Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM

27 posts, read 58,601 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have been lurking over this Houston forum for the past few months as had been advised a move to your wonderful city was on the cards in the future. Well, I've just been told that the move will happen before the end of August so I have time to get 2 of my children enrolled in school before the first day of term, which is 26th August.

I'm feeling completely overwhelmed at the moment as me and my family's whole lives are about to completely change - for the better I'm sure, but my head is swimming with questions, so please bear with me if I become a regular poster over the next few weeks. Some of the threads I have read have been most helpful & informative, and I thank you all for already making the move less scary.

I'm off to make a coffee and digest this exciting news, will post soon, just wanted to say hi y'all, I'm coming to Houston and I can't wait!!!!

L x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,786,235 times
Welcome to Houston! It is hot here.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Welcome.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM

488 posts, read 1,380,516 times
Welcome LJSassy30, we moved here from Scotland 5 years ago so ask away no matter how silly your question might seem to you. I know I got lots of great information from this forum. Also check out britishexpats.com they have a great USA forum with lots of members in Houston.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM

27 posts, read 58,601 times
Thank you for your kind welcomes. ChocolateBabz, it would appear that Houston is full of Scots from reading various forums.

I'm currently dealing with an excited and enthusiastic 14 year old, a very unhappy 12 year old who is adamant he's not coming, and a wonderful 2 year old who has no idea what is about to happen to his little life. Oh the joys :-)

Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM

488 posts, read 1,380,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSassy30 View Post
Thank you for your kind welcomes. ChocolateBabz, it would appear that Houston is full of Scots from reading various forums.

I'm currently dealing with an excited and enthusiastic 14 year old, a very unhappy 12 year old who is adamant he's not coming, and a wonderful 2 year old who has no idea what is about to happen to his little life. Oh the joys :-)
We moved with a 9 year old who went from tears when we first told him to happy by the time we actually moved and who now says there is no way he would move back, so there is hope. Just keep singing the praises, lovely weather (OK maybe a bit too hot on occasion), possibility of a swimming pool if not in your yard then hopefully in your neighbourhood, galveston, kemah, indoor trampoline parks, go-karting, great food, the rodeo, lots of events on, as much sport as he can handle (if he likes sport, unfortunately mine does not), great shops, xbox/ps3 games cheaper than uk, the list goes on and on.. My dude also likes school much more her than he did in Scotland

Which area are you planning to move to?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM

50 posts, read 117,255 times
It was only 107 (heat index was 117) here a few days ago. I moved here from Massachusetts in 1963 but it was at the beginning of the fall thank goodness! I'm kinda tired of the heat but hate the cold even more but would like to move further inland and get away from the high humidity....

Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM

958 posts, read 2,567,615 times
Welcome, don't let the heat & humidity scare you.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,653,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Welcome, don't let the heat & humidity scare you.
Agree. We moved here from Ohio in July 9 yrs ago (July 5th to be exact), and it was hot. But, eh, it all works out in the end. I will take the summer heat over 6 degrees in the winter and winter snow storms.

Welcome and good luck with your move!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM

536 posts, read 1,059,834 times
Welcome! Plenty of cool stuff do here. Having a pool nearby helps with the heat!
Also you get so much more house here than you do in Scotland for your money and it's a definite plus!
(I don't think I could move back to the UK now purely because I've become accustomed to having more space).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston