U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 AM

751 posts, read 984,771 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I am seriously considering moving to Houston, but have some questions or concerns. I have lived in the suburbs before and I am looking for a different experience. I have no children, so it will be just me and my fiance. I am interested in living around the 6000 block of Westheimer, that is by Fountain View. I have researched apartments in the area and the reviews are mixed, some say it is a great area, other say not so good. Any ideas? Also, we plan on buying a house in the next couple years and I am afraid that after living in the Westheimer/Galleria area, it would be very hard for us to afford a house in that area. I like Kingwood but traffic on 59 sucks. What are some other neighborhoods similar to Kingwood in demographics, home prices and closer to Houston? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM

2,604 posts, read 8,133,518 times
If I am understanding the question, you want an area where all the homes are mostly well maintained, middle/upper middle income residents, etc. but you want it close in.

Right around fountainview and Westheimer is the Briargrove & Tanglewood areas and they are very exclusive by Houston standards. Going north puts you in the Memorial Villages which is even pricier.

You might find a small home tucked into Larchmont (South of Richmond between Rice & Chimney Rock) but you will pay a premium for the location.

Briarmeadow, just west of Voss & south of Westheimer around Stoney Brook is a very nice area & you could pick something up that might need some updating. The ones facing Richmond go for less since they face such a busy street.

Tanglewilde, south of Westheimer/east of Gessner may offer something too.

If you go further south you can get into Maplewood, just west of Meyerland, and get a nice place in a well-maintained subdivision. Also check out Braeburn Valley & Marilyn Estates, all more affordable alternatives to Meyerland. You might also check at the general southwest corner of loop 610 the neighborhoods of Willowbend, Post Oak Manor & Willowbrook. Along with some northern sections of Westbury and Parkwest. At the southeast corner of the 610 loop you can get a big house on a big lot in the upper half of Glenbrook Valley as well.

North/Northwest you have options possibly in Lazybrook, inside loop 610 at T.C. Jester and adjacent to Garden Oaks on its north side are some areas with nice size homes that aren't too outrageous in Shepherd Park Plaza and Candlelight Plaza. It may be Candlelight Oaks, I can't remember, south of Pinemont, east of Ella.

Also Candlelight Estates on the north side of Oak Forest.

In these scenarios will you not be able to buy a big Kingwood house for a Kingwood price. You might get a Kingwood price on a very small house, or a Kingwood style house for a good bit more in some of them. Some are more affordable than others. So there is quite a range here. You can run the hoods on HAR and see what appeals to you.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,435,179 times
I find traffic on 59 rather tame compared to traffic on 45 or 290.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 PM

50 posts, read 50,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
If I am understanding the question, you want an area where all the homes are mostly well maintained, middle/upper middle income residents, etc. but you want it close in.

North/Northwest you have options possibly in Lazybrook, inside loop 610 at T.C. Jester and adjacent to Garden Oaks on its north side are some areas with nice size homes that aren't too outrageous in Shepherd Park Plaza and Candlelight Plaza. It may be Candlelight Oaks, I can't remember, south of Pinemont, east of Ella.

Also Candlelight Estates on the north side of Oak Forest.
Be cautious of the new train they want to put on Richmond. I love the area's bolded above. Not mentioned as a place to buy -Oak Forest - tear downs or fixer uppers! And it is Candlelight Plaza!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 PM

44 posts, read 150,119 times
Westheimer is mostly a commercial street with tons of traffic on it. The air usually smells like smog in the summer months when there is an O-zone watch and high UV readings. All sorts of people from professionals to thugs access that area for the business on it. The crime is also high on that street. No, someone will not come up to you and stab you in the chest for a crack rock but car/apartment burglary is common. There are also many organized crime rings of drugs and prostitiution on Westheimer.

The nice homes in that area have been very expensive because of location, location, location.

The best alternative would be Meyerland which is about a 10-15 minute drive from Westheimer when the traffic is good. There are many routes one can take to that area from Meyerland so this is great when traffic is high. This area was built up most from the mid 50s to the early 70s. The old homes start at about $200K and go to over $1 million for new construction. Should you have kids in the future the schools in this area are some of the best in town. Bellaire High school is the school zoned to this area. Do some research on that school and you will see why I mentioned it.

There are also no gehtto fabulous low rent and high crime apartments in Meyerland. Yes, there are your typical number of snooty people who think they are rich cause they live here and act as if they live in River Oaks (the most expensive and top tier area of Houston) but you will find stupid people no matter where you go.

The homes are not cookie cutter boxes built in an assembly line fashion. Many have had tons of custom work done and look great. I'd say this is the best area to live if you want low crime, close access to the city, a reasonable price, stability, and not to live in a McMansion.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,980,026 times
I would also suggest looking at Meyerland, Timber Grove, and Lazy Brook as your best bets.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:28 PM

8,724 posts, read 17,814,909 times
Traffic on 59 isn't bad - how long has it been since you've been here - the freeway has been nicely widened.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
Hello all:

I'll be relocating to houston by end of Jan'08. Any suggestion on which area is best to live in? My office will be in greenway plaza, but i don't mind commuting.

Another question will be how much the estimate cost of living for single people?
Is 85K/year (before tax) an enough income to live moderately?

thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 AM

8,322 posts, read 28,256,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Traffic on 59 isn't bad - how long has it been since you've been here - the freeway has been nicely widened.

The 59 Southwest fwy from 610 to 45 can be hellacious during the afternoon rush hours from 4-7pm, sometimes even longer. Yeah, through the Greenway Plaza area.

And if you can't be very comfortable as a single on 85k a year in Houston, something is way outta wack on your budget! May as well get a brand new Benz too.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 PM

8,724 posts, read 17,814,909 times
Should have explained that statement better - I meant 59N -- traffic isn't that bad there during rush hour - going to and from Kingwood and Humble. Going SW -- yes it is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston