Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to get the impression a certain someone might not make the best neighbor, usually the ones who make the most noise are the biggest problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I'm starting to get the impression a certain someone might not make the best neighbor, usually the ones who make the most noise are the biggest problems.
Some of us have just had bad experiences with HOA's. While my home was on the market, I couldn't get my HOA to force removal of an old wrecked car from my neighbors driveway. All that money I paid to my HOA got me diddly squat.

So when I purchased a my new home, why would I want to gamble again with another HOA?

And don't argue about how I should have gotten involved with my HOA instead of just complaining. My old HOA was controlled by the Builder, since they were still selling homes in the 'hood. So they weren't having public meetings.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Some of us have just had bad experiences with HOA's. While my home was on the market, I couldn't get my HOA to force removal of an old wrecked car from my neighbors driveway. All that money I paid to my HOA got me diddly squat.

So when I purchased a my new home, why would I want to gamble again with another HOA?

And don't argue about how I should have gotten involved with my HOA instead of just complaining. My old HOA was controlled by the Builder, since they were still selling homes in the 'hood. So they weren't having public meetings.
If it ever happens again, the county will declare the car abandoned if it has expired inspection or license.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. The developer was allowing the secretary of the golf club to supervise the builders in my last subdivision. She had no clue about codes and deed restrictions, and ignored my concerns. I just ran an ad in the community paper saying I would pay for delivery of a rusted out bed springs and an old washer. Propped that stuff up on the iron fence in my yard at the #4 tee box and had a glass of wine. Didn't take long to get her attention.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If it ever happens again, the county will declare the car abandoned if it has expired inspection or license.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. The developer was allowing the secretary of the golf club to supervise the builders in my last subdivision. She had no clue about codes and deed restrictions, and ignored my concerns. I just ran an ad in the community paper saying I would pay for delivery of a rusted out bed springs and an old washer. Propped that stuff up on the iron fence in my yard at the #4 tee box and had a glass of wine. Didn't take long to get her attention.

It had out of state plates that weren't expired. County wouldn't do anything because it wasn't on public property, Cop said that if they ever move the car out onto the street, then to call because they could tow it. The car looked like hell (between the blue door on a red car, the rust holes and the broken out window) Meanwhile my house was on the market, and I'm sure that it didn't hurt my property value at all right???

Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post

So, it was a situation where you HOA wasn't strict enough?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
I don't understand why people hate HOA's. They are great for home values. I don't like living in neighborhoods without them. Their job is basically to improve and protect the neighborhood. The stronger the HOA the better.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I don't understand why people hate HOA's. They are great for home values. I don't like living in neighborhoods without them. Their job is basically to improve and protect the neighborhood. The stronger the HOA the better.

For starters the reasons people hate them is because they've learned first hand that the claims used to market HOA properties are misrepresentations made by i) the people trying to sell HOA properties, and ii) the vendors that make a living preying off the HOA corporation and its involuntary members.

The "job" of an HOA corporation is to shift financial liabilities from developers and local government onto the homeowners living in the subdivision. HOA corporations don't "improve" or "protect" subdivisions and the claim that they are "great for home values" is a marketing pitch that isn't supported by empirical evidence.

Folks do not living under rule by private corporation - and if you really expect the things you claim then you are better suited for an apartment complex as opposed to expecting other owners to yield fundamental principles of ownership to your insecurities regarding "improvement" and "protection".

Perpetual liens that can never be paid off are not "great for home values". Having roving spies looking for alleged "violations" for profit only creates a rather despotic environment. Having to ask permission from anonymous individuals to make improvements, paint, repair, maintain, etc. your property is offensive, degrading, and inconsistent with fundamental principles of ownership. The litigation vortex circling around HOAs and the predatory vendors are also real selling points - as in reasons to dump the HOA property not reasons to buy it.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
Ok, now you've gone beyond rational debate, this is just trolling. It's pretty easy to see why you had issues with your HOA.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Ok, now you've gone beyond rational debate, this is just trolling. It's pretty easy to see why you had issues with your HOA.
The only individual trolling here is you. You haven't addressed any issues raised in the thread, you choose only to attack other posters with ad hominem attacks. Your comment above is another example.

As far as any issues I might have had with an HOA corporation, as long as one exists there will be an issue. To the extent the issues have been the subject of a lawsuit I prevailed each and every time. I have no doubt that you would have been sitting on the other side of the aisle expecting homeowners such as myself to be forced into the ranks of foolish herd animals like yourself racing to the slaughterhouse for the vendors to feed on. No thanks. There will be more litigation because of the nature of the folks attracted to positions on HOA boards and the for-profit motive of the vendors to provoke litigation - and the lemmings who believe in blind obedience to rules that were never written for their benefit to begin with.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
- and the lemmings who believe in blind obedience to rules that were never written for their benefit to begin with.
That's your opinion. I, on the other hand, believe my HOA rules benefit me. I chose to live in my HOA community, and I enjoy the benefits I receive. You act like people are forced into an HOA. It's not like people buy a home without knowing about the HOA and its rules. If someone doesn't want to be governed by the "HOA corporation", they should buy a home in a non-HOA neighborhood.

What's with your tirade against HOA's anyways? It's a personal choice - live where you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston