Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A large, bustling downtown in our future?
It's a possibility 49 45.37%
Never 54 50.00%
Other 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Houston was podunk town until the 1990's. The reason they lost their football team in the 90's was they didn't have the population or the money to even support an NFL franchise

Houston's population in 1980 was 1.5 million ( http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De...h_hist_pop.pdf )

City with NFL teams and their current population (city proper):
Nashville - .6 million
Baltimore - .6 million
Cincinnati - .3 million
Green Bay - .1 million
Seattle - .6 million

BTW, why doesn't LA have an NFL franchise? Is it the lack of population or money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 02:30 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What I also know is that our city is trying to densify. All I'm saying is that I would like to see it done in a way that expands our downtown, brings more life into the district, cultivates the architectural landscape, and have it done in a way that takes advantage of the large grid we already have in the core.
It's probably a question of whether they'd be allowed to expand our downtown. It's pretty surrounded, and I'm not just talking the freeway ring. Midtown, the Museum District, the Washington Corridor, River Oaks, and Montrose are all in the western vicinity and I don't know if they'd be willing to be swallowed up.

Perhaps it could expand east or north, but I don't remember if those places are flood-prone, which might be a reason why they never developed that far.

I'd honestly like to see downtown link up with Greenway Plaza and eventually with Uptown to form one continuous skyline, but like I said, you'd be swallowing up a lot of neighborhoods along the way.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
It's probably a question of whether they'd be allowed to expand our downtown. It's pretty surrounded, and I'm not just talking the freeway ring. Midtown, the Museum District, the Washington Corridor, River Oaks, and Montrose are all in the western vicinity and I don't know if they'd be willing to be swallowed up.

Perhaps it could expand east or north, but I don't remember if those places are flood-prone, which might be a reason why they never developed that far.

I'd honestly like to see downtown link up with Greenway Plaza and eventually with Uptown to form one continuous skyline, but like I said, you'd be swallowing up a lot of neighborhoods along the way.
Well, I'd like the development to incorporate those neighborhoods and give them a more seamless transition into the actual CBD. Midtown would still be Midtown, though, and Museum District would still be the Museum District; just more built up.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Houston's population in 1980 was 1.5 million ( http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De...h_hist_pop.pdf )

City with NFL teams and their current population (city proper):
Nashville - .6 million
Baltimore - .6 million
Cincinnati - .3 million
Green Bay - .1 million
Seattle - .6 million

BTW, why doesn't LA have an NFL franchise? Is it the lack of population or money?
Fair enough, I should have been more specific. All those cities listed sans Green Bay are FAR more industrious with their population. And far more affluent with their fan base. LA is a unique situation. They have never been able to truly support an NFL team. The Rams were a disaster as were the Raiders. A combination of a lot of factors that would be off topic for this thread. But regarding the other cities, especially Nashville, since that is where the Oilers moved to, Nashville was on the uptick, fast growing population, lots of jobs and strong college football base.

I'm from St. Louis, and we lost the Rams around the same time Houston lost the Oilers and it was the same reason. Phoenix at the time was thriving and growing, St. Louis was dying. St. Louis had a large population but it was not affluent and it was far from industrious. It's the same reason the owner of Jacksonville's team is threatening to leave as well.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I should have been more specific. All those cities listed sans Green Bay are FAR more industrious with their population. And far more affluent with their fan base. LA is a unique situation. They have never been able to truly support an NFL team. The Rams were a disaster as were the Raiders. A combination of a lot of factors that would be off topic for this thread. But regarding the other cities, especially Nashville, since that is where the Oilers moved to, Nashville was on the uptick, fast growing population, lots of jobs and strong college football base.

I'm from St. Louis, and we lost the Rams around the same time Houston lost the Oilers and it was the same reason. Phoenix at the time was thriving and growing, St. Louis was dying. St. Louis had a large population but it was not affluent and it was far from industrious. It's the same reason the owner of Jacksonville's team is threatening to leave as well.
The reason why the Oilers moved is because Bud Adams wanted a new stadium, and Houston wouldn't give him one.

If you think that a city is industrious and affluent by agreeing to the demands of a NFL owner, well.......

Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The reason why the Oilers moved is because Bud Adams wanted a new stadium, and Houston wouldn't give him one.

If you think that a city is industrious and affluent by agreeing to the demands of a NFL owner, well.......
That is exactly why Bill Bidwell took the Cardinals out of St. Louis. And why do you think both cities refused to build a new stadium? I'll give you a hint, neither city could afford it.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM

581 posts, read 924,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, I'd like the development to incorporate those neighborhoods and give them a more seamless transition into the actual CBD. Midtown would still be Midtown, though, and Museum District would still be the Museum District; just more built up.
Chicago just doesn't quit. I was looking at google and I swear downtown Houston would fit in a little corner of the massive area comprising downtown Chicago today. I was reading that downtown Chicago has about 121 million square feet of office space to Houston's 37 million. That means downtown Chicago has over three times and about 84 million square feet more of office space than downtown Houston.

Okay, let's say that downtown Houston grows on average at about 10 million square feet every twenty years, that would mean it will take 160 years for downtown Houston to equal downtown Chicago.

In the pictures posted of downtown Houston and downtown Chicago, it was obvious from my point of view that the latter looked about six times larger than the first.

If I have learned anything from this thread, it is that the downtown areas within the state of Texas are rather pathetic. No wonder we compare and contrast Houston to Dallas. They both look rather putrid compared to most everything outside of the state.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
That is exactly why Bill Bidwell took the Cardinals out of St. Louis. And why do you think both cities refused to build a new stadium? I'll give you a hint, neither city could afford it.
Not really. Not many cities can really 'afford it'. But if they use tax dollars to fund it, you need voter approval. Houston felt it still had a viable place to play and had just spent a bunch of money for remodeling it. They decided against giving money to an owner who developed quite a negative image in the area. While another city was courting the exposure the NFL would bring it.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Chicago just doesn't quit. I was looking at google and I swear downtown Houston would fit in a little corner of the massive area comprising downtown Chicago today. I was reading that downtown Chicago has about 121 million square feet of office space to Houston's 37 million. That means downtown Chicago has over three times and about 84 million square feet more of office space than downtown Houston.

Okay, let's say that downtown Houston grows on average at about 10 million square feet every twenty years, that would mean it will take 160 years for downtown Houston to equal downtown Chicago.

In the pictures posted of downtown Houston and downtown Chicago, it was obvious from my point of view that the latter looked about six times larger than the first.

If I have learned anything from this thread, it is that the downtown areas within the state of Texas are rather pathetic. No wonder we compare and contrast Houston to Dallas. They both look rather putrid compared to most everything outside of the state.
Chicago's office vacancy rate is 50% higher then Houston's as well. I guess we could just build more space and leave it empty.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post

I never explicitly stated that I wished for our downtown to be as large as Chicago. In fact, in another post, I say otherwise

Quote:
Clearly, what we've been discussing for the past few pages is how we can improve it. With that said, do you have something of substance to contribute to the discussion, or are you just here to be the usual annoyance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston