Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1girln3boya View Post
I moved here from CA. Our schools were so crappy that I was impressed with HISD.
Reseda schools? Malibu schools? There's a poster on here whose family and friends won't move here from CA because of the inferior schools. Furthermore, as someone in education it embarrasses me when out of staters (mostly from CA) rip our schools to shreds. Also, compare a CA state test (any grade/subject) to a TX state test. It'll blow your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I just moved here from Illinois and I'm also more impressed with the schools here than I was there. And we were in one of the 'top' districts in the state.

ACA looks interesting but their test scores scare me.
What parts? Are they equivalent? If you are coming from Naperville to FBISD, FBISD isn't likely going to impress you (for example).

Give it time. You'll likely see it my way (although I assure you I truly hope you do not and I am wrong. I would rather be honest through experiences/opinions and results even if I have to bash).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 05:13 PM

63 posts, read 133,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Reseda schools? Malibu schools? There's a poster on here whose family and friends won't move here from CA because of the inferior schools. Furthermore, as someone in education it embarrasses me when out of staters (mostly from CA) rip our schools to shreds. Also, compare a CA state test (any grade/subject) to a TX state test. It'll blow your mind.

What parts? Are they equivalent? If you are coming from Naperville to FBISD, FBISD isn't likely going to impress you (for example).

Give it time. You'll likely see it my way (although I assure you I truly hope you do not and I am wrong. I would rather be honest through experiences/opinions and results even if I have to bash).
We moved from the Bat Area, Fremont to be exact. Our schools didn't have any extra programs like art or music unless there was a volunteer to do it. School days were shorter and there were 3 recesses. It was getting close to closing down school libraries also. They talked us into pulling my oldest out of Kinder bc she was a difficult child, smart but very difficult bc they didn't have time to deal with her. The teacher told us point blank that due to the # of non English speaking students they didn't have time to deal with my daughter who was just a difficult child. The problem was that she was bored and needed extra direction

Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,778 times
I took the "California High School Exit Exam" in 10th grade (Cali's version of the TAKS)...honestly, it was a joke. Two of the easiest exams I have ever taken. I remember being a junior here at was shocked when we had to take four different TAKS exams. In California it was only 2. The sciene was was probably the toughest out of the four but I still passed all four first time. If they were to administer the TAKS test to California students they would struggle with it.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,321 times
Late responding but I can weigh in here.

I am very familiar with Clear Creek GT programs. (I previously worked for the district and have children in the programs.) K-3rd includes a once-a-week pullout (1 hour) program - not much. 4th and 5th includes Alpha, which is a once a week program at the University of Houston-Clear Lake. For one semester each year, these kids go to UHCL on Wednesdays and study the topic of their choosing (from a list - my kids have done advertising, architecture, and creating an online universe).

The crown jewel, imo, is the WAVE intermediate school program. Kids are immersed in GT only classes (except for electives) in grades 6-8. It was the first time my kid was ever challenged in school and she brought home Bs. I never heard a kid complain it was "easy." They also have outstanding fine arts programs there in addition to lots of extracurriculars (sports, chess, robotics, etc.).

CCISD is pickier than most districts. Kids have to be in the top 2-3% to qualify. Other districts have more lenient requirements - usually top 5% (like Friendswood) -10%. As a result, many parents from those districts mistakenly assume their kids will transfer into CCISD's GT program when they transfer into the district. But that is not sure always the case. CCISD used to be more lenient but then had a state audit that said they were "over-identifying" the GT population. (I think that was about 8-10 years ago.)

Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
I took the "California High School Exit Exam" in 10th grade (Cali's version of the TAKS)...honestly, it was a joke. Two of the easiest exams I have ever taken. I remember being a junior here at was shocked when we had to take four different TAKS exams. In California it was only 2. The sciene was was probably the toughest out of the four but I still passed all four first time. If they were to administer the TAKS test to California students they would struggle with it.
Sorry for highjacking this thread. I'm always going to believe CA tests are much more difficult, so I'll drop it.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 997 times
Default reference for GT tESt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1girln3boya View Post
I have a child in GT in Katy. Not sure where you heard it's about status for the parents. Most people don't even know he's in the class unless I mention so not sure what status I have gained from his being in the class. It's a great program. They go all day once a week and learn 3 different topics during the year. This year was Economics, Eco Systems and Energy. During the Economics the kids grouped up and made a business and sold things that they made. They used money earned in class to buy other classmates items and also had to earn money to run the business.
It is hard to get into unlike other districts which places the label on about 1/3 of the students.
I have learned the most parents say stuff like its just for status are the ones that are bitter because their child didn't make it into the program.
In order to make it in your child will have to take a number of tests, parent feed back, and teacher feedback.

Hi ,my daughter is taking GT test since 2 years . she is not qualifying the test with 10 or 8 mark difference every time . any suggestions how to prepare her for the test, any materials for practice .....

Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshmimakkapati View Post
Hi ,my daughter is taking GT test since 2 years . she is not qualifying the test with 10 or 8 mark difference every time . any suggestions how to prepare her for the test, any materials for practice .....
You are gifted, in this sense, or you are not. If you have to study for or practice for the test, you are not gifted. Maybe you need to learn what giftedness really is.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM

25 posts, read 36,216 times
If the child is truly "highly gifted" then spring branch ISD has a school for highly gifted kids. Highly gifted is defined by the district as 145 IQ or higher. You must apply soon to get in and there is a wait list.

Edited to add: it doesn't matter where in Spring Branch ISD you live to have your child go to the school but the elementary school is off of I-10 near Bingle and the middle is at Stratford High School. Not sure where you can get a place for that price range though.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM

20 posts, read 19,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy1 View Post
If the child is truly "highly gifted" then spring branch ISD has a school for highly gifted kids. Highly gifted is defined by the district as 145 IQ or higher. You must apply soon to get in and there is a wait list.

Edited to add: it doesn't matter where in Spring Branch ISD you live to have your child go to the school but the elementary school is off of I-10 near Bingle and the middle is at Stratford High School. Not sure where you can get a place for that price range though.
1 in 350 people has an IQ that high and there's a wait list? I'm thinking the IQ score is lower

Old 04-12-2016, 10:57 AM

25 posts, read 36,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse Canasta View Post
1 in 350 people has an IQ that high and there's a wait list? I'm thinking the IQ score is lower
It is a school within a school so if you were thinking a normal sized elementary, then you would be correct. They probably enroll only 50 kids. It is housed at Valley Oaks Elementary along side a normal elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston