Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 AM

194 posts, read 524,515 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Houston, and I never say any of those three words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,244,908 times
Grew up in Houston saying y'all - still say it. Sir and ma'am depended on whom was being addressed - usually those in a position of authority.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,491 times
My kids learned "yes ma'am/ sir" through school... As young as preschool actually.

When I get stern with the kids... They tell me "yes ma'am" Felt kinda funny at first. It's not anything I have ever instilled in them on purpose at home.

I'm not a native TX, but the kids were all born/educated here.

As an aside, ask any TX elementary student to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and they just run on...

"... Indivisible with liberty and justice for all honor the Texas flag..."

It takes great restraint to STOP at "liberty and justice for all."
Put a period in it, kids.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
I say y'all, mam and sir. I grew up saying that. y'all is the least frequent. I will say you all most of time but throw out the occasional y'all particularly when it serves a purpose - those who find it "cute" and for those those who expect a stereotype. Mam and Sir - I just grew up with that as a respectful way of addressing adults but it carries with me when addressing others. What I want to break is saying "fixin' to" I say that without thinking about it but working hard on breaking that habit.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM

568 posts, read 901,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
My kids learned "yes ma'am/ sir" through school... As young as preschool actually.

When I get stern with the kids... They tell me "yes ma'am" Felt kinda funny at first. It's not anything I have ever instilled in them on purpose at home.

I'm not a native TX, but the kids were all born/educated here.

As an aside, ask any TX elementary student to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and they just run on...

Never heard of that.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:

I never heard this in elementary school in Texas.

I did take the required Texas History class in seventh grade, though.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:52 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,491 times
Did you not say a pledge to the TX flag? Granted my oldest is 13 and I don't know for how many years its been said. (But as long as my kids have been in school)

Basically they learn to say the pledge to the Texas flag immediately following the Pledge of Allegiance. To many kids, the pledge to the TX flag feels like a continuation of the Pledge of Allegiance. They don't stop... They just plow on.

I've seen it happen at flag ceremonies, where a kid or two accidentally run on. My own kid did it once when we were saying the Pledge of Allegiance at an event. Only problem... We were out of state (not TX) so she was the only kid to accidentally carry on.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
No, we did not say the pledge to the Texas flag.

We did sing "Texas, Our Texas," though, and I still remember the words.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM

568 posts, read 901,257 times
Quote:
Did you not say a pledge to the TX flag? Granted my oldest is 13 and I don't know for how many years its been said. (But as long as my kids have been in school)

Basically they learn to say the pledge to the Texas flag immediately following the Pledge of Allegiance. To many kids, the pledge to the TX flag feels like a continuation of the Pledge of Allegiance. They don't stop... They just plow on.

I've seen it happen at flag ceremonies, where a kid or two accidentally run on. My own kid did it once when we were saying the Pledge of Allegiance at an event. Only problem... We were out of state (not TX) so she was the only kid to accidentally carry on.
I didn't even know we had a pledge for the TX flag. What part of Texas are you in?

Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 PM

392 posts, read 998,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
I didn't even know we had a pledge for the TX flag. What part of Texas are you in?
Yep we do, I can't remember the words now but I do remember reciting it after the pledge of allegiance. Also remember being one of those kids that was previously mentioned that got caught combining the two on occasion

It was only in elementary school. I went to a school in Jersey Village and later in Spring and iirc we recited both pledges every day.

Edit: That was early 90s think I started Elementary school in 1990, kids usually start around 5 don't they?

Edit2: I am pretty sure I didn't say any pledges starting in Jr High when I went to Strack in Spring. Not 100% though I have horrible long term memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston