Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm24 View Post
Do you think I should be concerned about sending my daughter to a new elementary ? How should we be ensuring that the school is going to maintain the standard ?
I am not concerned. So many of the very involved parents at CWE live in Riverstone and will have kids at the new school, including me. That is a very good thing. Plus, the makeup of the kids at the new school will be basically the same as what they currently have at CWE. I am sure we will be fine. And hopefully the parking situation will be better too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 08:40 AM

152 posts, read 169,670 times
Default Thank you so much @swopoe

Thank you so much for the update . I am going crazy thinking about the school since we just moved from another state and bought the house in river stone . Is there any web site where i can see more info about the
curriculum of this school ? will there be any GT program ? math club etc ?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:51 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the update . I am going crazy thinking about the school since we just moved from another state and bought the house in river stone . Is there any web site where i can see more info about the
Seriously are you asking about the curriculum on a new school that have not even been built?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
There has to be GT, as long as there are GT students, which I can assure you there will be. A math club and other clubs will probably be started. I would not worry.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 AM

152 posts, read 169,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Seriously are you asking about the curriculum on a new school that have not even been built?
I am a first time mom and just want to make sure that if the school is going to maintain the standard . Since i have spent the money on the house i can't afford any private school now . I now i am becoming little obsessed but can't help it . I do work so I am not sure if i can give her a lot of time if the school is lacking in some department .

Old 11-20-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I am a first time mom and just want to make sure that if the school is going to maintain the standard . Since i have spent the money on the house i can't afford any private school now . I now i am becoming little obsessed but can't help it . I do work so I am not sure if i can give her a lot of time if the school is lacking in some department .
If you are so obsessed with the quality of education, you should have spent the money on private school instead and buy a cheaper house. It is a little late for that now, but I think you will be disappointed.

Public school plans get changed on a dime. There is going to be lot of things you are probably not too happy with. The school will probably be over crowded also the minute it is open.

The elementary school plans might even be changed. I won't believe it till i see they lay the cement.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:48 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
Disappointed in a brand new school in an affluent neighborhood filled with kids from one of the best school districts in the area? Doubtful for sure. Private school does not guarantee a better education and this comes form someone who has three kids in private school.

I see you are just taking another jab at Riverstone. That's fine and all but this post is sort of silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
If you are so obsessed with the quality of education, you should have spent the money on private school instead and buy a cheaper house. It is a little late for that now, but I think you will be disappointed.

Public school plans get changed on a dime. There is going to be lot of things you are probably not too happy with. The school will probably be over crowded also the minute it is open.

The elementary school plans might even be changed. I won't believe it till i see they lay the cement.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Disappointed in a brand new school in an affluent neighborhood filled with kids from one of the best school districts in the area? Doubtful for sure. Private school does not guarantee a better education and this comes form someone who has three kids in private school.

I see you are just taking another jab at Riverstone. That's fine and all but this post is sort of silly.
My kids go to one of the "best" schools in FBISD. While I am ok with what they are teaching, it is certainly not great. Public education in general in Texas is subpar compare to lot of other cities. Plus the fact every school is crowded, you will never get the level of attention you will get in private school. This become a bigger issue when there are over 20 kids in every class. I email the teachers regarding issues and while they make alot of effort, is just too many kids to look after.

I also come to the conclusion FBISD is pretty much run for the benefit of the builders and not for the children. Look at what they doing to Avalon Riverstone with all the new houses to sell and suddenly it is proposed to zoned to their "better" school. I guarantee you they will change the plan again in 3-4 years when all those houses are sold and the school is overcrowded.

With the Riverstone folks, some of them are convinced their kid is going to the best school in the city. Some of them think their elementary school is better than the top GT school in HISD. Expectations are just not realistic and pretty silly is what i am getting at. If there are more rankings available than children at risk, I guarantee you FBISD will not be rated as highly.

Lastly, who knows what will happen with that new school. I happen to drove by last week and the trees are all still there. Nothing has been done and they promised opening by Fall 2016, so that's less than 2 years.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:28 PM

You are right, ipuck. None of the public education in FBISD can shake a stick at the public education I received when I was in HS. I took calculus 3 (AP) as a senior in a class of 9 in a public school. Talk about advanced and personalized attention!

But you know what? I am an educator of my children and so is their dad. Between us and CWE or ES 47 or whatever, my kids will be just fine. I see the problems in the schools, I get involved to try and fix them and fill in the holes myself. I don't only sit around and complain.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
You are right, ipuck. None of the public education in FBISD can shake a stick at the public education I received when I was in HS. I took calculus 3 (AP) as a senior in a class of 9 in a public school. Talk about advanced and personalized attention!

But you know what? I am an educator of my children and so is their dad. Between us and CWE or ES 47 or whatever, my kids will be just fine. I see the problems in the schools, I get involved to try and fix them and fill in the holes myself. I don't only sit around and complain.
While I don't know the quality, Multivariable Calculus (one level above BC Calculus AP) is offered at Dulles High School in Sugar Land. My ds took that in Illinois in High school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston