lakes in the northern midwest so I am a bit biased. See Link: http://www.vacationokoboji.com/

To each their own. I would never tell anyone not to check out Galveston. It's something that everyone should experience from this area and make their own decision. If you haven't grown up or been to a lot of nicer beaches you may really appreciate it, especially if you have children who just care about sand and water regardless of it's quality. I've been to Panama City, which is on the gulf, a couple times and had a blast. The sand was great and so was the water. It's unfortunate that Galveston isn't like that, or it would REALLY be a prosperous city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM

23 posts, read 43,253 times
Thumbs up Galveston is a paradise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I don't think Houstonians should really be praising Galveston as a big attraction to move to the area. I lived in Corpus Christi for 3 years and would "barely" prefer the beaches on Port Aransas to Galveston.

Even then, I moved to Texas from Jacksonville, FL. I always heard so much about the beaches in Corpus and was excited. Upon getting there, in comparison to what I was familiar with, they were disgusting. They weren't the end of the world, and "a beach" is often better than "no beach" but they are still nothing to brag about. The water is often gross and the amount of seaweed and garbage all over the sand is not pleasant scenery or to walk through.

Even when I lived in Iowa for 18 years, I would gladly take the beaches we had in our local lakes over Galveston. Any day of the week. Granted Houston is too populated they would destroy them, but in perspective the sand and water was a million times better. Granted I grew up in some of the nicest lakes in the northern midwest so I am a bit biased. See Link: Vacation Okoboji

To each their own. I would never tell anyone not to check out Galveston. It's something that everyone should experience from this area and make their own decision. If you haven't grown up or been to a lot of nicer beaches you may really appreciate it, especially if you have children who just care about sand and water regardless of it's quality. I've been to Panama City, which is on the gulf, a couple times and had a blast. The sand was great and so was the water. It's unfortunate that Galveston isn't like that, or it would REALLY be a prosperous city.
Did you see, or hear, about the crowds, or throngs of people visiting Galveston, over the Memorial weekend. Do you think all those people are "first timers" I doubt it. There were almost 500,000 people on the Island over the weekend and I'm sure most of those visitors are not "first timers" People are adults and make their own decisions. I appreciate that you do not "deter" folks from visiting the Island, but your condescending attitude towards anybody who would enjoy the experience by labeling them as probably "naïve" is irritating.

This "area" is the Houston/Galveston area despite what you, or, the US Census may call it . The historical and social ties between the two cities, is beyond your attempts to redefine what that relationship should be.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomisforeverybody View Post
Did you see, or hear, about the crowds, or throngs of people visiting Galveston, over the Memorial weekend. Do you think all those people are "first timers" I doubt it. There were almost 500,000 people on the Island over the weekend and I'm sure most of those visitors are not "first timers" People are adults and make their own decisions. I appreciate that you do not "deter" folks from visiting the Island, but your condescending attitude towards anybody who would enjoy the experience by labeling them as probably "naïve" is irritating.

This "area" is the Houston/Galveston area despite what you, or, the US Census may call it . The historical and social ties between the two cities, is beyond your attempts to redefine what that relationship should be.
You make it sound like I am not entitled to my own opinion. I could care less if 500,000 people visited Galveston over the weekend. They have different opinions than I do. Like I said, if I had kids or desperately wanted to go to the beach, there aren't many other options around here from Houston. The reason the beach is busy is because it's one of the FEW beaches and there's no competition and the population is HUGE.

In comparison to where I'm from your example is poor. Our winter population is around 5000-10000 people. Over 4th of July the population often reaches 100,000+ for the lakes. The closest city of a million people is over 3 hours away. Houston is several million, so 500k people going to a much much larger city of Galveston isn't that impressive.

I gave examples of my reasoning and sorry if you don't like it. The sand still sucks in Galveston and so does the water. I apologize if that stuff isn't important to you, but it is to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the area. I guarantee there's plenty of things I like and I do, that you probably don't like or do. In which case I'm not going to call you "naive" for disagreeing with me. Instead I will understand that what is important to me is not important to you, and go on living my life knowing that your opinion of something does not affect me in any way, shape, or form. I'm sorry you feel the need to be judgmental

Last edited by houstan-dan; 05-29-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM

23 posts, read 43,253 times
Thumbs up Galveston is a paradise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You make it sound like I am not entitled to my own opinion. I could care less if 500,000 people visited Galveston over the weekend. They have different opinions than I do. Like I said, if I had kids or desperately wanted to go to the beach, there aren't many other options around here from Houston. The reason the beach is busy is because it's one of the FEW beaches and there's no competition and the population is HUGE.

In comparison to where I'm from your example is poor. Our winter population is around 5000-10000 people. Over 4th of July the population often reaches 100,000+ for the lakes. The closest city of a million people is over 3 hours away. Houston is several million, so 500k people going to a much much larger city of Galveston isn't that impressive.

I gave examples of my reasoning and sorry if I don't like it. The sand still sucks in Galveston and so does the water. I apologize if that stuff isn't important to you, but it is to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the area. I guarantee there's plenty of things I like and I do, that you probably don't like or do. In which case I'm not going to call you "naive" for disagreeing with me. Instead I will understand that what is important to me is not important to you, and go on living my life knowing that your opinion of something does not affect me in any way, shape, or form. I'm sorry you feel the need to be judgmental
[Mod cut: personal]

Your comparison between Galveston and your Iowa "lakes" is lame. Houstonians, in large part, avoid Galveston during these peak holiday weekends, because we are smart enough to know, that the Island basically, has only one way on, and off the Island, making it a hastle to access during these heavily visited weekends. You are assuming that all of those 500,000 were from Houston, which is not the case. A huge chunk of that number is from outside the Houston MSA. Also on any summer weekend in Galveston, and not just the holidays, you will find over 100,000 visitors easily, and this is not to mention Mardi gras, where you will have over 200,000 visitors to the Island in the middle of winter, what are your "Iowa Lakes" doing then

Last edited by elnina; 05-30-2013 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomisforeverybody View Post
LOL You have got to be delusional, You call Texas beaches "gross" and "disgusting" and you have the nerve to call me "judgemental" Opinions often are judgemental as yours certainly are. I too have opinions, about your opinions, and have posted such. If you can't handle it, tough

Your comparison between Galveston and your Iowa "lakes" is lame. Houstonians, in large part, avoid Galveston during these peak holiday weekends, because we are smart enough to know, that the Island basically, has only one way on, and off the Island, making it a hastle to access during these heavily visited weekends. You are assuming that all of those 500,000 were from Houston, which is not the case. A huge chunk of that number is from outside the Houston MSA. Also on any summer weekend in Galveston, and not just the holidays, you will find over 100,000 visitors easily, and this is not to mention Mardi gras, where you will have over 200,000 visitors to the Island in the middle of winter, what are your "Iowa Lakes" doing then
Our opinions on the beaches differ. The difference between you and I, is I can respect that you have your decision, you obviously can not respect that I don't agree with you.

The beaches are garbage in comparison to a LOT of other beaches in the country. They are great for Houston because there are no other viable local options for beaches, in my personal opinion. Agree or not, I don't care, but don't tell me I'm not allowed to give my opinion on them on a public forum.

You aren't going to persuade me that the beaches are better than any of the other ones I have been to in Texas or Florida. Out of the Texas beaches they are still worse than the other main ones, Aransas Pass/Padre Island and South Padre. And yes, I have been to all 3 of the locations several times.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM

490 posts, read 1,092,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He's just upset about how lame Florida is, so he comes here to hate on Galveston.
No, you see, that's where you're sadly mistaken.

First of all, Florida is, by no means, lame. I think many people living in Texas will agree with me on that, and that is not something I feel the need to justify.

Second of all, I began visiting and posting on some of the Texas forums beginning a few months ago because I was curious about jobs, everyday life, weather, etc. in the major Texas metropolitan areas. I also wanted to learn some of the pros and cons of the state and its cities, the reasons why so many people have been flocking to the state in the past few years, and if those transplants originally from other states were content with their new home.

Don't get it twisted.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,439,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
No, you see, that's where you're sadly mistaken.

First of all, Florida is, by no means, lame. I think many people living in Texas will agree with me on that, and that is not something I feel the need to justify.

Second of all, I began visiting and posting on some of the Texas forums beginning a few months ago because I was curious about jobs, everyday life, weather, etc. in the major Texas metropolitan areas. I also wanted to learn some of the pros and cons of the state and its cities, the reasons why so many people have been flocking to the state in the past few years, and if those transplants originally from other states were content with their new home.

Don't get it twisted.
Galveston is a great place to go, but it's all relative.

If you are used to going to a really nice beach with great sand and water such as in Florida, of course you aren't going to enjoy the sand and water of Galveston.

It's just like if you lived in Colorado and moved to Florida, you're going to think there is nothing to do but stand around sweating and staring at retirees when you compare it to everything that Colorado has to offer.

But if you look at Galveston as a whole, it's a really fun place to go if you live around the Houston area.

There is The Strand, the historic mansions, Mardi Gras, Dickens On The Strand, tons of restaurants, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbauhn, Lone Star Flight Museum, the sea wall, fishing, birding, etc. etc. etc. And even though the water can be brown at times and the "sand" is dirt, you can still swim and surf.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Ah, Galveston. Yep, it's so bad. Which is why Coastal Living Magazine built an Idea House there, it's considered a top ten Spring Break spot, the Travel Channel says it's a top Gulf Coast beach, and there's this other recent top ranking...

But does anyone go expecting the Caribbean or Tahiti? Really?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
there is not a beach that is exactly like any other beach - it is impossible that isn't how the planet works. the definition of what a beach is isn't defined by your experience in Tahini. and even in Tahini, in the middle of nowhere ocean, their natural beaches can get really rank

yes "natural" beaches. there are beaches in this country that are very popular that aren't "real" beaches anymore. the state/county/city pays tons of money to import sand and build infrastructure to maintain a beach there. most of that money comes from tax payers

galveston, as far as i am aware, does minimal improvements to it's changing coastline. most of the beaches there aren't combed constantly like the resort beaches in PR or anywhere else. it's galveston and we dont pay them that kind of money. if we did we'd have white imported sand

the water in our gulf is not any dirtier than the water that flows onshore in FL. the flow in the gulf is semi circular. it mixes around our lower coastline - the water from florida and mexico. two bodies of water mixing you get a lot of dust up. our suburban, farm land and use of our natural resources in this country could be made better to improve the water as well but no American would want that to happen

Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Update for all that think Galveston's water is "dirty":

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Wow, not one single solitary Texas beach had water that is even near this list.

Also, out of 5 stars, there are many 1-star ratings given to several Florida beaches' waters. Not one Florida beach garnered 5 stars. In fact, Galveston's water quality is on par with Florida's Cocoa Beach: 3 stars.

I still love Florida though, and I still love Galveston! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston