Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here is a place for you for $625 per month that won't require you to have a roommate:
1624 Holman St, Houston, TX 77004 - HAR.com
I read about these on Swamplot before. It sounds like the owner is renovating these and while keeping them affordable. Here's the story - the comments are worth reading too: Taking on a Rough Midtown Trio » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I can just imagine the traffic noise there at that interchange, and being 300 ft from it. ITL I lived 3/4 mile from 610 and the screaming of tires was like an alarm clock at 6:30am. And it was a modern apartment, too.
You see traffic noise, I see a location that is a bike's ride from thousands of employers, a three block walk to Baldwin Park, a 10-15 minute bike ride to Hermann park and the museums, no roommate, less than 2 miles from UofH, access to bus routes and the train and probably 3 dozen bars and restaurants within a mile. I see opportunity.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Your best is probably looking on craigslist for a room for rent in someone's apt. Otherwise, it's very hard (not impossible) to live comfortably on < $30k/year. You need a car here so keep that in mind too.
im an automotive technician maintaining a car will not be a problem.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I read about these on Swamplot before. It sounds like the owner is renovating these and while keeping them affordable. Here's the story - the comments are worth reading too: Taking on a Rough Midtown Trio » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

Ok, maybe a new plan. lol

Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
OP Houston is the place for positive thinking hard working people like you. There are fewer barriers to success in Houston than most cities in this country. Low regulation and no zoning are two that come to mind. There are a lot of great paying jobs in Houston so you are hearing from those who think money is what life is all about. Houston's good economy means business startups have a better chance of success than in most locations with weaker economies. I moved from Houston to N. Hills of Pgh and what a change....not for the better either. Welcome to Tx, I agree with your plannd move for what its worth
it keeps getting better in better. i want to open up an automotive shop in the near futures. its pretty cool houston has low regulation and no zoning.

thanks for the info and the welcome.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
I live in a decent apt. complex and pay 520 a month on the Northwest side of town. If you make 470 a week you can afford to live in Houston. You'll just be living outside the loop but in a decent area. I just hope you done research on Houston in and out. Its a huge city and can be a bit overwhelming to ppl when they first move here.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times
Quote:
You see traffic noise, I see a location that is a bike's ride from thousands of employers, a three block walk to Baldwin Park, a 10-15 minute bike ride to Hermann park and the museums, no roommate, less than 2 miles from UofH, access to bus routes and the train and probably 3 dozen bars and restaurants within a mile. I see opportunity.
Right?! When I was 17, I got my first apartment at Bayou Park Village, overlooking Memorial Drive at Shepherd. It was $395 per month, all bills paid, by the way.

I used to hang out on my big patio and drink the Carlsberg Elephant beer that the complex liquor store would special-order for me without checking my ID, as the commuters jammed Memorial to slowly make their way out to suburbia. Talk about traffic noise!

It was close to downtown and Montrose, etc. I worked on Allen Parkway and took classes at UH, so that was great. I was new in Houston and living on my own for the first time ever. Some of the best times of my life...

Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
IMHO, you're at an age where you can still "go for it". Once you hit 30, worry about playing it safe, but right now, start a new adventure.

Sure, $470 a week (after taxes) will make things a bit tight, but it's certainly doable.

And as far as living outside the loop, forget that. What you're looking for is inner-loop at your age. Just the convenience of everything will be worth a little bit more money.

Here is a place for you for $625 per month that won't require you to have a roommate:
1624 Holman St, Houston, TX 77004 - HAR.com

Is it the Taj Mahal? Of course not. But you'd be a bike or scooter ride from tons of stuff and you're within walking distance to bus routes on those rainy days or when you need to get somewhere further.

Come on down, spend a year or two starting your new life in Houston and getting a better paying job, then decide what you want to do long term. If that long term plan involves school, so what if you start a couple years later.

You're miserable in the cold right now. Worst case scenario is that you end up miserable in the heat. I personally believe that you won't regret it.
This place looks kind of cute!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarwvu View Post
Bring shorts. You will not think the heat here is enjoyable after a short while. Being from that part of the country you may be unsettled by how flat it is here. You will drive long distances, but it will all be on highways. My job in Pittsburgh was 7 miles from my house, and it took me as long to get to it as my job here which is about 17 miles from my house. Personally I love Pittsburgh and would move back, but there is more opportunity here. I lived in the North Hills (as another poster did) and really liked it. Uniontown is another story. I would want to leave that town too.
thats another point. i heard houston was racist. i know uniontown and pittsburgh for the most part racist. i do not want to move from one racist area to another racist area.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 PM

366 posts, read 797,253 times
If you're worried about a town being racist, then stay where you are. otherwise, move to whereever you want, and deal with whatever you're surrounded with. why succumb to an environment when you can be the person that says F U and your racist town. i'll live however i please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: