Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM

497 posts, read 1,485,086 times

Advertisements

I would not choose this as a retirement location - mainly because the property taxes are extremely high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:30 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
Dopo shame on you! How about celebrating that Texas is a business friendly state. We are not run by politicians and unions demading paybacks. Houston has a heathly economy with oil and gas, medical and technology- just to name a few industries.
Are you talking about Texas???

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM

800 posts, read 1,462,881 times
I second the earlier comments, Houston is a great place to earn a living and make some money. Not a bad place to raise a family either, particularly in the suburbs. But if you're retired and looking for a slower pace of life with outdoor activities and that sort of thing, you'd be better off staying in SC (which is where I hope to retire one day, by the way).

I went to school at THE USC in Columbia, and used to think that Columbia was the hottest place on the face of the earth. Then I moved to Houston...

Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You and I must be living in a parallel universe, Dopo. Or this person doesn't know Texas like we do. I thought it was common knowledge almost every contractor working in this state or city had one hand in the cookie jar and the other writing checks to their most favorite politician.

Time was when any elected or appointed state official or any member of their family could not get an economic benefit from anybody they had jurisdiction over. They were making millions. The law was changed to 'could not ask for an economic benefit' from yada yada. This session, they said we can't control what our relatives do.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Well done to Houston! I'm just glad Dallas wasn't at the top of the list; this place is getting crowded enough as it is with all these west coast people cramming in.

Maybe now they'll flock to Houston instead of ruining Austin...though for Austin I fear it may be too late...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
Dopo shame on you! How about celebrating that Texas is a business friendly state. We are not run by politicians and unions demading paybacks. Houston has a heathly economy with oil and gas, medical and technology- just to name a few industries.
And its only going to get better

Texas legislature passes tax cuts for businesses

More businesses are going to want to relocate here.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You and I must be living in a parallel universe, Dopo. Or this person doesn't know Texas like we do. I thought it was common knowledge almost every contractor working in this state or city had one hand in the cookie jar and the other writing checks to their most favorite politician.

Time was when any elected or appointed state official or any member of their family could not get an economic benefit from anybody they had jurisdiction over. They were making millions. The law was changed to 'could not ask for an economic benefit' from yada yada. This session, they said we can't control what our relatives do.
Why do you people still live here? Why don't you move to one of those communist states like Cali if you don't like it.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
because tons of people are already moving to CA? more people moving to LA than Houston or any Texas city according to the most recent of the "top 10 growing cities" list

Texas is a great state - despite some of the loonies that run it (dont argue they arent crazy. it is a fact). Houston is a great city led by a socially liberal, fiscal conservative democrat. Texas is fortunate to be rich in resources. if oil wasnt here we would have never developed in the same way and wouldnt be growing like we are now

nothing in america is communist. once you graduate high school you will hopefully understand

Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why do you people still live here? Why don't you move to one of those communist states like Cali if you don't like it.
I don't think either poster has ever lived in Chicago or NY. The mob runs the unions in Chicago and NY and both government's rule with absolute power. Houston is night and day better then those two cities.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
because tons of people are already moving to CA? more people moving to LA than Houston or any Texas city according to the most recent of the "top 10 growing cities" list

Texas is a great state - despite some of the loonies that run it (dont argue they arent crazy. it is a fact). Houston is a great city led by a socially liberal, fiscal conservative democrat. Texas is fortunate to be rich in resources. if oil wasnt here we would have never developed in the same way and wouldnt be growing like we are now

nothing in america is communist. once you graduate high school you will hopefully understand
Wrong!
California's Population Is Moving Out, Census Report Shows | NBC Southern California

Jobs Aren't Leaving California For Texas, But People Are - Forbes

State-to-State Population Migration

Of every U.S. city, U-Haul says Houston is top destination for people moving - Houston Chronicle

Census finds thousands of Californians flocking to Texas - Houston Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston