U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM

237 posts, read 383,833 times

Advertisements

My wife and I relocated here from another state 7 years ago. Because real estate is so affordable here, we were able use the equity on the sale of our old house to build a very nice home in a gated community in the suburbs. The home prices in the neighborhood range from $300K-$1 million+. Our home is on the low end of that.

What we have noticed is the materialism and judgmental nature of many of the people here—especially the young families with children. My wife stays at home with our young children and has basically been excluded from neighborhood playgroups and other activities because she doesn’t prescribe to the “keeping up with the housewife nextdoor” mantra. We do have many friends from other sources outside the neighborhood but it’s been frustrating for her because it sure would be nice to have neighbors who share our same values. Also, most of the children in the neighborhood attend private school which is disappointing for our kids who do and will attend public. This has gotten bad enough that we are actually considering moving into a less exclusive neighborhood where we fit in more.

Note that we are happy with our home and the location. I just want to know if this is a silly reason to move. Is it even possible to escape the “suburban snobbery”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,425,344 times
Where do you live, Clear Lake? Your neighborhood is your problem, and you can escape that snobbery and remain in the suburbs. Move to a neighborhood that ranges from say $150-220k.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 AM

90 posts, read 325,538 times
Homes in our suburban neighborhood ranged from the $140's-800's and I didn't feel a lot of snobbery. It may have existed in the upper end of that price range, but we were in the low middle of that price range and my neighbors and I let our kids play outside with each other and sat in the cul-de-sac in our non-designer sweats in lawn chairs.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
My wife and I relocated here from another state 7 years ago. Because real estate is so affordable here, we were able use the equity on the sale of our old house to build a very nice home in a gated community in the suburbs. The home prices in the neighborhood range from $300K-$1 million+. Our home is on the low end of that.

What we have noticed is the materialism and judgmental nature of many of the people here—especially the young families with children. My wife stays at home with our young children and has basically been excluded from neighborhood playgroups and other activities because she doesn’t prescribe to the “keeping up with the housewife nextdoor” mantra. We do have many friends from other sources outside the neighborhood but it’s been frustrating for her because it sure would be nice to have neighbors who share our same values. Also, most of the children in the neighborhood attend private school which is disappointing for our kids who do and will attend public. This has gotten bad enough that we are actually considering moving into a less exclusive neighborhood where we fit in more.

Note that we are happy with our home and the location. I just want to know if this is a silly reason to move. Is it even possible to escape the “suburban snobbery”?
Yes, it's possible to escape it. Y'all are on the low end of a development that has some expensive houses for Texas...I would expect that level of snobbery in a place like that.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,450,688 times
Doesn't sound like your neighbors are worth your time. When I moved here I joined several playgroups and they were all like that too. I think it is the "culture" of the playgroups. I think the snooty moms all assume that just because you stay home you are mega rich and play all those keeping up with the jones games. My solution was to get out of the playgroup thing. Try going to local parks, or story hours at the library. You may have a better shot at meeting some more down to earth people.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 AM

1,290 posts, read 4,835,669 times
I think the Woodlands might be the worst place in Houston for that...followed closely by Katy.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 AM

The upper ends of these neighborhoods often have people who are almost psychotically high strung. No net worth, stemming from a materialistic lifestyle that takes priority over true assets, mixed with a lot of "fine" wine, can do that to people in no time. There has been plenty of news about those "upscale" Clear Lake folks... who act like they came straight out the trailer.

The grocery stores on Space Center in Clear Lake are great places to watch these people and all their Mickey Mouse **** on the weekends. In one you can find a father with his completely plastic wife (and young boys) snapping his fingers at other men at random. In the other you can find a 50 year old honking at and flipping off a 70-something trying to walk the parking lot crosswalk, then revving up his truck and circling the parking lot... with his pissed-off wife. In both you can find people who say random and completely nonsensical sentences to you only they understand. Fortunately this is all I've witnessed in 2 years. These pansies have it coming to them one of these days.

Anyway, our combined income is in line with the median incomes in these upscale zip codes but you can NEVER get us to live in them. We live within the set of Clear Lake neighborhoods that range from 170-220k and are happy. We have pros like engineering project managers, doctors and lawyers. Then there are regular professionals too. But everyone on our culdesac is down to earth. The houses are all kept but most of the cars are just normal. A few are nice, a few are junky. There are people who like to talk a lot and others who keep to themselves. Everyone waves at least, and we all try to look out for each other if possible. All the kids are about 8 and younger and play at the end of the culdesac together.

The biggest problem moving from a posh neighborhood to one that is more down to earth is your square footage limit will be about 2,700 for something of good quality in that price range. You can go bigger (KB home) but you will compromise quality.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 AM

690 posts, read 2,354,613 times
If I liked my home and location, there's no way in hell a bunch of bad neighbors would make me move. Ignore them. Your wife can find other outlets for your children, other places to play and visit. Screw the neighbors.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 AM

47 posts, read 337,070 times
msjones, exactly, totally agree... act like they don't exist, two can play at this game...

Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM

It's funny 300k-1M is snobbery here... while in California that'll get you anywhere from a tent to a house we consider normal. But yet and still, some people have absolutely no clue.

A house is a house. I'm sorry, but I'd rather live in a neighborhood that I'll be happy and free from these mentally unhealthy shenanigans. For the sake of myself, my wife and my future children. Yes, two can play the game but two wrongs don't make a right either.

That said, a little prior research on neighborhoods and areas never hurt anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston