Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I think the area is definitely in decline, especially the closer you are to 1960.
What specific area are you talking about, the 1960 area covers a lot of territory or are you just talking about the Champions area itself? Quite a few people on here throw out these statements and I am curious as to where their information comes from. Just looking at the sale of houses alone in my subdivision seems to say things are going well, they are not on the market long at all. Businesses appear to be stable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 AM

482 posts, read 874,819 times
I wasn't really referring to home sales, sorry if I gave that impression. I was talking about the relative safety of the entire area. I mean the area around Champions, or pretty much anything west of 45 and east of 249 between 1960 and Spring Cypress. If you have been to Willowbrook mall you know what I am talking about. Technically it is south of 1960 but you get the idea.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM

Again, where does the information come from? Not trying to be picky, I would just like to know. Also you are painting a big area with a pretty broad brush. South on Veterans or towards 45 heading east past Kuykendahl and I would certainly agree. I don't actually go to the mall much and when I do it is always during the day but we go to restaurants in the general area around there and safety has never been a concern.

My subdivision or any of them around me for that matter have good reputations for safety (from our monthly newsletter with police report). Around any shopping area of course there could be some crime, we live in a huge city after all and it does and will happen anywhere, but Champions is not an unsafe area.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I wasn't really referring to home sales, sorry if I gave that impression. I was talking about the relative safety of the entire area. I mean the area around Champions, or pretty much anything west of 45 and east of 249 between 1960 and Spring Cypress. If you have been to Willowbrook mall you know what I am talking about. Technically it is south of 1960 but you get the idea.
Huh? This bordered region is enormous and encompasses lots of different areas. The Willowbrook area seems perfectly fine, albeit busy and commercial, though I admit I'm seldom inside the mall. I shop at Costco and REI regularly so am often just across 249 in the 'hood.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
On safety, the question is can you walk your dog at night (talking about a non-aggressive dog - I assume you can walk a Rottweiler anywhere you want). Champions - yes.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
I know old ladies who walk their dogs at midnight.

This area is safe. There was one incident when some guys rang the bell and forced their way in.

There have been a couple of times when lone women were robbed at night while walking to their car.

A couple in Ponderosa was followed home from a grocery store on Louetta and robbed. The same thing happened to DH's aunt down on Post Oak.

Houston is a big city. These incidents could happen anywhere. If you don't hang out at bars or with thugs, you should as safe as anywhere in town.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM

482 posts, read 874,819 times
Cabot it comes from personal experience. Safety is all relative. However, when several people speak of an area in decline, or someone says they keep hearing an area is in decline, they should probably drive around and get a feel for themselves. Go to the grocery store and make that journey to work at the right times, etc. First hand knowledge is key.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:45 PM

A lot of the people who talk about this area in decline and being unsafe do not actually live here and they are talking about what they heard in the past. I do live here. I take my non-rottweiler dogs for a walk in the dark, morning and night and I too see little old ladies and gents with their Yorkies and Shih Tzu's doing the same thing. Would I do this in some parts of the city, heck no, but I have no qualms about doing it around here.

You say you have personal experience. Does that men you lived here and was a victim of crime here? I am sincerely sorry to hear that and do hope it was nothing serious.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
A lot of the people who talk about this area in decline and being unsafe do not actually live here and they are talking about what they heard in the past. I do live here. I take my non-rottweiler dogs for a walk in the dark, morning and night and I too see little old ladies and gents with their Yorkies and Shih Tzu's doing the same thing. Would I do this in some parts of the city, heck no, but I have no qualms about doing it around here.

You say you have personal experience. Does that men you lived here and was a victim of crime here? I am sincerely sorry to hear that and do hope it was nothing serious.
As a minority I feel I can chime in here. There's a good number of us out here. I don't feel like a fish out of water but I do know the closer you get to 1960 the more black people you see and other minorities of less desire.

Champions as in close to Willowbrook is still nice. I can't recall the exact name but those neighborhoods off Cutten that are technically in Cyfair close to the Lanier house are still in the good area. I consider that Champions too.

Now I definitely wouldn't live in Ponderosa and I say that as a minority. It just is what it is. Especially Ponderosa close to 1960 because right across the street down Ella is pretty much NOLA evacuee mecca. Not everyone was bad but the ones where people go NOLA people live in those apartments alllll down Ella. That and Cypress Station. As a person with family who lived down there I can say that with some decent truth/fact.

It's kind of funny how Stuebner/Veterans is. On the Stuebner side isn't pretty nice then it's not so nice on the other side.

I don't think we have them out here but I think as far as nice suburbs the closer you get to 1960, again depending on which parts you kind of get the early stages of section 8 housing type of people/minorities. I'm not saying that but I definitely think people give off that impression. Over the years I've been shopping throughout the North Oaks strip and have heard the "OMG they're taking over" snippets and looking around see a handful of white people, a whole lot of Hispanic and black people mainly women and a lot of children per woman so to me that's the 1960 end is getting bad type of unsaid comments.

Though that was in TJ Maxx and Ross so maybe it was just the stores but still.

Not saying everyone so if that's not you don't comment because it only just makes it look like it IS you when you hurry on the defense.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
As a minority I feel I can chime in here. There's a good number of us out here. I don't feel like a fish out of water but I do know the closer you get to 1960 the more black people you see and other minorities of less desire.

Champions as in close to Willowbrook is still nice. I can't recall the exact name but those neighborhoods off Cutten that are technically in Cyfair close to the Lanier house are still in the good area. I consider that Champions too.

Now I definitely wouldn't live in Ponderosa and I say that as a minority. It just is what it is. Especially Ponderosa close to 1960 because right across the street down Ella is pretty much NOLA evacuee mecca. Not everyone was bad but the ones where people go NOLA people live in those apartments alllll down Ella. That and Cypress Station. As a person with family who lived down there I can say that with some decent truth/fact.

It's kind of funny how Stuebner/Veterans is. On the Stuebner side isn't pretty nice then it's not so nice on the other side.

I don't think we have them out here but I think as far as nice suburbs the closer you get to 1960, again depending on which parts you kind of get the early stages of section 8 housing type of people/minorities. I'm not saying that but I definitely think people give off that impression. Over the years I've been shopping throughout the North Oaks strip and have heard the "OMG they're taking over" snippets and looking around see a handful of white people, a whole lot of Hispanic and black people mainly women and a lot of children per woman so to me that's the 1960 end is getting bad type of unsaid comments.

Though that was in TJ Maxx and Ross so maybe it was just the stores but still.

Not saying everyone so if that's not you don't comment because it only just makes it look like it IS you when you hurry on the defense.
What???? I think one of us has the wrong end of the stick. What do you think I was talking about? What am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston