Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM

15 posts, read 28,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
One of the biggest mistakes I made when moving back to Houston from St. Louis was to have a preconceived notion of replicating my lifestyle in a new town. At that time, the folks from Shell could do it. We joked that they could move a whole street, same house, same wallpaper. People in Houston live a little differently due to weather. That big lot may not look so good when you are mowing it in August. Or paying somebody $100 a week to do it.

If your DH is traveling west, get on the west side of town somewhere around I 10. You may be able to get the size lot you want, the further west you get.

Lakewood is comforting thought but it is smack dab in the middle of a major metropolitan area. Good schools, a big lot 20 minutes from Lakewood @ <750000 is not going to happen.

IMO, school is number 1. Then DH's commute. Then church. We have lots of very good churches. You can see Joel on tv.

Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought about cutting the grass in that heat. Good point. I also hadn't realized that I was trying to recreate my life here down there. I appreciate your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Try Manvel texas to the south of Houston, about 20 minutes from Lakewood on a Sunday with no traffic. They have one house in your price range with 10 acres of land. Hope this helps.

Manvel Homes for Sale | Manvel TX | Homes & Land®

Thank you! I'll look into that.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie12 View Post
We just moved to Texas, USA 3 months ago and like you, schools were our top priority. We found Sugar Land very easy to live in, the schools are excellent, and our commute to Lakewood takes us less than 20 min. If you decide on Sugar Land, I'll be happy to help as we did so much research before moving here and I'll be more than happy to share.

Thank you so much for your reply!!! I would love to hear all of your advice. One of our kids is getting close to high school age. I'm finding elementary schools to be quite good in most areas but decline in middle or high school. What did you find? This search is challenging because it seems that even some neighborhoods are zoned to different schools. What's a girl to do? LOL!!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM

23,966 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandraA View Post
Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought about cutting the grass in that heat. Good point. I also hadn't realized that I was trying to recreate my life here down there. I appreciate your insights.
It was hard to learn that people live differently in different parts of the country. That center hall colonial with all bedrooms upstair was hard to find in Houston. After 6 months here, I understood why.

My brother has lived in Lancaster County for 25 years. We love Pa.

In Houston, you rarely have to put on your shoes to get the morning paper, even in winter. You will get used to it.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Try Manvel texas to the south of Houston, about 20 minutes from Lakewood on a Sunday with no traffic. They have one house in your price range with 10 acres of land. Hope this helps.

Manvel Homes for Sale | Manvel TX | Homes & Land®

thank you so much!! How are the schools in Manvel?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM

89 posts, read 152,937 times
Quote:
Is the Woodlands close to Greenway Plaza?
ASandraA,
The Woodlands is over 30 miles north of Houston. That would be a pretty long drive to Lakewood Church. LOL

I was going to suggest West University Place as well, but after reading other people's responses, I agree it wouldn't fit. Katy is nice for families and has good schools, but that would also be a long drive to Lakewood Church.

Sorry I can't offer more help, but I just wanted to say: I think your family will adjust to and enjoy Houston a lot. I didn't really like it at first (I'm from the Midwest), but grew to LOVE it. (I'm away now and really miss Houston).

Anyway.... Good luck on your move.

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-20-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
thank you so much!! How are the schools in Manvel?
It is in the Alvin School District , which I believe is considered pretty good.

Try this link for research purposes

Manvel Schools - Manvel Texas School Ratings - Public and Private

It has been awhile sense I have had kids in grade school...

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
Here's a great relocation guide [url=http://www.houston.org/living/relocation-guide.html]Houston Relocation Guide FREE![/url] . Check out the new Discover Houston video too [url=http://www.houston.org/living/]Living in Houston[/url] . I live in Kingwood...it's close to Lake Houston and Bush Intercontinental..plus...you can't beat 59 for traveling to and from downtown. Oakhurst (which is called the "New" Kingwood) has many beautiful homes for sale in your price range with large lots. Good luck! ...and welcome to Houston!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:45 AM

108 posts, read 199,399 times
You can definitely find 1/2 to 1 acre lot homes here for that price. You just have to be ready to commute quite a bit to reach inner loop.

I work at a homebuilder (not going to say which one). I know Trendmaker has big lots by Fairfield off 290 (next to the premium outlets). As Failed Engr mentioned, Maranatha Farms has big lots. It's just south of the first colony area, only a few minutes from Hwy 6. There are big lots west of The Woodlands area closer to Tomball and Magnolia. If you really don't mind going far, there are big lots west of Conroe.

Marantha Farms might be your best bet if you want a commute that's not an hour away from downtown (and by that I mean no traffic).

Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 5,850 times
Default finding home

Quote:
Hello!
My family and I are moving to Houston by the end of August. We are from PA. I have never been to Houston and know no one who lives there. I am hoping to find advice on nice areas to house hunt. We have four kids so school districts are very important to us (would prefer one that's not HUGE~ though I'm not sure if that's possible).
Our price range is $600K-$750K. It seems that everyone tends to live in "communities" that have small half acre lots & cookie cuter houses. Sort of like a Ryan Homes neighborhood which is common here but unlike here~ these communities are so large they have their own schools, shopping centers etc. Is this right? Are there other options? Are there neighborhoods with 1 or 2 acre lots?
My husband will have a travel type job going from San Antonio, Austin & Houston. I would like to attend Lakewood Church which I understand is downtown. It's so difficult to try to plan a life for your family from so far away. Can you feel the stress?! LOL!! Any advice would be wonderful!
Thanks!!
First check the local police department for the crime and safety rate of the location you wish to live.

River Oaks area, or rice village would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston