Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

Exactly. I mean after listening to Houston rap its as though you've eaten filet mignion while everything else is almost like fish filet. That's these days, old school I love Tupac!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM

Future of hip hop is Iggy Azalea. LoL

It's that bad! Scarface was right hip hop is losing a battle with the execs.

Iggy thinks she's a rapper. People don't know what good real rap is anymore and they hate on the Houston scene for being too real? Too ghetto? Ha! The world is backwards

Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM

427 posts, read 947,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Future of hip hop is Iggy Azalea. LoL

It's that bad! Scarface was right hip hop is losing a battle with the execs.

Iggy thinks she's a rapper. People don't know what good real rap is anymore.
Why don't you enlighten us?

Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
You can hear Houston's finest on the remix to Beyoncé's "I Been On"... I certainly agree with those rappers for the most part representing Houston.
That remix was pure trash. It just showed how regressive the Houston hip hop scene is. I felt like I was back in 2000 listening to those weak verses.

Quote:
I also don't know if anyone has been listening lately but it seems like a lot of people are copying the Houston/Southern rap sound.
I've been saying this. Lil Wayne and Drake took Houston's sound and capitalized off of it. My favorite song by him is pure Houston. P, Money & Weed.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM

107 posts, read 161,493 times
Fire it up!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Why don't you enlighten us?
Look her up. She has two stupid singles out, she is a Levis jeans model and somehow she is tearing up the scene. I mean the only for that to happen is to be really good or be a total corporate promotional tool.

If you listen to her music you will see which is the truth. She is a mix of Kesha and Nikki Manaj. AWFUL

Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Look her up. She has two stupid singles out, she is a Levis jeans model and somehow she is tearing up the scene. I mean the only for that to happen is to be really good or be a total corporate promotional tool.
Corporate tools have spread like a cancer through every genre of music over the past decade, if not longer.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Whatcha see d, whatcha whatcha whatcha see d

WILLIE DEE BALD HEADED HOES - YouTube

NSFW

Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Whatcha see d, whatcha whatcha whatcha see d

WILLIE DEE BALD HEADED HOES - YouTube

NSFW
Haha that sounds like something I listened to in middle school (1990ish) on 97.9's "X-Rated" show at 1am on my Walkman.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
I actually use to do promotion for alot of indie shows in Houston and all through out Texas. I've been involved directly in the rap/hip-hop industry in Texas doing marketing and blogging writing little articles up on shows and artist and all that good stuff. I've rubbed shoulders with alot of these rappers in Houston not naming dropping but just stating. So my opinions come from a fan of hip-hop and also someone whose been closely involved in the behind the scenes of this industry. I would like to say me personally being a born and raised Texan I actually appreciate L.A./Long beach area rap/hip-hop scene and NYC hip-hop scene over Houston. I also know for a fact NYC appreciates hip-hop on awhole different level being that it is the birthplace and the mecca of hip-hop. I listen to mostly the golden era of hip-hop however on the indie level it's still some good hip-hop artist that are reminiscent of the golden era days. Actually modern hip-hop is going through a transition right now. Lame mainstream hasn't caught up quite yet but it's getting better.

Judging from some of these comments I can tell most people haven't been keeping up with the local Houston scene as of lately. And I actually wouldn't blame alot of people because Hip-hop is over OVER OVER saturated to the point where you hear the word "rapper" and you kind of cringe. I stay far away from the radio and just stick to indie shows. That's why I thought it was kind of funny that people were bringing up Houston artist that were in their prime in the early 90's to mid 2000's. Don't get me wrong i'm not saying their irrelevant, I grew up on those artist. Trust me i'm a true die hard hip-hop/rap fan. Which is why I wanted to be apart of it someway since I couldn't rap myself. I can tell you a couple of Houston rappers to check for that aren't just filled with simplistic rhyme schemes and obsessions with car culture and DOUBLE CUP Syrup. I'll give you some personal favorite relevant Houston artist NOW. Get FAMILIAR WITH THESE ARTIST.

Bishop3rd000 - Bishop:year One // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
1. Bishop3rd000 (met him at SXSW and instantly became a fan and probably because he doesn't have the typical Houston sound and he's from my hometown but doesn't sound regional at all)

Express - Orientation [Music Video] - YouTube
2. Express (a young rapper with alot of social commentary raps which might not be the OP's taste)

Doughbeezy "Wake & Bake" Video dir. by Be EL Be - YouTube
3. Not the biggest Doughbeezy fan but he is getting some buzz in the indie scene and he's borderline mainstream-ish,old school Houston style but still has somewhat his own twist.

Flight Klubb - Feb 5 Hosted by GoDJSuperJay // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
4.Flight Klubb (they actually out of New Orleans but you can say they based out of Houston since they do live here now and have good beat selection)

Lyric Michelle - As If I Was A Child // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com
5. Lyric Michelle (a female emcee who actually was just recently in Rolling Stones and is a total opposite of Nicki Minaj or alot of female emcees who have to objectify themselves to sell records)

Killa Kyleon "Who Shot Ya" ((Official Video)) dir. by Be EL Be - YouTube
6.Killa Kyleon (Granted he's been out since the 90's but you can say he reinvented himself since he missed the wave of rappers back in the late 90's/early 00's) Right now he's in his prime

Fat Tony & Tom Cruz - "Double Dragon" (Prod. by Tom Cruz) OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube
7.Fat Tony (moved out to L.A. and his career took off there cuz honestly Houston can be clickish and slower to respond to "alternative" hip-hop or rap that isn't talking about 2 cups,swanging and banging but he still reps Houston)

Stockz - In Loving Memory (Prod. By Emerald Ruins) - YouTube
8.Stockzilla-(Bumped into this guy alot of times and I guess his personality made me like his music even more. Plus when I found out he was only 19 but has alot of admiration for 90's music I started supporting his music)

The Niceguys - Ari Gold - YouTube
9.The Nice Guys- Granted the led emcee is from NYC however he's been in Houston long enough to be considered a Houston artist as well plus he reps both equally. Also you have a producer,dj, and a manager all claiming one group which is rare to see in hip-hop nowadays.

Bigg Fatts ''Confusion'' Official Video - Produced by Abstrakk - YouTube
10.Bigg Fatts- I'd say borderline regional sound but still has a refreshing twist to his style plus he spit with alot of energy and rawness and you can always hear it in his voice.

That's just 10 I've been bumping recently out of Houston. I get cds from Houston rappers pretty much every week. EVERY WEEK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston