Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,574,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I've been looking on Google Streetview and haven't been able to find anything that looks bad in Alief. What are some streets in neighborhoods that are declining?
People think about neighborhoods like this

Google Maps

Google Maps

I think the concept is cool but in practice it didn't turn out so well with time.

I also grew up in that area, and drive through sometimes... In the daytime the most dangerous thing you will face (aside from really crappy drivers) is running into a shopping cart with your car. Nighttime, I don't even know. If I didn't have kids I'd probably go check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Then why did you feel the need to come on here and contradict yourself. Driving through and actually living there is two different things. Like I said I grew up in alief, I know what goes on around there.
Sorry, typed fast, got the wrong quote. Was responding to TWF..'s post, not yours, about driving through there. Alief is a mixed bag, I have some friends in various areas. Some pretty nice neighborhoods like Shadow Lake, some dodgy looking but safe neighs and some normal looking but dangerous ones. Club Creek seemed quiet and nice when I drove through, have no idea at night but I'll take your word for it.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:52 PM

1,903 posts, read 3,201,744 times
That's the thing with Houston. If you're used to the Northeast or coastal CA, a lot of houses in Alief may look fine or even better than houses in stable areas in those high COL locations. What really tells you about an area is the business that set up shop there. In the NE, I can be in areas with houses looking similar to Houston houses (smaller older ranches), and in the NE there will be reputable business, maybe mom-n-pop family owned ethic restaurants, bakeries, bookstores, ice cream shop, coffee shops, etc. In areas with similar houses in Houston (aside from the closer in hot areas) you may see check cashing places, pawn shops, payday title loans, bail bonds, etc.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
In the daytime the most dangerous thing you will face (aside from really crappy drivers) is running into a shopping cart with your car. Nighttime, I don't even know. If I didn't have kids I'd probably go check it out.
Lol, rings true with me. I shop and dine in Sharps and Alief and Harwin often enough, day and evenings, and it hasn't been problematic. I also visit friends in Alief and it's ok. But I just stick to businesses or friends, you couldn't pay me to walk leisurely down the street of the rough neighborhoods at night...whether fact or fiction, I can't shake off the fear.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,941,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
People think about neighborhoods like this

Google Maps

Google Maps

I think the concept is cool but in practice it didn't turn out so well with time.

I also grew up in that area, and drive through sometimes... In the daytime the most dangerous thing you will face (aside from really crappy drivers) is running into a shopping cart with your car. Nighttime, I don't even know. If I didn't have kids I'd probably go check it out.

WOW!!! I lived on corona lane back in the 80's. ( I remember distinctly listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller when it came out on that street). I sure the hell don't remember it like that.
This looks like the house I grew up in

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...28139115_zpid/

We then moved further on down to a house on Lamprey it was upper middle class when I was a teen. Graduated from Alief Elsik. This was the street not sure of the house number.
http://www.trulia.com/homes/Texas/Ho...uston-TX-77099

When I went to visit in the late 90's most of the business's and signs were in Vietnamese.
It was a HUGE shock to me.

These still look like safe areas no?

Last edited by Gilah G.; 06-16-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,292,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Really? I drove through there about 2 mths ago, seemed ok. I mean I wouldn't want to hang around there at night or anything, but I didn't feel intimidated. I don't think there are too many parts of Houston i'd be scare to drive through during the day...some but not on the west side....Was responding to TWF..'s post, not yours, about driving through there...Club Creek seemed quiet and nice when I drove through, have no idea at night but I'll take your word for it.

Club Creek Drive, from Beechnut to Bissonnet, is a cesspool. I receive daily emails listing reported crimes in that area and wonder how people can live there. And I suffered an attempted carjacking close to there a few years ago (described in post 13 in the below link). Fortunately, I live on a quiet street far enough away from there that I dont have to worry, too much, about the crime element that inhabits those apartments.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...l#post12288833

Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,941,892 times
Tfw46 more reps for being a brave g-- and not a brave dude!!!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,292,150 times
Thanks, GG. But I was probably more angry (and stupid) than brave. If one of those carjackers had been armed, I'd have been dead. As I posted, though, I did learn my lesson and will have an unpleasant surprise for anyone who tries that again.

A few years ago a guy from one of the Section 8 apartments at Wilcrest and Beechnut tried to carjack an elderly man who lived in a house several blocks away and who was getting into his car at 6:00 AM. Fortunately, that elderly man had a gun in a shopping bag on the front seat and wounded the carjacker.

Of course, carjackings can happen anywhere -- but the news has had reports of several carjackings-gone-wrong, where the victim was killed, in this area over the past few years.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Club Creek Drive, from Beechnut to Bissonnet, is a cesspool. I receive daily emails listing reported crimes in that area and wonder how people can live there. And I suffered an attempted carjacking close to there a few years ago (described in post 13 in the below link). Fortunately, I live on a quiet street far enough away from there that I dont have to worry, too much, about the crime element that inhabits those apartments.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...l#post12288833
Forum Park, Woodfair, Spice Lane, Club Creek, are all cesspools. Hell on Bissonnet between 59 and the Beltway is about as dangerous as you can get, there's a after hours spot that I swear there's a shooting or somebody gets killed their at least once a month. I'm not even going to mention all the hookers that openly walk those streets.

Hip-hop world mourns death of Money Clip D - Houston Chronicle

HPD investigates after man shot 10 times, ran over by car outside sports bar | khou.com Houston

HPD: More than 100 arrested in prostitution sting | khou.com Houston

Two more arrested in execution-style slayings - Houston Chronicle

Cousins shot outside apartments, manage to dial 911 - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I've been looking on Google Streetview and haven't been able to find anything that looks bad in Alief. What are some streets in neighborhoods that are declining?
Really? You determine if a neighborhood is safe by looking at Google Streetview? I just looked at some streets in Compton, Ca on google maps. The houses looked nice, I think I'm going to take a walk down the street in the middle of the night.(sarcasm) You might want to look at some crime reports or pull some news articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston