Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston's Beauty underrated?
Yes, Definitely! 42 23.46%
Not at all 70 39.11%
Somewhat, not entirely 66 36.87%
Other (Please explain) 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Yeah, the drive into town from IAH certainly does make a bad first impression. Years ago, there was some talk about doing something to make it look nicer, but no action followed. The most feasible thing I can think would be to use landscaping to hide the miles of cheap, ugly strip malls, etc. But ... in the end, Houston will still be Houston. People can put up almost anything they want, where they want, then let it decay. Kinda like the Holiday Inn / Days Inn / Heaven on Earth highrise downtown.
Houston shouldn't be so down on this because in reality, it's a Texas thing. In fact, I would say San Antonio and Austin are just as bad with this miles of cheap ugly strip malls on the freeway. Dallas isn't to far behind. Those feeder/access/service roads only have one advantage to me and that's to escape traffic. Other than that, allowing businesses on them was a mistake. Now many of those feeder roads are mini highways themselves. Seen so many near misses on them more than on the actual freeway. To me, areas without those feeders look more aesthetically pleasing than areas with them.

Also, one thing Houston should actually love about their city is the greenery. It could actually be even more green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 AM

35 posts, read 25,425 times
Houston is the not so good looking woman you fell in love with due to her personality, married and you find defending your decision until death do you part.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:45 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,734,052 times
There are so many crepe myrtles and Oleanders in bloom masking the sight and sounds of freeways all over town this time of year.

Driving through downtown yesterday it was refreshing to see so many trees. Sycamores, ReD Oak, Pin Oak, the number and variety was amazing.

Even the Bayous have been looking good the last couple years since they have been pulling up all the concrete and planting natives for a more natural look.

The wild flowers along the Bayous too this year were splended.

I love the landscaping along the thick medians around town. Some of the more native plants such as Texas Olive, Texas Redbud, Southern Magnolia, make for a really beautiful drive

Old 05-16-2018, 04:26 PM

672 posts, read 838,626 times
I definitely wouldn't call it beautiful, but it's OK.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston4321 View Post
Houston is the not so good looking woman you fell in love with due to her personality, married and you find defending your decision until death do you part.
Blah.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM

132 posts, read 93,971 times
I just drove around the heights Montrose area.. It's freaking beautiful. It's quirky.

Houston is Houston. You're not gonna find another city in the USA thats built like Houston... maybe Los Angeles.

You can get your car looked at at a mom and pop car shop and walk to get your hair cut or your nails did.

And if you're into medicating yourself, 9 times outa 10 the next door shop happens to be a 420 shop.

Houston is truly unique.
But Houston isn't for everyone. Just like NYC isn't for everyone. Or LA. Or Chicago. Or Miami. Or Orlando. I can go on. But you get it. So I wont.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 PM

1,896 posts, read 804,126 times
I wish the Houston metro would invest more in planting and saving trees alongside our roads, feeder roads, and along our bayous. Houston isn't gifted with much natural beauty, but the subtropical climate can be taken advantage with vegetation.

It's pretty cool Houston is where the coastal prairie with rugged trees like Oaks meet the Piney Woods. I do love me some mature oaks but I think Houston's most beautiful area are the Memorial Villages between BW8 and the Galleria Area. You really feel like you are in a different state among those 40 foot tall pine trees.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,274,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
I wish the Houston metro would invest more in planting and saving trees alongside our roads, feeder roads, and along our bayous. Houston isn't gifted with much natural beauty, but the subtropical climate can be taken advantage with vegetation.

It's pretty cool Houston is where the coastal prairie with rugged trees like Oaks meet the Piney Woods. I do love me some mature oaks but I think Houston's most beautiful area are the Memorial Villages between BW8 and the Galleria Area. You really feel like you are in a different state among those 40 foot tall pine trees.
Vegetation is natural beauty. Even that which is planted by man still would have its form and growth shaped by nature. But issues arise because many people/landscapers in this city seem to have a mistaken notion about things that "belong/don't belong," regardless of the truth regarding specific needs of the plant.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,019,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post

All of east texas has tall pine trees. Even parts of central texas has them like basdrop.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:14 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Vegetation is natural beauty. Even that which is planted by man still would have its form and growth shaped by nature. But issues arise because many people/landscapers in this city seem to have a mistaken notion about things that "belong/don't belong," regardless of the truth regarding specific needs of the plant.
Yeah I was going to say the same. Some of the most beautiful cities in the world are not in scenic areas. They are planned better and they use what they got to their advantage. Houston worked against what they got for so long. They could have made better use for their bayous. Like a gulfcoast bayou version of Venice. But they shunned the bayous and are now only starting to focus back on it but the damage is done. Houston is blessed with beautiful trees all over the metro. That can also be beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston