U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 AM

87 posts, read 215,725 times

Advertisements

How safe is the area of Southbelt/Ellington ABOVE Beltway 8, like around Fuqua, specifically the zip code of 77075?
Can anyone tell me anything about this area?
I see a lot of new homes in that area and am interested in possibly moving there.

Last edited by Oildog; 07-06-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM

8,730 posts, read 17,852,975 times
Mike - what price range are you looking for? This might help forum posters suggest good zips for you. Other than safe area, what are you looking for - are you looking for a very diverse neighborhood or are you looking for primarily black, white, asian, hispanic (your previous posts listed race as one of the things you wanted to know about)? Are you looking for a lot of parks and recreation within the neighborhood or are you willing to drive a few miles for a park? Lots of kids in the neighborhood or few kids? I think Southbelt is fairly diverse, doesn't seem to be a high crime area - just working class people. Some areas flood - go to fema.gov and look for the flood maps and put in the address(es) you are interested in.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,894,905 times
I grew up in that area (south of it in Clear Lake). I knew a lot of people in Sagemont and even lived in Windmill Lakes for a bit. The area seems to come and go but right now it is cleaning up somewhat, especially with the boom in Pearland and better connections to that area (the roads used to not connect except for cutting through Green Tee Terrace). The infill housing started with mayor's tax credits to get builders to fill in the beltway. Then came bigger developers and then better retail. The area is very diverse since it's where Southeast Houston's Latino areas meeting South Houston's African-American areas meeting the South Belt's older Caucasian neighborhoods.

It used to be a very disconnected area before all the roadways got hooked up (Clearwood to Blackhawk, Monroe to Pearland Parkway, Hughes and Scarsdale going through, etc...). There's going to be crime but not as bad as other parts of the inner belt southeast. With Hobby becoming a bigger player, it brings more jobs to the area and I think it's getting better.

And yes! Some areas flood pretty badly. I don't know if it's gotten worse or better as flood channels and retention ponds battle new development. There is a GREAT trail system down south of there along Blackhawk. It used to be deserted wooded areas but it's now all filled in with nicer neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM

87 posts, read 215,725 times
Texas7 and timtemtim- Thank you for helping.

Timtemtim, that is very informative, I did not know any of that, thank you again.

Texas -

Price range- Between $100,000 and $140,000.
Diversity, I would like some diversity, because I just dont to be surrounded by 100% white, or 100% hispanic, or 100% black, a little diversity would be good. Not a big deal at all.
We are looking for a good amount of parks, no preference whether lots of kids or no kids in the neighborhood, but I personally do have little kids, so they would like a safe park.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM

8,730 posts, read 17,852,975 times
There is an older neighborhood in Pearland called Dixie Hollow where you might find homes in that range. Also, as you mentioned - areas of Sagemont. Check the address out on Floodsmart.gov (you want it to come up as moderate to low risk) and then you can look at FEMA's site to see if it is actually in preferred zone x.

Camino South in Clear Lake would give you that price range homes as would Heritage Park in Friendswood. I'd avoid Forest Bend in Friendswood. In any of them, you should have some diversity.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,894,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
There is an older neighborhood in Pearland called Dixie Hollow where you might find homes in that range. Also, as you mentioned - areas of Sagemont. Check the address out on Floodsmart.gov (you want it to come up as moderate to low risk) and then you can look at FEMA's site to see if it is actually in preferred zone x.

Camino South in Clear Lake would give you that price range homes as would Heritage Park in Friendswood. I'd avoid Forest Bend in Friendswood. In any of them, you should have some diversity.
I grew up in Camino South, exactly in his price range. My parents sold their house there last year for 130. It was 4 bedrooms with a newly redone pool. There are smaller nice houses for cheaper in that neighborhood, also meadow green and pipers meadow which has some very rare late 80's architecture! (almost nothing was built between 86 and 90 when you couldn't GIVE a house away in Houston). I love the split level plans there. None of those neighborhoods flood. We made it through Ike, Allison, Alicia, others with zero water or wind damage except for minor fence repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston