U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 PM

558 posts, read 32,514 times

Advertisements

I Westheimer off Fondren.
Now, Fondren north of hwy 59 to the Westpark Tollway is ok..not the best, but not bad. South of 59, its gets pretty bleak. Fondren north off the hwys is getting better. A lot more people of middle class backgrounds are moving in and making the area better. Now with all the new shops on Westheimer..the general area is desirable. Remember...south of hwy 59 on Fondren...its goes downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 AM

4,022 posts, read 4,901,787 times
I you like the area check out Willow Meadows Willow Bend Meyerland West Bury & Maplewood close to the loop lower crime and much nicer homes & closer to much better schools

Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM

894 posts, read 1,919,545 times
Default Don't neglect hidden gems south of HWY-59

It's true that there are some pretty bad apartment complexes and strip centers down Fondren south of the 59. However, there are some incredible "hidden gem" single-home residential neighborhoods back in the neighborhoods between Fondren and Gessner and Fondren and Hillcroft. Most have constable or private security service patrols keeping crime pretty much bottled up. The previously mentioned 70's/early 80's contemporary homes with all the oil-boom finery are some absolutely incredible bargains, including some on small lakes with walking paths around them. We bought a doctor's home that cost $700k in 1983 to build (5500 sq feet, half the ground floor clad in marble!) for a tad over half that. The neighbors are wonderful and more than that interesting - a rainbow of accomplished professionals and entrepeneurs - quite a few of the original white owners with a larger group of West African and Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Iranian, Chinese).

Surprisingly, some of the neighborhoods originally left only partially built out with empty lots are now seeing new home construction with the spectacular mini-mansions seen in the better suburban master-planned communities in the suburbs. These great communities include Northfield, Frontenac, Fondren Lakes, and Lakes of Fondren. The Fonmeadows and South Meadows are solid 1-200k middle class communities of well-kept homes. A horrible abandoned apartment complex that moldered adjacent to them for years was recently abolished and hauled off and that should immediately add a shot to home value. Beltway 8 completion nearby is making the whole area more accessable to downtown and the northside of houston/Bush airport.

I'd probably invest in one of the good private HS's though. Westbury might not give much challenge to the top student although it would help a borderline student get into Longhorn U. under the top 10 rule! Better HS's nearby are Lutheran in Westbury and Strake Jesuit (B)/St. Agnes at Fondren at Bellaire Blvd. Hopefully the spreading gentrification of Westbury and the assimilation of recent His panic aliens and New Orleans resettlers will make the school quality go up and crime down.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 PM

3,030 posts, read 5,698,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
The Sharpstown area is changing for the better. Home values have been going up.
Along Mary Bates it looks descent. It just needs to be polished (trim trees, general yard maintenance, minor exterior touch-ups, etc.). The duplexes along Beechnut could be torn down to make it look like those sidewalks along major streets in Cinco Ranch.

Wasn't this part where Frank Sharp donated houses to the astronauts? I guess another reason that they couldn't accept is that they were too far from Clear Lake. Can you imagine the coup for the Westside if NASA's offices were relocated in the Arena Towers area?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 AM

10 posts, read 24,517 times
Don't rule out Fondren SW Northfield sections too quickly. Just be particular about it. Try entering from Braeswood, heading out from 610, rather than accessing from 59, and stay away from Bellfort east of Hillcroft as much as possible. I stopped in at the local HPD office in the Fiesta shopping center at Bellfort and Fondren earlier tonight to ask the men in blue there what it was like. "Very quiet neighborhood" is how they described the portion of Fondren SW that is north of Bellfort. They said the problems in the area are limited to the apartment complexes for the most part, and it was considerably worse south of Bellfort. The HOAs make all the difference in these subdivisions.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM

564 posts, read 1,324,169 times
The apartments south of W. Bellfort and along Fondren are particularly rough. Go west of Fondren or east of Bob White along W. Airport or W. Bellfort and things improve significantly, although there are a few trouble spots still, but nothing like around Fondren and south of W. Bellfort down to W. Airport. The single-family homes surrounding that area are solid but they have some issues with break-ins, as one might expect, though not so much west of Fondren and north of Bellfort.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM

49 posts, read 109,945 times
Default Try Maplewood West in Fondren southwest

I lived in Maplewood West for 10 years and loved it, great subdivision, frienly neighbours, nice homes too

Old 06-25-2008, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 24,517 times
Default Maplewood West Pool?

Does Maplewood West have an area pool?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM

657 posts, read 1,655,519 times
I was recently driving in that area of Gessner and Fondren, just south of 59 and I was struck by how nice some of the houses are. The problem is that you're surrounded by some of the worst ghetto apartments in the city, on both sides of 59. I can see the area having its advantages with the close proximity of the west loop and affordable prices on the homes. You would probably need good burglar bars and a car alarm if you had a nice car. It seems to me it would be best for someone older, not sending kids to school.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:00 PM

49 posts, read 109,945 times
No but neighbouring Braeburn valley does have one and you can pay like 100 bucks and use it for summer, my friend is putting her house up for sale on westwind ln. its beautiful inside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston